4K Monitors

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by jpw007, Nov 19, 2019.

?

Do you have a 4K Monitor?

1. Yes! For gaming.

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Yes! For media consumption.

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Yes! For media creation.

16 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. No, but I want one.

18 vote(s)
    26.9%
  5. No. I don't want one.

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  6. Candy

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  7. More candy.

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Agree... have a 2080ti and have to say it doesn't outstrip my last-gen card like a new card used to in the old days, now that crazy high resolutions are a factor. It took away a bit of my excitement of dropping big coin on the latest and greatest to find I get the same sub-60 FPS as my mid-budget card from 3 years ago because I upgraded the monitor at the same time.

Nethiuz likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

That reminds me, finally got my monitor mount sorted on the weekend after 3 months...

34" UltraWide (Acer X34) up top
    32" 4K (LG 32UD99) down bottom

Tried some games on 4K last night and ran well. Certain games will be run up top (i.e. PUBG, COD etc) and others on bottom (Bioshock, Destiny 2, AoE etc). Could run Destiny 2 at 4K with 115% resolution rendering and still around 60FPS stable :thumbup:

Makes doing my work/studies/hobbies a lot easier now having them like this rather than side by side and gaming is fine on the top one since it's angled down. I don't game much anymore so no noticable issues with the neck etc.

[​IMG]

Nethiuz likes this.
  3. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

4k 55" Samsung qled (FALD, quantum dot) as secondary monitor. For games like witcher 3 etc. No point for shooters etc they are best experienced in 1440 high fps.

I do want to swap out TV for the 48" OLED though when it drops!

Nethiuz likes this.
  4. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

OLED still burning in issues though?

I don't care so much for high HZ and FPS as most of my gaming is VR simming.
    But i think for the odd gaming i do on the monitor i would like to upgrade to 4k 120hz when HDMI 2.2 or whatever version is out, will the next GPUs even have it?

5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yeah...I'd really like to see OS-level mitigations against burn-in before using OLED for a PC monitor.

Nethiuz likes this.
  6. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Curious to know; what games do you play on VR? Have wanted an excuse to buy a VR setup for a long while for a simmy-type game I can sink some time into but haven't found one any that have piqued my interest

Nethiuz likes this.
  7. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yes but only if used for long time and pixel shift etc gets rid of most of it. I wouldn't use it as a primary monitor. But as occasional second monitor but mainly used for viewing movies be fine.

Nethiuz likes this.
  8. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

X-Plane 11, Aerofly FS2, DCS, Project Cars 2, IL-2, Elite Dangerous and some arcade action in No Mans Sky too.

X-plane runs like crap in VR with the best hardware, but damn the helicopters are spot on, it is going from OpenGL to Vulkan within weeks though, there is a severe CPU bottleneck so a 790 apparently gets the same FPS as a 2080Ti.. Should be fixed soon.
    Aerofly runs 90FPS ultra on my 1080Ti and is beautiful, limited scenery but pretty as.
    DCS runs pretty well, smooth enough and has some of the best simulation i've ever seen, combat only and limited scenery but very very detailed.
    Elite and NMS are similar, not so simmy, but some fun in the 3D environment.
    Project Cars 2 is fantastic, runs well and looks good, i bought a wheel just for it.
    IL-2 runs well, looks good and has some of the best damage model i've seen, WW2 sim.

If you get VR get Bigscreen app and watch movies sitting in a cinema, it's hell immersive.

It is stated that Microsoft Flight Simulator will have VR on launch (This year) and it looks pretty amazing, keen to see how it goes.

I have to say that DCS has animated pilot and whatever you do with your stick/throttle/pedals is simulated exactly, so much so i started to think it was actually me and when i scratched my leg i was briefly baffled as to why i didn't see my hand do that in VR.
    Very immersive i must say, i have often gone to flick a switch i see and realised no it doesn't work like that.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  9. nope

nope Member

anyone tried the kogan 4k ?

walker_2003 likes this.
  10. Jlirv

Jlirv Member

Hey guys looking at picking up 2 more 4K monitors.

These will be secondary and tertiary monitors, for work, browsing and watching content so I'm looking to balance affordability with features.

I like really like the look of this panel, almost perfect for me needs.
    AOC U2790VQ panel and at $469, only negative is no HDR and I'll be consuming content on at least one.
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/45664/aoc-u2790vq-uhd-ips-27in-monitor

Next this Samsung UR55 a 28 Inch full feature panel @ $499
    Ticks all the boxes, IPS and HDR but I have not heard/read anything about 28 inch IPS panels. Can anyone assist?
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/49281/samsung-ur55-uhd-freesync-hdr10-ips-28in-monitor

Finally AOC U2790PQU $529
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/45663/aoc-u2790pqu-uhd-ips-ergonomic-27in-monitor

Current monitor set up is a X34 and Dell P2715Q which is looking a bit old these days. So I'll be looking to retire it to the monitor on top.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

If HDR is important, you will need to look closely as most wont get that bright, I find HDR more impressive for contrast and color volume etc.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/42770/benq-ew3270u-uhd-freesync-hdr-32in-monitor

Is a nice choice with 95% DCI-P3 but it doesnt get very bright, and being VA doesnt have best viewing angles if that matters. But HDR looks pretty good on it. The 3000:1 helps with HDR.

an IPS with say 87% DCI-P3 and 400 nits peak brightness with its 1000:1 contrast wont do much for HDR at all, but play it.. but wont look that great. IPS with local dimming helps but they are $$$ and dimming zones are big and you get lots of blooming.

VA all the way, there is a reason the only TV's that compete with OLED's are VA.. Samsung has improved their viewing angles with additional layers but their TV's are $$$$$$

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  12. Jlirv

Jlirv Member

Thanks for your advice

13. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

HDR is sweet for sure but windows 10 does a very bad job at it and compatibility with games is low.
    Just get a nice monitor if it's easier?
    Only input I can offer, but try Windows HDR it's seriously worse than normal in desktop. Some games are better of course.
    I have a HDR monitor.

14. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Only reason why I went to 4k was because the decent branded 1440p/1600p monitors were somehow more expensive then the basic 4k 32" panels. I miss my U3011 way too much and every game struggles with 4k (the ones that don't support SLI.. which is now majority). We are a long way away from enjoying the max settings of 60fps on 4k.

15. Jlirv

Jlirv Member

Hey matey, they're not for gaming. I game on my X34 these will be for my side monitors but I do like to watch content on a 16:9 monitor. I'm looking for bang for buck. I might consider 2560x1440 to keep the height uniformity but I'm not interested in 1080p as I really do enjoy 4k :p

Working from home for the foreseeable future so I want to refresh my setup.

Does anyone have any information on this panel?

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Monitors/25plus-inch/81283-LU28R550UQEXXY

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Nethiuz likes this.
  16. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I'm looking for a $400-550 priced monitor. The Sammy UR55 looks ok at $499, for an little extra the LG 27UL600 seems to be getting some ok reviews.

17. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Except we've been there for 18 months since the 2080 Ti came out.

My 1080 Ti played most games at 4k 60fps on high settings. My 2080 Ti plays everything at 4k 60fps on ultra save for woefully poorly optimised console ports that don't care how much grunt you throw at them.

18. T1tan

T1tan Member

I'm looking at cheap 4k so I can fit a decent visual studio window on one screen.

Do games work well with 1080p on 4k monitors, without major distortion? I'm a single digit hour gamer at this time.

19. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I can tell you that games look blurry at 1080p on a 4k monitor, same with 2k res, anything not native will always look odd. However of course the performance improves greatly and i did play one game i couldn't run at 4k at 2k res. You kinda get used to the blurry, it's more movie like.
    Not pixels so much, AA doesn't help much, just blurry image. At native 4k my screen is so clear every time i look at my brothers 1440p 32" it looks crap to me.. So i know i have a good panel.

20. T1tan

T1tan Member

Cheers

In that case I might look into a 1440p monitor instead as "more pixels" than 1080p. At least the card(s) I'm looking at 5600xt/5700xt should be able to handle 1440p consistently.

Nethiuz likes this.