4 Days in Singapore.....what to do

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Zzapped, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Going to Singapore for a few days in Oct, Looking for some suggestions for things to do apart from the over priced tourist traps........

2. darksilencer

darksilencer Member

Tiger brewery tour... 18SGD for a average tour and unlimited beer for 45 minutes :thumbup:

3. mcmn

mcmn Member

no signboard restaurant for some chilli crab. Gelang (spelling?) is where the original one is, its cheaper, and has a real local vibe about it (but sort of on the edge of Sydney kings cross, or Melbourne king st.)

Alternatively there is one in the city, more exxy, but more resturant vibe.

4. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Zoo - River Safari
    Zoo - Night Zoo
    Zoo - Day Zoo
    Sentosa Island
    Singapore Flyer
    Singapore Gardens By The Bay (technically more of a complete eco system than just gardens).

5. coolroy

coolroy Member

The Zoo, nothing better than Singapore's zoo!!!

The Botanic gardens, pay the extra & visit the Orchid gardens situated inside:)

Sentosa Island--- Universal studios

Shop... till you drop. :thumbup:

6. Zee

Zee Member

Hawker food. Anywhere.

If you want to go to the observation deck at The Sands, skip it and go to the bar instead - you're higher up, with a better view, and the price of the entry to the observation deck will buy you a cocktail, or a couple of beers :thumbup:

Oh, the elevator to the bar is opposite the Ferrari/Lambo car rental place inside the hotel. Just tell the lobby staff you want to go to the bar, and they'll let you up.

Z...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

eat all the hainan chicken rice you can...

8. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

Drool......

+1 on chilli crab/fantastic Indian/malay/... just food in general.

skip the shopping... zoo's night safari is good, botanic garden is good.

Sentosa if you like that sort of thing, if you dont mind sweat and effort, hire a bike and explore.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

or you can eat the black pepper crab.. that was pretty good too

10. redslert

redslert Member

Are there really places that do all you can eat crab?

11. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

I went to a good buffet at a hotel that had chilli crab. I didn't have that much crab as there was other great options to choose from. It wasn't cheap, would have worked out cheaper just to go a chilli crab place..

Oh be careful of some places that don't advertise the price of the crab, I've heard of tourist who have been ripped off badly.

But, I agree with supasaiyan.. hainanese chicken, oh also roti chanai FTW.

12. Renza

Renza Member

and get some teh tarik to go with it!

Was there for 3 days last year (have been there many times, but friends hadn't). Went to universal studios, the zoo, marina bay sands and botanic gardens, orchard road and marina square and clarque quay.

13. -Antiskeptic-

-Antiskeptic- Member

Sentosa for sure, and +1 to the bar @ the sands...

Was lucky enough to see 2 x F22's fly over while I was up there :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

14. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

get on the ferry to bintan island for a few days

15. Zee

Zee Member

Do you have any idea how many times I've been there? I haven't even seen a chopper on a scenic flight, let alone F-22's! I'm jealous!

Z...

16. OP
    OP
    Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys......I was there for a day about 5 years ago when they were still building the marina hotel complex, didnt really get to do much soi this time ive got some better ideas :thumbup:

17. -Antiskeptic-

-Antiskeptic- Member

Yeah I think we were lucky, I'm a massive Aviation Nut, saw the first one and yelled out to my mate and there was another one maybe 10 secs behind it!!!

I can beat that though, when we did a Fraser Island tour, on the way home everyone was asleep, I was peering out the window and a F-18 did fairly low pass straight over the Bus! Only myself and the driver saw it, was awesome! :thumbup:

18. psynix

psynix Member

singaporean here, if you wish to sample our food, http://www.makansutra.com/ will be a good starting point to find out what you may want to try and where you wish to try it. just grab a taxi from your hotel to any of the eating locations.

while you are here, what do you wish to do? shop? sight see? (in which case are you interested in art/museums, cultural, entertainment locations? )sports? sun tan?

other singaporeans here might be able to offer more info.

cheers

19. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Ive got a 9.5 hr stopover (late afternoon all evening) in Singapore weekend after next.

Looking for ideas for things to do.. I'm thinking of trying the bar at the Marina Bay Sands for the night views.. Any other ideas?? We'll need to be back at the airport by about 11:00PM

20. psynix

psynix Member

if you have already planned to be in the marina bay area ....

* drop by asian civilisation museum https://www.acm.org.sg/
    * cross over the singapore river and have a drink at one of the pubs in Clarke Quay
    * or marvel at some colonial architecture ard the area, example our old supreme court, old parliment building.
    * have a look around our esplanade , our version of the sydney opera house www.esplanade.com/
    * eat local dishes at gluttons by the bay http://www.esplanade.com.sg/eat_drink_shop/dining/makansutra_gluttons_bay/index.jsp

* Gardens by the bay www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/ during the early evenings is pretty, when they turn on the coloured lights on the super trees.
    * you might want to visit the F1 pit building
    * and then you hav go up the bar on marina bay sands and enjoy the views.

AVOID :
    * taking the singapore river cruise the duck river cruise. walking along the river is better
    * taking the Singapore Flyer as you will be able to see the same sceanary once u are up marina bay sands.
    * Shop at marina bay sands as its just bloody expensive
    * eat tiger prawns, alaskan crabs as these were the items that was reported as overpriced by tourists.

should be enough for you 9.5hr stay.

oh by the way, keep every receipt of purchase that you have while in singapore as you can claim the GST that you paid at the customs counters in the airport.

you might want to spend 2 hours in teh transit areas of our airports, we have 3 terminals and its full of gardens, shopping (no GST charged here) and food too