1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

4.1 audio out of macbook pro via toslink

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by justakid, Mar 7, 2012.

1. justakid

justakid Member

Hey guys, I'm trying to connect my boston 7500g 4.1 speakers to my MBP. I am using a optical to coaxial adapter and every thing works except for the rare speakers.

That is the only time the rare speakers work is when I am watching a movie with Dolby audio. Anyone know of a way to have audio come out of all the speakers at all time?

2. adktz

adktz Member

From my own testing, I'm pretty certain that audio will only come out of the rear channels when you're sending a Dolby encoded (e.g. movies) signal. At all other times it's stereo; just what the headphone jack provides.

3. OP
    OP
    justakid

justakid Member

Thanks for the response adktz, seems that way :(

4. gr8bob

gr8bob Member

You'll probably want to head into the Audio MIDI Setup application and see if the speakers are properly configured. :)

5. OP
    OP
    justakid

justakid Member

thanks for the suggestion gr8bob, unfortunately, the only options there are for stereo speakers - the rest are greyed out

6. Jazper

Jazper Member

I spent a long time trying to work this out..

You have a few options -
    1. route the audio through a "proxy" and back through the optical (see soundflower) http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/
    2. use an app that specifically drives the optical out (eg xbmc/boxee/plex)
    3. surrender

7. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Yep, also sometimes some stereo systems will have a 4/5/6 channel stereo option where it mixes the front two channels across all the others.