4G/LTE SMA Antenna F/ Huawei E5186 ADVICE?!

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by SSJ4, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I have a 4G Optus Huawei E5573 modem you are welcome to borrow, which works very well, but I'm 30 mins drive from you.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Thats all good mate thanks for the offer, I am hoping someone has the newer huawei b525s-65a that has the ethernet ports on it. I have alot of stuff I like to run wired for.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

No problem. I thought you just wanted to test reception to compare to yours, to see if yours was fritzed.

4. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I do. But same model or latest one. Spent some time on tech support tonight... went through the usual "plz sir reset your modem" bs. So I hard reset the modem and set to defaults again. They said if the issue continues tomorrow to call back and THEN they can open a support ticket for me.

I am tempted to just front up to a store and see if they will give me a new one on the spot. But the issue is I bought it second hand lol, so dunno if they will let me. Maybe they wont check my plan and see it doesnt include the modem haha.

5. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Update this morning.

Hard resetting, factory reset and putting the device in 4g only has doubled the download and given a 1mbps upload increase.

But hard to know if the difference in speed is just times of day.

upload_2018-6-17_11-5-58.png

Just speed tested my Kogan sim in my phone.

88.4 down / 39.8 up. Did about 5 tests in various parts of the room, speeds are consistent. I was hitting over 100 easily on the kogan sim last night so I assume there is just more traffic. But the upload speed difference is considerable... hoping it improves more. I cant really find any settings related to bandwidth control, but maybe the modem is connecting to a different band of 4G than my phone does?

6. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

With a samsung phone yu can check band by dialing *#0011# and change/force bands with *#2263#

Dunno about the modem

Also if i was streaming i'd want to avoid Optus 2300mhz (band 40) as it is time division duplex and you are fighting more download orientated users for upload bandwidth but it can still end up being better if other bands are congested

Also if you can try locking your modem to specific bands and testing it, for example with Telstra if i lock my phone to Band 7 instead of leaving it on auto where i live my speed increases from ~40mbps to 200+

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  7. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already.

The modem you are using (assuming you still have the same one as the first post) does not support Band 28 (700MHz) or 40 (2300MHz), which Optus use. That might possibly be hurting your performance.

I've been playing round with a D-link DWR-921 recently, they are a fairly impressive basic cat 4 (150/50) 4G modem/router and they support all Optus and Telstra bands.

Should be able to pick one up under $200 on ebay, just make sure its the C3 hardware revision.

8. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Youre thinking of the e5186s-22a the e5186s-61a supports 700 and 2600.

upload_2018-6-18_10-9-39.png

I did look into the dlink, band coverage and none gigabit ethernet put me off.

9. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I was just going off the specs you put in the first post. Looks like the 61a variant you have probably isn't the issue then.

10. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Ahh true my mistake mate.

11. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

UPDATE:

upload_2018-6-22_13-20-1.png
    upload_2018-6-22_13-20-43.png

Apply 1x Antenna boi.

[​IMG]

AFTER:

upload_2018-6-22_13-28-36.png

upload_2018-6-22_13-26-33.png

Surely those antenna didnt just give me a 40mbps increase? maybe it has something todo with resetting the modem. Interesting that my Upload went down. I'll have to experiment with placement.

I really need to know why I am not getting the 40mps Upload out of the same sim but in my phone though...

12. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Interesting, moving the antenna around is actually affecting performance.

upload_2018-6-22_13-39-7.png

Good to know they actually do something and arent a waste of money lol.

13. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

24mins later? 4G is so weird.

upload_2018-6-22_14-4-54.png

14. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

There should be band number, LTE bandwidth and CA mode along with those signal values, they may provide a few clues as to why its jumping around

Also can be best to test at 4am in the morning when the tower is consistently dormant

15. tHor's_Hammer

tHor's_Hammer Member

I was having stability problems with my Huawei E5183 - kept losing connection after I moved 500m up the road. Was told to shut down, take out SIM and re-insert. Seems to have fixed the problem?

16. koopz

koopz Member

All good mate. The Comms industry here in Aus is a shit show.

ACMA needs all the help they can get atm.

in fact... I think the ACMA is in serious need of reform

17. koopz

koopz Member

personally... I'd prefer if those of us in the industry could perform ACMA audits on a contractual basis for ACMA so we could ping these clowns.

My mind boggles every time I walk into a JB Hifi retail store.

18. blued

blued Member

Your modem is cat-6 which means it only has carrier aggregation on the downstream.
    The s6 is cat-9 which means it has both up and downstream.
    Test the s6 and see if that gives better upstream speeds.

A good way of testing whether it’s worthwhile investing in a decent external antenna (think roof mounted directional) is to compare the modem at your home vs. standing below the nearest tower. You may or may not be connecting to that tower from home but at least its an indicator. Your speeds don’t sound bad so you might just be wasting money for minimal gain.

In my view spend the cash on a better modem as that may get you better upload. Test this with your s6. If you just want to spend cash then just go and get a cat-9 ac800s.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  19. wowbigkingfish

wowbigkingfish New Member

On the topic of the B525s-65a, does anyone know how to force it to just look at Band 40? I managed to be able to do it with the previous modem before upgrading to this one. I am with Optus on a speed limited plan, and band 40 get's me 12 Dwn. The other bands only give me 5.