3D Sound and Digital Cables - Why your games are in stereo only

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by rawhide, Oct 25, 2005.

1. CaveDog

CaveDog Member

Came here from teh front page of OCAU, and you have just given me the answer that I have been searching for for around 4 months. I'm going to go shopping for a real sound-card now.

2. surenw

surenw Member

nice dawg. good stuff.

3. Circlestrafe

Circlestrafe Member

Bought an x-fi about 6 months ago, was wondering wtf was wrong with it as my nforce2 audio had 5.1 sound in games (battlefield2 mainly). I should've done my homework a little more thoroughly! But the x-fi blows it away when using headphones (in battlefield 2 anyway), so I guess it's a decent tradeoff. I just need a new receiver that accepts analogue inputs vs my current which only accepts digital.

4. GSX-R

GSX-R Member

Or you could do what I do...

I have the Z-680s (very similar to the 55s, has digital optical, coaxial, and analogue inputs).

To enjoy divxs/xvids/dvds with already encoded 5.1 AC3 audio streams out to your speakers digitally, you run either an optical or coaxial digital cable to the z55s (and install a proggy called ac3filter and set it to "SPDIF passthrough" mode)

when gaming, simply have the 3 analogue plugs from the back of your soundcard connected to the z55s as well, and switch the z55's amp over to analogue mode..

voila, then you have the best of both worlds :)

5. unconess

unconess Member

Yeah I have both analog and digital connected up to my amp too, but the downside is it adds to the million leads to fiddle with when moving the computer... It's also a bit annoying in my case because my sound card does realtime encoding to Dolby digital and DTS, but every time the computer starts and stops making sound the amp "unlocks" from the signal and has a second or two of delay when another sound starts. I think that's more of an issue with the amp but still a bit frustrating since the digital encoding was a big choosing factor for the card.

6. Pacifist

Pacifist Member

The only justification for one sound card sounding better over another happens at the last stage when the sound is converted to analog.
    Yes, CPU usage may be increased using different sound cards but the actual issue of quality only happens at the analog conversion stage.

So if you plan on using digital SPDIF then what is the point of using an expensive sound card over an internal one with SPDIF?

There can't be any possible loss in digital data barring anything going horribly wrong. The worse that can happen is you use a tiny bit more CPU power with the onboard card. Even a 286 could handle mixing wav data so the CPU loss is no big deal.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  7. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

I was under the impression that some of the cheaper SPDIF solutions re-sample from 44khz to 48khz badly, but that could be a myth.

8. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

I remember buying the original Audigy Platinum thinking that it would fix the problem of not having the NF2 Soundstorm board. Shame I was wrong.
    I use the MistiqueX these days, with optical. There's a minute amount of lag, but for movies it's not a problem.

9. HELL_HOUND

HELL_HOUND Member

hey i need to know where to buy one of these Dolby Digital Live cards, ither the HDA X-Mystique or i also heard the Diamond Xtreme Sound Card also does the same thing. Does anyone know where i can buy one of these from in Perth WA

Thnx

-Hell_Hound

10. user5124

user5124 Member

Those cards are old aren't they?
    I'd recommend the b-enspirer...
    punch b-enspirer into http://www.ausprices.com and you'll see a few places.

11. aerospyke

aerospyke Member

b-inspirer is what auzentech made for other companies, and now they've gone out and making things for themselves (X-Plosion, X-Meridian and X-Mystique).

12. HELL_HOUND

HELL_HOUND Member

Does anyone else know any other cards that are sold in perth and are easy to get hold of that do DDL (dolby digital live encoding)

-Hell_Hound

13. atunguyd

atunguyd Member

Or go for the Razer baracude AC1 it also does the dolby and dts on the fly - plus it's drivers seem more stable than the other cards.

14. toliman

toliman Member

i should point out, the X-Mystique, released in 2005, has a few equivalents, i.e. the HT omega striker,etc. it's an earlier version of the Cmedia chipset, i.e. the CMI-8768/8770, whatever.

in terms of performance, these cards still perform well and have SPDIF digital audio output. some of the newer cards released in 2006/2007 support DTS 7.1ch encoding, etc. are based on the improved Cmedia Oxygen HD (CMI 8788)chipset, which has DTS 7.1ch and DD5.1, etc.

part of the dts/dd encoding technology will also be included in the ASUS Xonar DX PCI /DX2 PCIe and the Auzentech X-Purity / X-Prelude hybrid sound cards (not yet released).

These cards include the Bluegears B-enspirer, sondigo inferno, razer barracuda AC-1, Auzentech X-Meridian, HT omega Claro and Claro+ and lastly, Club 3D Theatron DTS.

they have very similar hardware, software and layout, the CMedia drivers often work on all of the cards, even the X-Meridian and the Razer AC-1, though you do lose their unique hardware functionality. two cards (inferno/B-Enspirer) don't have front panel audio headset/mic connectors, which is only disappointing if you need it, and almost none of them have SPDIF coax connectors (just the claro/Meridian, just the headphone outputs for SPDIF.

there's a pretty indepth sorting of high fidelity soundcard options as part of the AVforums recommended hardware guide here

for purely stereo digital output, i.e. poor analog audio, but high quality digital SPDIF, the ~$40 chaintech av-710 is the easiest way to get a HTPC together with an AV reciever for high quality digital audio.

15. jwjteam

jwjteam Member

Ok, now i have read this thread i am really confused.

I am going to be running Z-5500'S and want a soundcard in NSW for aroudn $130 also, I want it for music, movies and games all in 5.1

Thnx

16. mikechong

mikechong Member

Hi,

I just built a new system with a Gigabyte P35-DS4 mobo, which has the Realtek ALC889A audio codec. This is capable of on-the-fly DTS encoding. I also have an X-plosion from my old system. Since I'm hooking up my digital speakers using optical, am I right in saying both the on-board Realtek and the X-plosion would have the same quality, since the digital signals should be the same? (for analog, I'd guess the x-plosion would be better). So, is there any advantage for me to use the X-plosion over the on-board? (e.g. lower CPU usage, better drivers, etc)

17. Smegger

Smegger Member

I think you should also add the existence of software encoding.
    AC3filter encodes multichannel streams to spdif output on the fly, very nicely I might add.

So why buy a new soundcard?

AC3filter is opensource btw......

18. Fuema

Fuema Member

19. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

I don't think this is right. I've installed it on 2 pc's and hooked it up to a dolby digital reciever using a digital coax and toslink. It treats it as a stereo signal.

20. sunrise

sunrise Member

No, I can also confirm it works, not always greatly but it's there...
    I was playing around with that before I got my b-enspirer last year, and yeah, my receiver was fine with the dolby digital signal it would encode.