1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

3DS Gaming

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by Philll, Jan 10, 2011.

1. TomJ

TomJ Member

Oooh, Bravely Default is a game! I thought you were calling me bravely default :D

2. colmaz

colmaz Member

The New 3DS has improved 3D functionality. The OG 3DS required you to look at it dead on, the new one has eye tracking so you can tilt the 3DS if you want. I still don't use the 3D as I find it gimmicky and you end up with <30fps in some games. I only got the N3DS because I wanted the MH4U N3DS.

3. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

4. Qtr_Mile_Stud

Qtr_Mile_Stud Member

Anyone wacked out their 3DS to play again during the lock down period?

5. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

i happened to just pickup two new games before all the pandemic crazyness kicked in full swing. triforce heroes and kirby battle thing (top right) - playing through doom eternal ps4, then might start playing these 3ds titles :)
    3ds.jpg

6. power

power Member

i've gone back and have been playing some Metroid. I'm not great at Metroid though as i'm not a fan of backtracking which is i know the whole idea of Metroid. lol.

7. Qtr_Mile_Stud

Qtr_Mile_Stud Member

No Zelda games ?

8. Qtr_Mile_Stud

Qtr_Mile_Stud Member

I have been trying t I find copies of Metroid but not many people selling them and if they do it’s over priced

9. power

power Member

yeah i got lucky picked it up for $35 i think, i know it won't drop much more as i don't think it had a massive print run.

10. samos

samos Member

I goddamn just want to play Ocarina Of Time HD... but not on the 3DS. If I could connect this bad boy to a TV and play, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

11. melatonin

melatonin Member

Play another metroid remake, its great and some say better than nintendos remake.

12. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

got heaps (most) of them for 3ds. triforce heroes is just the latest zelda title ive gotten for 3ds.

13. power

power Member

you specifically after the benefits of the 3DS port?

If not the Wii/WiiU has a version.

14. Boneman

Boneman Member

Touch screen menus on Ocarina/Majoras are game changers, impossible to go back. I'm slogging through Bravely Second undub version currently (and Final Fantasy VII emulated).

power likes this.
  15. power

power Member

16. Boneman

Boneman Member

Ah you mean the second half of the game where you have to repeat some sections.

It's actually not as bad as you think -

You are so much higher in level
    You can use the in-built Fast Forward for battles
    Makes it easy to get all jobs/skills learnt on every character and level 99
    The battle system is just plain fun

I didn't know anything about it beforehand so just took it as part of the story, was fun to see the online reactions after I finished lol.

17. Qtr_Mile_Stud

Qtr_Mile_Stud Member

Nice, I have been trying to find Spirit tracks but that one is so inflated in price now and hard to find.

Been playing Link Between Worlds which is really good.

18. Qtr_Mile_Stud

Qtr_Mile_Stud Member

Been trying to find them but people are asking so much for them

I have been limiting myself to maximum $20 for a 3DS/2DS game depending on its rarity.

19. power

power Member

elvis likes this.
  20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Homebrew on a New 3DS (not regular 3DS - needs the faster CPU of the new model) will stream to a TV over network. But the framerate isn't great, and I suspect there'd be lag (I haven't tried it myself, but it's on the list to do).

There are hardware mods for all models of 3DS to stream to HDMI, but AFAIK the service is only offered out of Japan. I'm not sure if there are local modders who can do it. All of the Twitch streamers use that method, as it lets them keep their 3DS consoles 100% legal (not blocked from the eShop), and lets them capture full digital 60FPS lag free as they play.

It is a damn shame that OOT remake is 3DS only. It's an overhauled engine with native 60FPS and much nicer to look at than the N64 original (even with the 3DS's low 400x240 res display). Nintendo need to bring it to Switch stat.

AM2R is magic. 320x240 4:3 native, it looks AMAZING on a CRT (640x480 on a PC CRT is a perfect 2x scale).

But ignoring that, it's a stunning attempt at modernising the game. I prefer it way over the Nintendo official remake, which feels uninspired by comparison.

Music in the Nintendo one is great, but so is AM2R. Graphics and gameplay go to AM2R hands down.

Play it on a controller with rumble (XBox controllers work well) for a nice surprise.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020