<3yr old dead iPhone - normal?

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by wvxman, Jun 1, 2018.

1. wvxman

wvxman Member

G'day gents

If you bought the iPhone X for $1500 today, ignoring warranties or explicit guarantees, how long would you expect it to continue working normally for? 1/2/3/4/5 years? Why?
    Obviously all electronic devices and components have duty cycles and a design life, but if the cheapest burner phone costs $100 and is expected to last 12 months, how long should a $1500 phone last?

I've got an iPhone 6S that died in a similar fashion to bricking, less than a week ago while charging. It set me back $1220 about 2.5 years ago.

I'm currently using an old iPhone which is still rock solid 7.5 years later. I've also got an even older Samsung which is also still working normally. This got me thinking, what corners have been cut with the newer models such that they're dying this soon, and realistically, how long should we expect the latest and greatest to continue to function normally for?

firey4059 likes this.
  2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Are you assuming that all 6s models die because yours did? I don't think that's the case, though of course there is the Apple battery thing. That's not really the same issue though.

I'd hope to get at least 5 years out of a phone, were I to actually keep it that long. I tend to update a little more often than that though. Certainly not every year as many do, but probably every 3 years or so.

Wifes Nokia 640 died an early death, less than 2 years, and my Nokia 830 of the same age had some issues when I lost it a couple months ago. They were Microsoft Nokia's though, crap things. Older and newer Nokia's were/are far better made. I still have a $35 Motorola in the drawer that I bought as a prepaid more than 10 years ago, works perfectly.

firey4059 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    wvxman

wvxman Member

No I'm not making that assumption. My chain of logic was heading toward failure rates of different generations - not a sweeping assumption that all 6s' are inherently lemons.

If you were buying a $1500 iPhone X, would you lean more toward the 3 years or 5? Taking 3 years as the worst case, $500 per annum is pretty steep.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    firey4059 likes this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Personally I would never expect it to completely die, although I would expect it to degrade in performance over time, which is another issue.

But on this issue I would say 5 years would be a reasonable length of time, sure. Definitely not three years for a $1,500 top of the line item. IMO anyways.

firey4059 likes this.
  5. Hater

Hater Member

Take the 6S into an Apple Store and see what they say, they may replace it for free.

I had a 5 die randomly (under warrenty), my mother still uses a 5 to this day. (that she bought new and has been trouble free)

My original iPhone (2G) still fires up.

Lottery I guess.

My SE has been flawless so far, but... i'm only 2 years in.

UK Consumer law dictates 5 years minimum, here it's 2 years.

6. miicah

miicah Member

7. OP
    OP
    wvxman

wvxman Member

Thanks for the contributions so far.
    It is always good in these circumstances to hear other perspectives.

I've attempted to resolve this matter with Apple directly, however, it was made readily apparent that their systems and policies concerning the ACL guarantees preclude their employees from resolving claims with consumers 24(+2) or more months after purchase. The +2 months is an arbitrary discretionary period that their employees claimed to be able to exercise, but nothing beyond. It's at the stage where it will be escalated through complaints to consumer protection bodies and/or brought before a magistrate.

What makes you say that it's 2 years here? My reading of the ACL guarantee is that there is no clearly defined cut-off:

8. Hater

Hater Member

24 months, 2 years, same diff.

9. power

power Member

if you don't drop it 4-5 years. battery notwithstanding.

that said my old HTC Desire (8 years young) still goes ok. Only had 1 battery swap in all that time. I also have perfectly good iphone 4S's.

software goes out of date but apart from that, yeah still just fine.

See below, literally just picked this up off the shelf and turned it on. it's been sitting for at least 6 months still even has a charge.

Also my HTC One M8 still works fine and is 4 years old, i only updated because I wanted a faster device (which is why I always upgrade).

upload_2018-6-1_22-5-32.png

firey4059 likes this.
  10. grrrr

grrrr Member

There is also the whole reception thing.

2G is pretty much gone.

Older phones don't have hardware to receive the newer technologies or bands that are rolling out.

11. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Expect anything to last for as long as the warranty is valid for.
    After that, it's all gamble.

With the number of different components inside tech these days, it's impossible to know how long something will last and easier to expect it not to. Everyone will have different experiences.

12. power

power Member

you have to go a fair way back to have a 2G only device. Say 10 years I reckon. My last 2G phone was my O2 Atom Exec (2006 release) I stopped using when I bought the Desire.

yeah but it's a phone, pretty much a dumb device you can swapout in 15 minutes (not an exaggeration) providing you are using all the backup tools at your disposal.

13. OP
    OP
    wvxman

wvxman Member

Yes but what makes you say 24 months/2 years?
    As I quoted, the ACCC considers that the ACL has no pre-defined cut-off period and i'm inclined to agree.

The Competition and Consumer Act describes it in terms of a "rejection period", whereby the goods can be rejected at any time within a reasonable period after supply (until the failure becomes apparent), having regard for:
    • the type of goods
    • the likely use of the goods
    • the length of time that it is reasonable for them to be used
    • the amount of use that is reasonable before such a failure becomes apparent.
    In simple terms, if a reasonable consumer expects a $1200 phone to last for 5 years, the ACL guarantee will be 5 years. If a reasonable consumer expects a $2000 phone to last 10 years, the ACL guarantee will be 10 years.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  14. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

I never understood the people who upgrade every 1-2 years, to me the difference between phone models is never that significant. But to them 25 months of service is plenty. To me I'm disappointed if a phone lasts less than 4 years. I usually keep on the same phone until it breaks or becomes so slow it's unusable.

Exception is actual jumps in tech, like when I went from a slider to a smartphone.

15. callan

callan Member

Apart from replacing the battery a few years ago (ifixit kit) my wife's mint condition iPhone 3GS is coming up on for 9 years, and still operating perfectly. Admittedly it hasn't seen much action for the past few years but I still keep it charged to %80, and check on it every few months to nudge the battery up, to keep it healthy. My Samsung S5 mini recently had to be replaced after 3 years, however. It was still working fine but had developed the nasty habit of randomly draining batteries (even replacement ones) in a few hours, for no very good reason. Not all the time - just randomly.
    Apple are a bit touchy about the iphone 6/6S: there were several design and manufacturing defects inherent to it, and they were justifiably pilloried for it. I'd expect them to play hardball with repairs as a result.
    The wife and I are both gentle on our phones and at the risk of mozzing myself I've never broken a screen or damaged a phone in over 20 years of owning them.
    My current phone is a Samsung J7 Pro, and that is an absolute bloody cracker of a $450 smartphone, and the first smartphone I have ever had that has run for 7 days on a single charge, with normal use. (Must write a review one day - it's a hidden gem of a phone.
    Samsung battery life.png

Personally and completely subjectively I'd put a 3 year life on a mobile phone under a grand, and 4 years for one more than that. 30 months is piss-poor form for a phone of that price, unless it's been abused, so yes I'd thump the tub pretty loudly if a $1500 phone carked it as early as yours apparently has. That said, I'd be fucking nuts to spend $1200 on any phone these days

l_ QuadX_l and firey4059 like this.
  16. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

Some would say if cell standby takes up 28% of your battery you haven't really been using the phone :p

Cheers for the J7 recommendation though. Despite loving my Galaxy Alpha the battery life seems to be diminishing significantly in it's third year of use :(

17. callan

callan Member

True I'm a relatively light user but the best I've had ot of a phone up till now had been 4 days. Supposedly 8.1 is being rolled out for it.. I'll wait till I see it: Samsung's record for updates is far from stellar....

Callan

18. OP
    OP
    wvxman

wvxman Member

Thanks gents for the further views on this.

Just as a quick snapshot, at this stage 8 views have been expressed. The mode is 4 years, the median is 4 years, and the mean is 3.75yrs.

Please do keep the views coming.

19. zx_spectrum

zx_spectrum Member

3rd Party repairer? Might be worth getting a quote at least, since it is an expensive phone.

20. OP
    OP
    wvxman

wvxman Member

Unfortunately, the defective component is most likely the logic board.
    From my research, unless I did the repair work myself the cost would be on par with paying $430 for another 6S. Cost aside, a replacement 6S would come with warranty so it's also a better value proposition too.