4k media player recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Caffeine, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Copie

Copie Member

Shield.

/Thread

2. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Doesn't support bitstreamed audio from applications other than the Blu-Ray player, and even then it will only output TrueHD + Atmos. It has no support for either decoding or bitstreaming DTS-MA - for that reason there are some discs in my collection (e.g. John Wick 2) that it won't play at all because there are no supported audio formats on the disc.

3. HuggyBear

HuggyBear Member

4. power

power Member

considering the budget on display i don't know why you haven't just chucked in a Shield already for POC.

elvis likes this.
  5. Copie

Copie Member

The 2019 shield is pretty close though, supports every audio format in bitstream, very friendly user UI, silent, does UHD comfortably etc.

Its hard to go past it simply because it works, and it works very very well.

6. frnak

frnak Member

I went with the Apple TV 4K because it supports auto refresh rate switching with streaming apps (Netflix, Prime etc). My TV gives nasty judder without it.

7. power

power Member

old mate has stupid money, buy one of each bin the one he doesn't want.

i don't understand the stuffing around?

frnak, flu!d, elvis and 1 other person like this.
  8. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

This. If he's putting in a $24,000 sound processor, then he has money to burn.
    Buy a Shield Pro, Apple TV 4K and ODROID N2 - pay someone to set up/customise the N2 to do everything they want.
    Use whichever one floats his boat each day.

Re, Kaleidescape - About 2016 they shut down suddenly due to lack of funding but by the end of that year they were back up and running and since then have been operating successfully, having deals with all major studios to supply their movies through it's 'library'. It's expensive, starting at around $5k for the basic 6TB player.
    The interface was beautiful, but that was about 4 years ago when I first saw it demonstrated the Melbourne Hi-Fi Show. I am certain that today you could buy any device for $500 or less and get the same or better experience.

9. OP
    OP
    Caffeine

Caffeine Member

All good info thanks.

He's spending a lot but his Maltese wife will kill him if he wastes money

Looks like the Vero is in the lead at the moment.

10. power

power Member

then he's gonna die because none of what you just said makes sense.

11. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Shield + Kodi = Win. <--Full stop.

12. OP
    OP
    Caffeine

Caffeine Member

She's happy for him to spend the money if there's value in it. Buying a bunch of different players and then binning them isn't good value.

13. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

I might e missing something here , but if the OP wants to use a Trinnov 16 all power to him, Extravagance would be to own a 32 channel model, and only use half of it.
    Info here, https://www.trinnov.com/altitude-16/ There speaker management system is second to none

Some people want the better things in life, and good luck to them. It would be interesting to know what he's pairing the Trinnov with regard to Power Amp's, Speakers etc.

What some people on don't seem to understand is that things cost what they cost. Not everyone's content with a cheap AVR and a miss-match or other components. Sure it might work for a while, but sooner rather then later the owner will want something better.

14. OP
    OP
    Caffeine

Caffeine Member

There's a Krix MX30 being built behind the screen, not sure of the model of the ceiling or wall speakers.

15. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

I think my point has been missed (likely my fault for replying so flippantly).
    OP's friend is "very tech savvy" but has his friend asking here for suggestions of a media player/server...
    OP's friend is obviously happy to pay money for top notch components, so just buy a proprietary system such as Kaleidescape or have something customised to integrate seamlessly with the rest of the system.
    Sure, they could buy a Sheild Pro or ATV 4K, but as you say "sooner rather then later the owner will want something better".

Also, I'm well aware of the Trinnov gear after seeing it demoed last year, along with a fantastic Krix speaker set-up and Barco projector.
    https://www.stereo.net.au/news/krix-world-first-at-2018-melbourne-international-hi-fi-show

16. OP
    OP
    Caffeine

Caffeine Member

He asked my opinion. He didn't ask me to ask on here. I've put my 2c in with him that I don't think the kaliedescape system is worth it and I aksed here because I wanted some advice on something that would do the job in a less constrained way (it won't play media from anywhere but its own sources for example)

17. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Asking on here would be a waste of time considering the value of the kit involved. You would not be wasting your time posting on "What's Best" https://www.whatsbestforum.com.
    The site has separate sections on almost everything audio and every make known , with advise from dealers, manufacturers, designers. Another site worth look is Audio shark,
    http://www.audioshark.org/ The sites english and run by retailers, dealers and experienced high-end users.

Len Wallis Audio retails Trinnov. https://lenwallisaudio.com/products...round-pre-amplifiers-processors/altitude-16_/

18. OP
    OP
    Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Thanks for the info :)

He has the MX30 and 16 other krix speakers going in the ceiling and walls, so the Trinnov definitely looks like the way to go.

19. Bert

Bert Member

I will add my support for the nVidia Shield. No fuss, works great, looks great.

20. BuD

BuD Member

Get the 2017 shield if Atmos isn't an issue else I just ordered the 2019 So i can get Atmos via Plex to soundbar and my amp as stupid Xbox one s won't do it and tv won't earc

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020