1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

4G/LTE SMA Antenna F/ Huawei E5186 ADVICE?!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by SSJ4, Mar 6, 2018.

1. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Gday Everyone,

Anyone here use a 4G sim compatible modem? I have a Huawei E5186 from Optus.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobilebroadband/e5186/router

It's been fantastic. But I recently moved back into the hills of Melbourne and my speeds/signal strength is 1/3 of what it was. I use the modem to stream on twitch and I am dropping way to many frames for it to be view-able for the audience and is lagging me heavily.

The modem has SMA ports for external or attachable antenna. Here are the specs of the inbuilt antenna.

upload_2018-3-6_14-11-30.png
    Here are the specs for its 4G/LTE Bands.

upload_2018-3-6_14-12-49.png

I am going to try and boost my signal strength, in an attempt to get some stability and increase the speeds. We all know 4G is extremely sensitive. My new place is in the Hills so there are lots of giant gum trees, but surely something is better than the stock internal antenna.

Here are some options I thought about.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/49dBi-4...307619?hash=item2f0a7b2d63:g:iyoAAOSwOTVZpMhu

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-4-9F...169936?hash=item1ed76b9190:g:OUgAAOSwCMtaVIV3

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HUAWEI-...886828?hash=item23994e15ec:g:aqoAAOSwaLdaeRND

https://telcoantennas.com.au/site/telco-iot-2dbi-3g-4g-4gx-hinged-antenna-700-2700mhz

Has anyone got any experience with this stuff? are the more expensive antenna worth it from a telecommunications shop? Or will an ebay special do the job?

Also with specs, I know I need to have antenna that supports the frequencies of the modem but I have questions about the "gain" spec and "Radiation" spec? Is gain the signal multiplier? and Radiation the way it transmits and receives signal? ie. omni all directions?

upload_2018-3-6_14-22-23.png

Also debating whether I just grab some attachable antenna, or go all out and buy and external unit and bolt it to the side of my house?

2. power

power Member

You might be better off trying another provider - I'd recommend Telstra.

These are the joys of Optus, patchy coverage. Don't expect magic out of something as simple as an external antenna.

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I would try telstra, but I need the data. Currently on a 100gb month to month. Telstra data allowance just wont cut it.

I'm not expecting miracles, but the inbuilt atenna's arent exactly beefy.

4. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

I have 2 MiMO antennas that I use with my Optus 5186, the big triangle ones. Currently not wired in because I'm in a rental and they probably won't take kindly to me drilling holes in walls to run the coax leads from them.

When they were hooked up though, one pointed at each of the nearby towers, I suffered less dropouts, and the speed was definitely improved.

5. Copie

Copie Member

You would be surprised at just how much gain can be had with an external antenna I’ve got one on the Ute camper (RFI 2195) and on the truck and it easily improves the signal from 1-2 bars up to 4-5 bars along with picking up LTE bands from further out

6. power

power Member

maybe i would be.

7. koopz

koopz Member

we stopped doing roof-4g antenna installs for customers here in SE Qld/NthE NSW as we found that customers with the upgrade saw little to no performance increase with their Telstra/Optus 4G.

if your local tower has more users than it can handle, a higher grade antenna on your end really isn't going to make a difference.

Run a cable to your home/biz

8. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

I will stop you right there, if you don't know what you are doing then you are flying blind which is fine for home use, only your money being wasted, not others. Its when I see threads like this for people in business of taking money without an understanding, thats when shit gets real.
    All the antennas above are useless or crap. The claimed figures you screen-shot would likely be off the eBay yagi and they are bullshit, that simple.
    Gain is the amount or ability of antenna to focus the RF pattern, not boost or amplify it. Higher gain, more focused. Same as a set of Binos and a high-powered rifle scope.

Might be your findings but this statement suggests maybe a lack of understanding also. Koops, you have been around long enough and seen me rip idiots a new arsehole without blinking but this is not the case here so don't get your knickers twisted.

I still do a lot of radio working fixing issues with shitty mobile carriers who can't fix their own crap. The trick with external antennas is to know which towers are actually the carrier being sought, then choosing the appropriate band and then using correct, directional antenna. The biggest reason for this is not for stronger signal, it is to get the cleanest, primary/direct signal that has the least amount of reflection / multi-path. A clean medium strength signal will out-perform and strong dirty turd every day of the week.

Another big factory is the big rise of illegal phone boosters coming in off eBay. Idiots love these things but fail to realise the ramifications the cause. I enjoy and good hunt followed by a report.

9. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Thats a big thing atm, the consistency is all over the place.

Not sure why we are being passive aggressive here. Anyway.

Copie glad you found some improvement with your setup. Lets hope I can get something going.

What do you do Koopz? (I assume telecommunications from your post haha)

Folks have ADSL2+ but speeds at literally <1mb/s down and <0.5mb/s up. NBN is not even close. If more than 2 people are looking at facebook, good luck doing anything.

The amount of users should not be a problem. We are in a far outer suburb, blocks are all at 1/2 - 1 acre a piece, small population and no large businesses sucking up bandwidth.

Here is an image of the local tower and where my house is. It's pretty close by as you can see. It's interference with trees and hills. Not called the hills for nothing our place is literally on the low side of a gully which is at least 30 Degree's steep so line of sight is blocked by the geography, and the entire area is covered in gumtrees which makes it worse. Even TV coverage has been terrible for as long as I remember, couldnt get channel 10 for most of my life.

4g.JPG

lol wot? I am just a guy looking some advice and a bit of education.

These are the kind of answers I was hoping for. Asking questions to learn, I am pretty good at self education but interactive direct discussion is a big part of learning.

The house has a pretty large antenna pole on the roof that I could mount to and point a directional antenna in the right direction. Probably need 10m of cable though, would that course big issues? I am not familiar with the degradation of signal due to cable length with this stuff. I know for electric guitar cable length can course alot of drop off.

Do have a recommendation for an Antenna? preferably something I can take with me when and if I move?

Right now the connection is completely unstable. I find it confusing some are saying antenna's wont do anything. I understand the need for having the right type and setting it correctly, which is why I started the thread so I could be pointed in the right direction. But antenna's arent exactly snake oil, a larger antenna on the roof pointed at the tower will surely be better than the enclosed piss ant antenna that are in the modem sitting in my office.

Illegal phone boosters? colour me curious... brb googling.

10. power

power Member

I'm not, i've never seen any real benefit from these.

Don't - these things cause all sorts of issues for those nearby and are in breach of federal law.

if there are enough complaints they will find you - i know we had one in a caravan near one of our sites. Unsure of the outcome but was a pita for all invoked.

11. caspian

caspian Member

12. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Wasn't planning too, just curious to what it is.

Interesting. I could imagine the frustration of the people involved.

13. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

No worries. A few basics for radio comms:
    • Not enough signal means that your SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) levels will be too low and unstable and prone to drop-outs. In audio terms, weak drive signal from a phono device and cheap, un-shielded cable. Or better still, me whispering to you in a noise environment.
    • Too much signal, you can and will overdrive the front-end of a receiver. Me screaming in your ear, you will have ringing ears and won't make much sense of what I said.
    • Poor quality modem, same a cheap amplifier, big claims in performance, shitty output in real life.
    • Long cable runs of wrong grade cable, just the same as audio cables. They ALL LEAK. Cables are best thought as a Soaker Hose, full of holes and the longer they are, the more water comes out, signal is the same but noise can go in as well.

Lets do some basics here before we go nuts on hardware. I will need to know what signal levels you have and what band you are on, these figures will be in the turd of a modem you have. Yes, a turd. Look for names like RSCP, RSSI, SNR, dBm or take screen shots for sure. Some modems will use bands while good ones will even tell you the frequency they are on. I need these figures before getting deep.

The modem, yeah, sorry, not a fan. A good one I use a fair bit for businesses are the Draytek LTE series that have a built-in 3G/4G modem and are true multi-WAN. These will do full load balancing or policy based routing and work very well. They have one big weakness though, NO Band 28 support, meaning no 700MHz band. The other way is that most USB 4G modems can be connected to the USB ports on the Draytek's and can be controlled from the router without issues of double-NAT. I should mention here is that a lot of cheap USB style modems have builtin routers and may not bridge properly.
    Other options are the more industrial style hardware modems that also perform but should be used solely as a modem and not expected to be a full-blow firewall/router. My personal opinion, I despise Netgear and Netcomm shit. The Sierra stuff used to be great but now is owned by Netgear and of course, support and development, gone to shit.

That all said, start with your findings before we go to far down the rabbit hole. The rest will come soon.

14. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Great info.

Those Draytek modems look awesome. But they start at many hundreds of dollars more than I am willing to spend unfortunately. Was preparing for a $100 antenna setup. I just cant swing a $600 modem.

I'll have a look at the signal levels from my location. Is there a particular way to measure them? will I find them by logging into my modem via a browser?

15. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Ok I think this is what you asked for.

upload_2018-4-3_20-12-53.png

16. koopz

koopz Member

wow.. I'm on the internet

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  17. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

You are so close to cable. I use to live on Old Belgrave Rd with 100MB Telstra cable. Good times.

Now I am in a similar situation where Telstra's coverage is surprisingly bad but Optus is OK so my phone is Optus with 100GB because ADSL is awful and FTTN will likely never actually work.

Looking at 4G capable hardware for something more permanent so this thread is very useful.

18. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Old Belly rd had cable? LLUUUCCKKKKYYYY.

I was in boronia, and my optus 4G SLAYYEEEDDDDD. Even at peak times I was pulling 60/30mb/s off peak it would get to near 100 down 40 up. And was stable.

Now the connection stability and speed is all over the shop. My Kogan sim pulls decent numbers in my phone (vodafone?) But optus is shit.

Help me pleeeeasseeee lol.

19. koopz

koopz Member

another week.. another slew of FTTP customers who have gone to Optus/Vodaphone 4G with shitty 4G signal out of frustration of dealing with their ISP.

WHEN ARE NBN GOING TO ALLOW QUALIFIED IT PEOPLE TO HELP THEIR CUSTOMERS/WORKPLACES?

20. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Update!

I have now move into a new house. Which is actually located close to where I was previously.

NEW ISSUES!

Ok so I was running some tests.

Huawei E5183

Optus 4G sim (not wireless BB) - 40 down/5up
    Kogan sim (vodafone) - 30down/6up

Samsung Galaxy S6

Optus 4G sim (not wireless BB) - 140down/40up
    Kogan sim (vodafone) - 110down/30up

WTF. To make it WTF even more, last time I was in this area. Literally a few hundred meters away the Huawei performed just as well as my phone. But now it doesnt... pretty annoyed. I have no idea why. Only thing I have done is I did take the modem to sydney and used it there and have been having issues ever since. Tried updating the firmware and resetting to defaults and no improvements...

Anyone lend any advice? or have a 4G modem near boronia they could do we a solid and let me test if my modem is fried?