4890 Temps ? What is safe ?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Will S, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Will S

Will S Member

GPU1: GPU Diode (MemIO) 108 °C (226 °F)

Am running GPU folding but if that temp for 24 hour operation is dangerous then its not for me

2. slyls1

slyls1 Member

108C??? I would say that is too hot, but that is just me, the 4890 should hang around 70-80C max if you have decent case cooling.

3. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

It should scale itself back if it gets too hot. However 108 does sound quite toasty. Mine hits up to around 80-85.

4. mrpiccolod

mrpiccolod Member

Yea that is a little too high, both of mine hover around 75-85 under full load with a decent OC. Check your fans speeds, perhaps it is on manual and quite low?

5. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

I think its to close to the other 4890 and the fan is just sucking hot air from that card

Might move it to the pci-e x8 slot

GPU1: GPU Diode (MemIO) 90 °C (194 °F)

GPU2: GPU Diode (MemIO) 66 °C (151 °F)

6. mrpiccolod

mrpiccolod Member

Ah I just saw you have the vapor-x models, man that is way too hot for that cooling solution. I think your right on my setup the top card is always a few degrees higher too. Just up the fan on the top card, from what I hear they are very quiet anyway.

7. Alba

Alba Member

My 3 XFX cards dont go over 70c core temp, not sure what the MEMIO temp is, maybe memory?, never really payed attention to that one. I will next time.

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm not sure for memory, but the rest of the card shouldn't go over 100C

9. Sat321

Sat321 Member

Hey

I have a crossfire setup with 2 Vapor - X 4890's too.

Sometimes MemIO diode on the master card reads over 100 °C . It seems to me that MemIO has something to do with memory. The second card's memory remains cool because it's memory is completely inactive in crossfire setups.

His XFX cards use the official cooler which efficienlty cools the entire PCB. Vapor-X models however only cool cruical components of the PCB (memory chips, GPU itself and other) I think that the MemIO diode is located outside the vapor-x's cooling capabilities.

@Will S Are you using EVEREST ? Well I do. Maybe there's a bug in the current relase.

10. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

yes...using Everest but the cards run hot...just put your hand over them when running and feel the heat radiating

anyway the card is dead ( see other thread )....................had trouble with it in single mode and whilst it worked for a while in Crossfire it wasnt stable

anyway have swapped everything around.........the 58 mobo with i7920 has been moved to the Test Bench and the MA790 mobo with the Phenom has gone into the Case along with remaining 4890.....when I get it back it will go in there because it has more room between the slots even through its only 8x slot

GPU Diode (MemIO) 80 °C (176 °F)
    GPU Diode (Shader) 71 °C (160 °F)
    GPU Diode (DispIO) 72 °C (162 °F)
    Motherboard 44 °C (111 °F)

and thats with GPU folding, will give GPU folding the flick from these cards

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  11. Sat321

Sat321 Member

I checked the other thread('s). Looks like you just got a bad card - mobo combination (A bad card itself too). You said you've had problems with the card since you've bought it, well I haven't and it still reads 100+ °C on that diode.

I'm going to try if it still goes that high in non-crossfire mode tomorrow. (tried it and it doesn't)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  12. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

Found out its not the mobo...........the card wasnt seated properly in the Test Bench

Like I said...........will be putting it in theMA790X-UD4P and that has a bigger gap between slots when it gets back

13. mrpiccolod

mrpiccolod Member

The MEMORY IO temp is always the hottest on mine and can get up to 7 degrees higher than the core temp. This has always been the case with all my video cards.