1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

4K monitor on Windows 7; how to make it usable?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Esposch, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Esposch

Esposch Member

Hi OCAU.
    Finally caved yesterday and bought myself a fancy new 28" 4K monitor.
    Was really excited for that extra real estate, mainly for coding and CAD work.

Plugged it in, configured the graphics card to output the full resolution, and was completely disappointed. At such a high resolution, it's impossible to see a thing on the monitor without setting display scaling to 150%!

This is fine, but some software doesn't support it very well (it renders in 1440p then uses some sort of interpolated, fuzzy scaling method), some doesn't support it all (renders tiny text), and even the software that it works well in, you're still looking at the same amount of real estate as a 1440p monitor but with sharper text.

Is there some software or settings out there that can make the 4k experience good on Windows 7, will my eyes adjust over time to the tiny icons and text, or would it be best to sell it and get myself a 1440p display?

2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

That's normal behaviour. 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 on 24" is the usual standard pixel density we're used to. Upgrading to 28" and doubling the pixel density will make everything tiny. To have the same font size at 100% on 4k screen as a normal 1080 24" you'll need a 48" screen. Otherwise you'd need to scale things like you're doing.

You are getting more screen real estate in a sense that you'll be able to fit finer things in and everything will be smaller. But if you want things to remain the same size and you want more real estate, then you need bigger screen not higher density.

3. havabeer

havabeer Member

yep time sell that bad boy and get a 40" phillips instead for >$1000

i watched some sony vegas "how to" videos on youtube and they have bugger all room to work with @1080p, i can have about 8 video/audio tracks as well as every preview and file manager open its great and can still see everything perfectly

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Do you mean "<"? : p

On my Philips 40" I've scaled to 150% and have not had an issue with any app.

5. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Have you thought about upgrading the OS?

I was in the same situation, but since moving to 10, I dont have that issue anymore.

If you have a spare ssd why not try it.

6. Aaron_85

Aaron_85 Member

Edit:
    Just re-read and realised your talking win-7.
    defs agree with going to 10, its much less bad at it then 7

most programs scale really terribly with windows 10 scaling
    some work well, some half arse work, some not at all.
    From memory i have left the scaling options all to 100%, but changed the icon size and default text size somehow. And use firefox/browser scaling to 150%

steam is probably the worst for miniscule and unreadable text.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  7. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Not all programs scale properly either, especially older programs. making it very hard read when you need to - also creating/sharing documents with others that looks fine on yours is massive on theirs...

I find 1440p is the best for 27/28"..

8. power

power Member

go the 40" :) I'm on 7, no scaling needed.

9. OP
    OP
    Esposch

Esposch Member

Haven't been keen to upgrade to Windows 10 because of the whole privacy issue: Cortana is always watching, forced updates, Microsoft reserving right to delete things from your computer etc. I just don't trust MS any more.

My eyes have amazingly begun to adjust, but I'm still not sure that it's ideal. Perhaps a 40" or 1440p will be a better option.

10. Xizor

Xizor Member

Sounds odd to me? I have a 28 4K Samsung monitor, RX480, via display port. Using windows 7. Everything looks fine. In windows i have the text/other stuff at 125% and in chrome 100%. Looks great.

11. ysu

ysu Member

...if you're young and your eyes are perfect. I had a 40" and it was rather uncomfortable without 120-130% scaling.

Even the 43" I got is smaller in terms of pixels. As someone said above, you'd need about 48" to get the same results.

But with the 43" I can use win7 without scaling, even with eyes over 45 years used. Occasionally I need to upscale things a bit, still, but this is very easy to do in browser or in a document.
    Also: the 43" got a better screen.

12. power

power Member

I can't comment on people with bad eyes I guess.

meh, not young though.

13. bennyg

bennyg Member

I have 4K on 17.3" so I win :p

Set DPI to whatever you're comfortable with, run the cleartype wizard. Most things will look fine. The odd program looks fuzzy but they're usually the homemade apps and utils that I don't spend long looking at. For the rare program that doesn't scale with DPI at all I use the windows Magnifier in Lens mode

Text resolution in all kinds of documents and in games is excellent and well worth the odd and minor inconveniences. It's a 400nit 100% gamut panel though not sure how that relates to bigger desktop monitors. Even dropping to 2.5K/3K resolution where the GPU performance isn't enough still looks awesome and can't see any blur. I see fuzz when I go back and look at the 1080p 17.3" panel I've used for the last 3 years

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  14. cvidler

cvidler Member

Windows doesn't handle scaling very well - mainly because of all the ancient/poorly written programs it needs to not break.

I run a Fedora desktop, with 2x32" 4k screens and have no problems, everything just works (beautifully), until I try and do something in a windows VM...

15. OP
    OP
    Esposch

Esposch Member

I keep telling myself I'll move over to Linux. Still haven't, at least not for a significant period of time...

For the time being, it looks like my eyes have adjusted to the size, and I found this freeware program called "Winsplit Revolution" that adds all of these hotkeys for moving windows around. Seems pretty good.

16. havabeer

havabeer Member

Some older games don't like the 4K scaling as well, recently installed and played mass effect 3 and had to get a mod to get some of the on screen stuff to scale properly

17. hotpants86

hotpants86 Member

This is why I stick on 27" 1080p/120hz. Easy to see things, easier to run games. I won't make the switch until 4k/120hz 40" is affordable.

18. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

There is a free app for that.. :)
    https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

19. cvidler

cvidler Member

rather not have to fix something that's fundamentally broken.
    (and keep having to fix it, cause you can be sure MS will keep trying to get their/your data)

:thumbdn:

20. OP
    OP
    Esposch

Esposch Member