465g full frame sony

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by chilloutbuddy, Oct 15, 2013.

1. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

Foresight is pretty hard in this industry. If you had said to me even 2 years ago that we would have a full frame mirrorless with 5 axis stabilization on an E-mount platform with S-log and XAVC-S 50mbps at a sub $2000 cost and body that is smaller than most top end APS-C mirrorless (looking at you Fuji XT1) and DSLR bodies.

I would have told you that you're dreaming.

But here we are with no less than 4 Full Frame mirrorless bodies and the world's fastest AF on the a6000 (a mirrorless camera no less).

Anyhow this is great moving forward as those using the original A7 series benefit along with all previous APSC E-mount owners.

2. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

Sony X have just posted that the A7ii will be available in Australia from 15 January 2015 at a SRP of $1999.

3. 13atman

13atman Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  4. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

[​IMG]

As promised.

Things to note:

1. The dials are quite nice and rubberized now
    2. The entire body is quite a bit thicker, noticeably.
    3. Weight is also increased.
    4. There's a manual function for the steadyshot to adjust for third party lenses all the way up to 1000mm.
    5. I'm so use to the shutter button being on top that it's almost weird to use the grip shutter.
    6. New mag alloy rubberized spec finish for the body, quite grippy.
    7. Steadyshot is pretty awesome and more noticeable with longer focal lengths (obviously).
    8. a6000 like AF box dots whilst focusing. This uses hybrid AF with contrast and phase detect (on sensor) working together at the same time.

I haven't had the time to try out the 50mbps XAVCS on video mode but if you're not looking for a 4K recording camera, this is practically the next best thing with the hybrid AF and constant AF.

5. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

Thanks Dan.

Any chance you can test with a LA-EA4 and something like the 70400G2 and let us know how the IBIS and focus speed is?

Anything you can share on the A9?

6. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Nice :)

How's the focus speed compared to the A7? Is it noticeably faster? Steadyshot sounds neat, but the increase in weight/thickness kinda worries me a bit, that's the whole point of looking at ditching my Canon gear, going for a smaller kit etc.

7. jtir

jtir Member

This is my actual pet peeve about the A7 (regular/v1). Although I can't justify the expense to upgrade to A7 II or the A7S. Might have to live with the regular A7 for at least 3 years or more.

8. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

Looking stable on the 70-200GSMII+LAEA4 :) Really shines at longer focal lengths. Also as much as I'd like to let on that I actually know something about the A9, I don't, no-one does, it's not even confirmed to exist at this point.

The official word is 35% faster but it feels even faster than that as you can see the focusing boxes as you move around the frame and in between shots. It seems to be a little smarter as well and is less inclined to focus on the background as opposed to moving subjects in the foreground.

Yeah the shutter placement on the A7 polarizes people somewhat. I don't mind to be honest but I know plenty who do!

9. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Awesome, thanks for the impressions Dan, focus sounds much improved :)

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the A9, and doubly looking forward to dumping the Canon kit :) :thumbup:

10. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Thanks for the info. What sort of increments can you select? How is this selected? Through a menu manually? Or everytime you start the camera up without a lens attached? Does this info get fed into EXIF then?

ta

11. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

In steadyshot you can pick auto or manual. With manual mode it goes up in 5mm increments for I think till around 200mm then its in 50mm increments. Not sure if that is how it will be for final release though.

Basically if you use the 300mm setting on a 200mm lens you'll just amplify the amount of steadyshot that is implemented. If you want it stronger, just up the focal length and if you want it weaker then just reduce the focal length.

Hope that makes sense.

12. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Thanks. I'm just trying to relate it to how Pentax does it (which works quite well for using manual lenses).

When you connect a manual lens the camera detects this and prompts you to select the focal length on startup. So I'm wondering if it does this? Or you have to remember to go into a menu somewhere and select the focus length?

The other bonus of having to select this is that the focus length is then entered into EXIF info which helps a lot for sorting later on and remembering which lens was used for what photo. So I'm wondering if Sony has done this too?

13. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

14. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

Well this is all over the internet even though it was only intended for the private A7/A7R group. The Steadyshot from the A7mii in action.

15. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

The guy from SonyAlphaRumors linked your post in this thread Dan :p

16. random1283

random1283 Member

I think sar is run by a woman, andrea
    she does a top job and is one of the few rumor sites actually worth visiting

17. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

Probably not the best place to be but hey, none of the info is nda. Did get a slight shock seeing the post though!

18. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Haha yea, ah wells, it's good info for marketing anyways ;)

Oops my bad! I get the feeling that some of the rumour sites are run by the same people?

19. random1283

random1283 Member

I get that idea, but the amount of development stuff that comes through SAR makes me think otherwise

20. Alpha2k6

Alpha2k6 Member

The A7II is probably too expensive for my budget, but if there is an A7000 (Nex7 II) with 5-axis stabilization Ill be very interessted in that one :)