1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

465g full frame sony

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by chilloutbuddy, Oct 15, 2013.

1. 2SHY

2SHY Member

I'm using a Canon 24-105 F4L and It's okay.

I do wish for the extra stop of the Tamron. I feel the shots are not sharp enough. I've tried the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC USD in store on my A7R it felt alright.

2. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

I tried the Tamron 28-75/2.8 on my A7. The lens itself wasn't too bad handling wise, but I didn't like the bulk of the whole package with the LEA4 adapter.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  3. crispy12

crispy12 Member

Is the Sony mount version of the 24-70 2.8 VC the same size as the Canikon? Because it would be completely oversized.

I tried the A7 with FE35/2.8 after spending most of the day using the D610+Tamron 2.8VC and my arms really appreciated the lighter load. Felt like holding a pencil compared to the barbell of the D610. The files so far from my Tammy lens though look pretty damn good wide open, almost as good as my Leica 35mm (a prime, nonetheless)

Quite interesting, I hated using the A7 at first but the more I use it, the more and more fond I grow of it. This thread has been giving me Sony GAS for a while..

4. bluedan

bluedan Member

Just ordered a A7+kit lens+adapter for

$1005 from Camerastore.com.au

Was going to wait for MK11 A7 Price to drop, but hard to turn down this price on the A7.
    Now just to find a deal on the 16 35mm F4 and I will have the perfect travel kit :)

BYe bye NIKON !!!

5. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Well I couldn't hold out any longer. Ordered the 24-70 and 16-35. Camerapro have reduced the price on the 24-70 again to $823 and used the digidirect 10% for the 16-35.

6. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

That's a stonking good price for the 24-70.
    It's a good lens (once distortion is corrected) and I love the images Zeiss glass produces (I've got 5 Zeiss lenses now).

You'll love the 16-35. In my opinion its the equal of its fantastic A-mount brother.

7. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Any recommendations for aftermarket batteries? I've got a couple but they don't last anywhere near as long as the one genuine one I have. Not really wanting to fork out $90 per battery for originals.

8. kronikabis

kronikabis Member

While not for a7, I've used the ones from betterbatt.com.au for my A6000 always been excellent

9. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Thanks. I'll check them out.

10. CrazyNuts

CrazyNuts Member

Have to ask, why did you jump from Nikon to Sony?

Is the Sony really that much better than say a D810?

Genuine question as I haven't kept up with the whole dSLR war of late.

11. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

I jumped from Nikon (D800, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200, 85 1.4D) to Sony A7r a bunch of FE lenses

Haven't looked back.

12. Sadant

Sadant Member

Which lenses did you get?

13. jars121

jars121 Member

I went with my mate to George's in the CBD yesterday evening to have a look at the new A72. He was tossing up between the mk.II and the A7s, but eventually ended up with the mk.II given how competitively priced it is at the moment. From memory it was only $50? more expensive here than in the US (around $1800 for the body), which included the Metabones mk.IV Canon adapter, which itself is valued at $800.

He wanted to pair it with the 55mm, but it was out of stock, so he ended up with the 35mm instead. All in all it seems like a really nice camera. I hadn't played with any of the A7's before, but I did notice how better the ergonomics on the mk.II were compared to the original. My mate is just stoked to finally be moving away from Canon; he's got a full range of L glass, but he's never really 'connected' with his 6D, so hopefully the Sony is indeed the way forward :thumbup:

14. Digit

Digit Member

Would you get the Sony A7ii over a Nikon D750? Main considerations are general photography (portraits, candids, street, cityscapes etc), but hoping to move into some video, landscape timelapse when i get some time. So far i'm leaning towards the Sony for the video component, but the Nikon for the stills and lens selection. Would the Sony be that much better than Nikon in video? Currently have a Canon 300D so existing equipment isn't much of a driver.

Would it be worth going the Nikon (perhaps a 2nd hand D800) and a Sony A7S and use a metabones adapter to streamline the lenses required?

Kinda fantasising at the moment (as i can't afford to buy either right now, but i'll be in that position hopefully in the next couple of months).

15. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

16. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

Those are US prices.

We get hit with the 'Australian' tax this time especially on the SEL24240 and thew SEL35F14Z!

SEL24240 | SRP $1499 | Available March '15
    This is US$999 RRP in US
    Might be rethinking my plan to get this. It is a hell of a lot of money for a lens that of necessity has to make compromises.

SEL28F20 | SRP $699 | Available from April '15

Fisheye converter
    SEL057FEC | SRP $499 | Available from April '15

Ultra Wide converter
    SEL075UWC | SRP $399 | Available March '15

SEL35F14Z | SRP $2499 | Available from April '15
    Ouch! This is US$1699!

SEL90M28G | Price & Availability TBC
    The only one with no launch date and price.

All prices off the Sony Australia Facebook page. Nothing on the Sony AU website yet.

I think we will have to get used to Australia no longer being one of the cheapest places to purchase A7 bodies and lenses.

17. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Hmm. True. Still interested in the 28mm, but it will have to be pretty good for that price.

18. adamadam

adamadam Member

Ouch. I would really like the 35mm 1.4, but, it costs so much more!

19. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

So after a couple of months owning the A7R, I have to the Sony colours are amazing. The Canons are cartoony and over-saturated in comparison IMO. I rarely ventured into the medium contrast setting in LR because it inevitably worsened the issue, and colours are a chore to deal with. But Sony's seem to handle it well. (adobe standard profile).

I am in the process of switching over to the A7II. I'm hoping the low-light AF is better because I had to shoot MF almost my entire previous shoot. The giant red beam was useless.

It would be a shame to be forced back into DSLR land because of the AF .. love the 55/1.8!

20. SyN

SyN Member

Still less than leica and you get autofocus on top !