40" TV for the kids - What to get?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Benno1988, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Anyone got any best options here?

Needs to be Smart TV obviously. Have the Netflix, Stan, ABC Kids aps etc.

Not be Laggy AF like some cheap "smart TVs" can be.

Built in good enough speakers would be ideal.

Around 40" is fine.

Just don't want to buy a cheapish smart TV and it turns out its laggy and takes 5 minutes to load an app.

Thanks for any help!

2. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

Best bet is go to a store and ask the rep to let you play with a few sets. Some stores won't but I've found Good Guys and Harvey Norman better than JB, in most cases.
    Issue is that vast majority of 40" screens these days are budget - companies don't put their latest and greatest in the small screens because no one's buying them. 55"-65" was the popular size last year and it's only going to increase. Samsung and LG tend to have the snappier interfaces and better software support of the current crop. LG's warranty support however...been getting a fair amount of negativity the last few years due to their hard stance against warranting oled burn-in.

3. power

power Member

nice tv add a chromecast or xb1 or ps4...

4. OP
    OP
    Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Can you use the TV remote to navigate chromecast?

Needs to be simple as. No connecting to a PC or using phone to control it all etc.

Will pop into some stores and look, but generally don't find the staff helpful.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Aldi 58" 4K $555 + XIAOMI 4K Mi Box

6. xc351

xc351 Member

id go cheap dumb tv and as mentioned ps4 or xb1 hell even a PS3 has netflix

Its all we use

Search FB market place cheap plasmas

Our 65" panasonic plasma (2008) uses 500w (12c hr) prolly less as i doubt its 100% all the time

Our 55" Teac LED LCD (3-4 years old uses 150w (4c hr) again thats rated power and i presume its not runing at 100%

I only know as the misses was trying to use this to justify the plasma power usage as a reason to get a new tv.

Lets presume a 65" TV uses 200w (5c hr)

aLso lets presume TV is on for 5hrs a day at full rated power level

7c x 3hrs = 21c per day saved x 365 days per year = $76 each year savings based on 3hrs a day and 100% rated power usage.

Now if were upgrading you would be wanting to at least go bigger so a no name 75" is min $2000

$2000 / 76 = 26 years before we are even.

Needless to saw we are sticking with the plasma picture is great

7. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Wise choice.. Nothing but nothing beats a Plasma for picture quality. deep solid black's etc.

Down side is the supposed higher running costs, and the weight of Plasma when attempting to move them.

8. OP
    OP
    Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

OLED is pretty good :p

I want all aps etc inbuilt, so kiddo can just use the remote, not have to use a smartphone or tablet to control.

9. cevad

cevad Member

I'd work out max budget and work from there. Most smart TVs should have all the things you are after.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Budget?

11. OP
    OP
    Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Cheap as possible, but not crap ha!

Definately under $1000. But most important is that it does the job I want it to do.

TCL has a new series, think they do a 43" for a reasonable price. Would need to have a look and play though.

12. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Pay Peanut's, Get Monkey's.

13. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

I would seriously just buy any tv with a decent picture for about $500 and add a $250 Apple TV 4K. They are so easy to use and has every app under the sun.

frnak likes this.
  14. Copie

Copie Member

Rather a Nvidia Shield TV over an apple TV, has a far broader range of apps and with the game controller you can also play games on it. The UI is very simple and easy to use similar to the apple tv.

The shield also has a chromecast built in.

15. OP
    OP
    Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Will look into that actually.

Just can't be too hard for a kid to use.

16. Copie

Copie Member

Well my mother who is pretty tech illiterate has no problem navigating around a shield tv with the remote, aka watch netflix/plex/amazon video/stan

17. Copie

Copie Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  18. OP
    OP
    Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Roku scores well.

Once I get the net going at new place I'll have a better idea of the setup. Going back to ADSL, if it's shit might go a second Foxtel box and a TV with atleast Netflix. If it's good then maybe Fox now and one of these streamer boxes.

Kid is currently 3. So easier the better, but she will learn whatever eventually.

I do have a PS4 I don't use much too. Just know as soon as I set that up for her a game I want to play will come out.

19. Copie

Copie Member

Roku does score well, they missed a few things in the review, the Shield has google assistant and has a built in chromecast as well.

20. clonex

clonex Member

My 2.5yr old sorta knows how to operate a PS3, turns tv on and then ps3 as itll trigger the tv to switch over to hdmi 1. She'll scroll the menus sideways but going down on the video services section still gets her have a fit if she cant find netflix/abc iview.

The tv we gave to the mil she knew what shows netflix button was for and youtube button was for random animal videos/baby shark song:D hisense unit

Tbh shes a wizz on abc kids abc/netflix apps on the ipad so chromecasting is much easier plus i can app lock it on the ipad.