3D Printing Requests

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by aXLe, Jun 16, 2013.

1. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

all good. m3k sure does work fast :p

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

omg yes. I got my print today :eek::eek:
    less than 36 hrs later. hahahaha. champion.

20210506_173118(1).jpg 20210506_173127(1).jpg

ducks are hilarious when you open the parcel
    edit - print is an LCD and controller frame in black. impossible to photograph at night with my potato phone
    take my word for it. quality is tops :)

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Ratzz and m3k like this.
  3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yep he sure does. My drive cages are already on the way, shipping details 3 of them, totalling 8 hrs of printing and 200gm of material, for ~12 bucks. ~9 bucks for shipping via Sendle, and he shipped them before I'd even paid the total of 21 bucks. Super impressed and grateful :thumbup:.

Thanks heaps for the offer though, kudos to all of you legends with printers who do stuff for other members :thumbup:. Given the price of the various stuff I've had done, I doubt any of you are even charging enough to cover your power bill, the materials seem to be the only cost you pass on, which is doubly impressive.

Given I know how long it takes to print stuff, and the fact that you all have your machines pumping out product what must be nearly 24/7, tying your machines up so that you probably have to schedule your own stuff into the queue, I (and I'm sure everyone else who needs stuff done) am much appreciative.

I know if I had a printer.. or more correctly when I get a printer :D.. I'll be printing all da fings, and it will probably be like 10 years before I can fit other people in :lol:.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    m3k likes this.
  4. mike-s

mike-s Member

I'm not sure if it was my "other" filament having gone bad, or if it just doesn't play at all well with my printer and stopped abruptly a handful of layers in. But the moment I switched to a new roll of Up Filament, things were looking pretty good once again. Apologies for getting slightly off topic while trying to figure this out.

Attached Files:

5. m3k

m3k Member

its the poor cooling of the thermal throat i think- the PC-ABS blend is just ideal for that whole extrusion system- if you lower the temp significantly you can get it to print everyday ABS alright- but... idk it never looks as good. i personally only use PC ABS on up bots exclusively - and treat them as engineering style printers and not knick knacks
    i also think their PC abs blend warps less, and also has less styrene offgassing so it stinks less- maybe even less toxic lol

i was told that abs pellets used in most cheap abs are made for injection molding which requires a bit of shrinkage on cooling for it to pop out of the mold after cast... like its a slightly desirable trait to have in the polymer- So they mix the styrene and such accordingly- But there are ABS blends that dont warp with custom pellets that are not intended for injection molding- so you can still print with abs without having too much headaches- just need the right kind of ABS. idk if i was being taken for a ride though- im no material scientist either way any material that exhibits lots of shrinkage gives me headaches so i try to avoid them or use fiber-re-enforced versions that alleviate it - even if the print gets a bit weaker. i prefer the less chance of failure. even with an enclosed build area

also the only way i can think of filament going bad is moisture and heat but assuming you kept it in cool dry place it might just be a bad batch? when extruding you might hear snaps and pops- thats either the plastic breaking down and offgassing from being print too hot- or moisture escaping and boiling off

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Received my 3 (2x 2.5") drive cages yesterday. A pair of them are for my rig, the 3rd one is for Eva's rig.
    Super impressed with the print quality, price and service. I highly recommend m3k to anyone who wants prints done.
    I even got a pair of tiny ducks thrown in, just as MUTMAN did. A nice touch !!

I should post a pic of one of them populated I guess, but I haven't bothered extracting the drives in question from their current temporary homes. I'll update this post with said pic when I get around to doing so.

Essentially, the 2 flat bits screw to the sides of the drives, one flat bit on each side of a pair of drives, and then the assembled pair just clip into the larger piece, which has already been screwed or otherwise attached to whatever face in your project you want to use.

If you want to buy anything vaguely similar, if such a thing even existed on the usual websites, you'd be paying like 25 bucks x3, so the total of 21 bucks to have all 3 printed and shipped is a total bargain. Having something that is exactly what I needed, which is commercially unavailable - priceless. :thumbup:

IMG_20210512_004842.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    MUTMAN likes this.
  7. m3k

m3k Member

thank you for the kind words, low key if the clipping mechanism breaks ill print it again in something with more flex/take more abuse like nylon or abs
    as most peeps here with printers know, its not an ideal orientation for a flexing mechanism -_- i printed a little bit hotter than usual to help- but i cant promise itl hold up like nylon/abs will- I just didn't have any black of either on me at the time
    no need to promote printing with me in particular- but I whole heatedly approve promoting printing with fellow OCAUers- spread the love

also its just so satisfying seeing people solve problems with something so simple as some prints in their day to day life, if i were a wealthier man id probably do these at a loss just for the emotional pay off. but thanks for covering my costs 'n funding my bubble tea addiction LOL

Elmf, MUTMAN and Ratzz like this.
  8. mike-s

mike-s Member

I definitely think it is the throat thing as you described more so than water absorption as there is absolutely zero popping or other funny business. You are right in that it could be a dud batch however. But I'm not planning on expending the time and effort to see if it is as it works just fine with the up filament.

Anyone in Sydney want around 800 grams of this ABS for free that *might* be ok but my printer just cannot handle? I've split it onto two reels as an attempt to make it work by reducing the weight of the reel that had to be manhandled by the extruder stepper.

9. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

10. m3k

m3k Member

yea ok how fast do you need it? are u in syd?

11. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Not in a rush and I am in the Southern highlands so I will be happy to pay a few if you can post it

12. m3k

m3k Member

its small enough for snail mail- :D pm me with deets -
    ill print a couple just incase, ill pay for everything parts are so smol :p dw about paying back

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    MUTMAN likes this.
  13. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Long shot, but I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out with one half of this, please.

I've got the USG, CK and US-8-150, so I really need the two 'inside' sets of supports - no need for the top patch or bottom Arris sets.

I was going to bastardise something up from wood, but this would be much tidier :thumbup:

Cheers!

14. m3k

m3k Member

pm me with howmany of each STL u want printed and ill send it over first thing monday :D

juzz86 and MUTMAN like this.
  15. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Mate you're a legend, thankyou. PM incoming shortly :) :thumbup:

16. mike-s

mike-s Member

This thread should really be renamed "ask m3k to print stuff for me" as he's doing an awesome job of doing all these, and checking far more frequently than I or anyone else have a chance of doing.

juzz86, Ratzz and MUTMAN like this.
  17. nibennett

nibennett Member

Yeah, I haven’t been checking as often as usual since I’ve been busy with my work. That and when I was last on holidays was printing stuff for myself. (Open f1 rc car)

m3k and MUTMAN like this.
  18. m3k

m3k Member

LOL

i got email notifications on :p and it just pops up on my phone- and i hate to see people get stuck on projects makes me feel uneasy esp when i got a free printer doing nothing - and with sendle they just pick it up from my doorstep so i dont have to really.. do anything just slam print throw it in a bag and chuck it on the front door

i really want to print the truggie or a variant of RC offroader

anyway soon ill have to build some prototypes for work and ill have months of machine's being tied down so im sure somebody else will take my place.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    juzz86, MUTMAN and whatdoesthisdo like this.
  19. nibennett

nibennett Member

Sendle don't come out where I am. Need to take the trip to a post office.

Pics of the open rc f1 car.
    That was without the locking pin that holds the top part above the battery / esc down.
    I remixed the files from the single colour version to print it 3 colour with the mmu2s to make it more like the mclaren colours.

I went with the Tamiya rubber wheels for the better traction.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    m3k, mike-s and MUTMAN like this.
  20. m3k

m3k Member

thats sick!

Yeah honestly- As community driven as I am.... im still lazy AF, id rather pay the money out of my own pocket than leave the house to post stuff LOL

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    MUTMAN likes this.