3D Printing Requests

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by aXLe, Jun 16, 2013.

1. mike-s

mike-s Member

I totally get the sentiment there. I'll be honest, as much si would like to help others, 1) I'm still sorting teething problem with only having gotten my tronxy recently. 2) my list of things to do around the house of a mile long and I'm trying to burn my way through them before doing too much for others, slow as it seems to be too get through my list.

m3k likes this.
  2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If I had When I buy a printer, I can assure you that given the time it takes to print something (as well as the noise in my tiny 2 bed house) my own stuff would will be my priority for a long time.. or at least until I'd I've burnt through every interesting thing I could can find in thingiverse :lol:

Then, I'll spread the love. So kind of all the guys in here who are doing so already :thumbup:.

3. m3k

m3k Member

u can get a quiet printer nowdays :)- if you have free time i highly rate getting a crappy little ender3 Highly affordable Ender 3! and then modding the crap out of it! :)

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    MUTMAN likes this.
  4. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Elitist. The ender 3 is not "crappy"

m3k and tumutbound like this.
  5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

it's all relative right ?
    m3k might be running some high end printer, so comparitively the ender is poorer machine ...

6. m3k

m3k Member

haha i love the ender3 but yeah, it's probably elitism- I do have high standards,
    dont get me wrong- The print quality from ender3s are fantastic- and with the right mods id be good suggesting one... buuuuttt

its just too-many corners cut IMO for me to call it "great"
    I personally am not a fan of their control boards, the poor quality fans that get loud after a few months, the loud stepper drivers, the Teflon lined hot ends, The wiring job that is neither twisted nor ferreted to avoid EM, The lack of High temperature Silicone highly multistranned wiring instead its thick stranded PVC coated wiring that is prone to fatigue and failure. the lack of proper machined and milled hotends - ender3's used Fake xt60's that lit on fire but it appears that has been addressed..

but like- it was a necessary evil- it was the race to the bottom- its how cheap you can go without setting fire to your customers houses but not give them a bad printing experince LOL

im sure ender3's have empowered many people who cant justify or budget something like the original prusa i3m3ks which IMHO is more ideal of a bed slinger for a novice that will grow with them

alternative printers that are in a slightly higher price bracket but address half these things is for example the artillery genius and sidewinder for example- but they too have their own corners cut alot like the ender tbh

but at-least u get some quality of life improvements like- being able to have it in the same room as you while its printing.

i do respect the move the ender3 made from 12v to 24v - it allows them to cheap out on wire gauge a little-bit too-

7. nibennett

nibennett Member

Yep.
    I went the Prusa mk3 so I didn’t have to do all the upgrades early on and end up spending similar anyway. (I wanted something that just worked and being able to trust it to keep going when I’m at work / asleep etc)

I have done upgrades to it since then particularly around the mmu2 and having that work reliably and some to make the print quality even higher / faster.
    BMG version of the extruder.
    Bear frame
    Sunon fan for the hot end. (The noctua that comes with it works but the sunon although louder gives me more room for a higher temp in my enclosure without heat creep becoming an issue.

m3k likes this.
  8. m3k

m3k Member

yeah sunnons are great blow way more air and not too loud- and they dont go all buzzy and rattley like cheaper fans/stock creality fans - granted that can be fixed with a little bit of oil and a new sticker :p

i have built many i3 mk3s (and ate alot of haribo) and while not owning any of my own- i cant help but recommend them immediately to any newbie
    id love to buy a prusa mini - i think that would be fun- however without using one first hand i cant recommend it but im sure itl be fine

though if somebody were printing strictly miniatures, i might flip and say go mod a ender3 because tbh- i think they lay layers nicer if built correctly - Due to the vslot rollers being adjustable - and you can practically adjust out all the slop in all the axis.

edit: ANYWAY im sorry if i come across as rude- or a know it all* ender3s aren't crappy I take it back.

nibennett likes this.
  9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The fact that I often see the first few months of someone owning a printer appears to be occupied with printing upgraded parts for the printer itself, along with stuff like a new heated bed and motors/control mechanisms etc is one of the main reasons I haven't bought one yet. It puts me off. I want a printer that I can take out of the box, set up, read the pamphlet, download a simple project and just go for it.

I can learn how to create my own models later, I'm very competent with Sketchup. I can't see that I would have much problem learning to create an STL file - in fact the Pro version of Sketchup can export in STL, I'd just have to keep downloading the Pro version using burner email addresses to keep me on a months trial indefinitely.

It just seems to me that the out of box experience, at least with the cheaper printers, is not as matured yet as it needs to be.

The other issue for me is the limited print size of the cheaper printers. I would want a significantly larger bed and print height than appears to be available with the cheaper printers.

10. m3k

m3k Member

sounds like u need a prusa lol

MUTMAN and nibennett like this.
  11. nibennett

nibennett Member

The original Prusa’s (Mk3S & Mini) are probably the closest to that that you’ll find in the consumer kind of price range.
    Only a couple times in the 3 years of having my mk3s have I wanted a bigger printer and in those cases I printed the object as a couple parts and joined them.

they do sell them as kits which are cheaper and it’s just assemble, dial in the live z and off you go. Also a large Facebook group where there is lots of great knowledge about them, and help if you are having issues. Prusa support are also great.
    They also do sell them as assembled but that obviously costs a bit more.
    Yep, I was just typing that when you replied.

Ratzz likes this.
  12. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Ha don't be it was just a jab. I've had the Prusa MK3 in my cart 3 times now but couldn't pull the trigger because of the price. Being over 1K with shipping puts it at $1500. It's not a good buy these days.

Mini+ is a better proposition for the masses but they still need to fix a few issues. Some have had perfect performance a few experienced users have had shocking quality. Sub $300 printers beat it. Glad to see it has a 32bit board. This will likley be my second printer once they have it sorted.

The MK3 needs another update there's enough demand and many of us want that alluded to bigger build volume version they mentioned on the mini release.

The ender 3 has some cons but far too many pro's to not to consider it as your first printer. It's far more assembled and works out of the box for a very good price. Shipping units often already in Australia @ a price that's hard to beat. Thermal runaway protection not being enabled on all + not always using a mean well power supply was a bone head move from creality. The community has somewhat shaped that though feedback.

Also there are some very good alternatives to the ender now.

13. m3k

m3k Member

cr10 smart seems promising- i dont like how it uses the nozzle to home though, it flexes and makes me feel uneasy- u didn't hear it from me but maybe artillery might have a new line coming too- the price to entry is dropping big time

im still of the mindset of buying a cr10 /ender3 and doing a full overhaul if you're low on cash right now- teaching tech has somany good guides to turn your ender3 into a workhorse that is just start print and walk-away

14. apsilon

apsilon Member

That was pretty much me as well. I didn't want the printer itself to be the hobby, I wanted a tool. I've had the kit sitting around for ~18 months after some more important things came up but having now finally built it I'm pretty impressed with how dialled in Prusa have them out of the box. I bought the kit version because I like assembling stuff and figured it's a good way to get familiar with it for future maintenance and have to say, the assembly manual is one of the best I've come across. Using the current online version along with comments on each step from the community really made things easy.

At some point I'll start offering to print things for other people but so far the printer virtually hasn't stopped since I finished it 2 weeks ago.

nibennett, MUTMAN, m3k and 1 other person like this.
  15. nibennett

nibennett Member

Agreed. Very easy to follow, and definitely helpful having done it for when you do need to do maintenance.
    Are you in the Prusa Community Forum - Original Prusa MK2/2.5, MK3, MMU2, MINI & Mods facebook group if your on FB? (Almost 20,000 members at this point and quite helpful if you do have issues. )
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/prusacommunity/

16. apsilon

apsilon Member

No, don't use Facebook.

17. GettinThere

GettinThere Member

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    m3k likes this.
  18. argent

argent Member

I'm looking at getting some 3d printed feet for my Meshlish - what's the best material/setting would be recommended for this sort of use? I've looked at kad3d in Adelaide to be doing this for me at this stage but I'm not 100% sure if there's something special that's needed. https://www.kad3d.com.au/3d-printing-adelaide so you can see the options they provide. Basically after a reasonable cheap yet lasting piece - I already have the models downloaded from SSUPD.

19. nibennett

nibennett Member

that’s a computer case right ? So looking for some feet for outside that printed?

where in SA are you ? (Guessing SA since you linked a place here)
    (I’m out on the edge of the Barossa.)

20. argent

argent Member

Yes it's a case so it'll need to be strong enough to hold like 10kg or so without issues. I'm located in Norwood so edge of the wine country might be a little out of the way :) That's why I linked Kad3D... my issue was that I have no idea what settings would be suitable for my use case ie. I don't know if what I'm selecting is perfectly good for what I want or is it overkill or completely unsuitable.