$500-$1000 Amp for $1500 speakers via Auzentech HDMI

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by jermaink, Mar 24, 2009.

1. jermaink

jermaink Member

I'm in the final stages of planning what will be the sound system for my PC/future HTPC and while I've got a good idea what sound card and speakers I'll be using, I'm a bit unsure about which amp/receiver to use. So far I'm planning on using the following:

Sound Card - Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD (http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_hometheater_hd.php)

Speakers - Canton Movie QX 150 (Black) (http://www.canton.de/en-produktdetail-movie-movie150qx.htm)

I've got a loose budget of $1500 on the speakers and amp/receiver and I'll be most likely buying stuff from JB Hi-Fi; I've got a friend there who can get me cost price on items. The reason why I'm going with the Canton's is because I don't have a huge amount of space and something with a relatively small footprint is something I'm leaning towards. Also I'm getting a 45% discount on them (to somewhere near $850) and that's an important factor too.

As for which amp/receiver, I'd be considering all the main brands (Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon) and it'd need to be something that allows for at least 1 HDMI input cable. In terms of price, I'd be considering something from $500-$1200 (as I might be able to get some discounts on some brands).

If anyone has any comments or suggestions on either the amp/receiver or the speakers/sound card, I'd love to hear it.

2. connico

connico Member

Reconsider the Cantons... if you got issues with space there is no need for 5.1..

5.1 in a small room is just going to give you shit sound, most of the time each channel is going to be canceling out each other.

Just get a decent quality 2.1 system. Small hifi bookshelf speakers with a decent active sub around about the 1k mark coupled with a decent 2.1/5.1 Amp will give you and your little room all the surround sound your going to need..

3. OP
    OP
    jermaink

jermaink Member

I'll be using these on my PC for gaming which is why I'm after a 5.1 setup.

4. PapaDom

PapaDom Member

Get headphones instead.

5. Korbah

Korbah Member

Ignore all this headphone and 2.1 stuff. I have a 5.1 setup with some DB dynamic floorstands, 12" sub, a front and some bookshelves for surround. I fully realise that they're not the most amazing speakers money can buy but I'm still at uni after 8years and I can't afford better....that being said they still sound absolutely epic in my room using a x-mystique card going out in dolby remixed/passthru to my amp.

Headphones do NOT give you the "movie" theatre immersion like these do - and yes I do have headphones too. Whilst headphones will inevitably give higher fidelity per $ I still manage to get a very clean sound with my rig and I daresay you'll be able to do even better with your budget (and a few years technological advancement on your side :p)

I'm not up to speed on what is ideal in speakers/amps etc but don't let the naysayers talk you out of 5.1 in a smallish room.

Honestly, this thread has inspired me to fire up Doom3 again to remind me of how utterly terrifying great surround sound can really be.

6. connico

connico Member

Headfones for gaming...

2.1 for movies and music...

You might think 5.1 sounds incredible but your DB dynamics are probably cross channeling like mofo's...Plus they sound terrible!

Quality is better, way better than quantity.

7. OP
    OP
    jermaink

jermaink Member

I really dislike wearing headphones for any significant period of time, and a 2.1 system is inferior in most games (especially when it comes to immersion) and for film watching as well. So I'm pretty much set down the 5.1 + amp/receiver path.

Any comments on the hardware I've chosen so far, or what's a good amp/receiver in this price range ($500-$1200)?

8. koma_white

koma_white Member

Give the Yamaha RX-V863 a look.
    If i recall they're available for ~$1k.

9. NSanity

NSanity Member

seconded.

Yamaha are great for Movies/HT (RX-Z7 owner, in my ears, beats the Marantz 8002, Pioneer LX81 and Integra 7.9 hands down)

I'd consider a Marantz over the Yamaha if music was the majority of the amp's workload.

10. Pianist

Pianist Member

denon are pretty good should check out some of their higher end stuff, maybe onkyo too.

11. underscore

underscore Member

12. OP
    OP
    jermaink

jermaink Member

Okay, so far I'm going to seriously consider the Yamaha RX-V863 and Onkyo TX-SR805 because I know JB stock those brands and I might be able to get a good deal on one. I've been hearing good things about the Marantz SR6003 but I'm not sure if I'd be able to get it at a good price. Anyone know of a model I should be considering?

13. orby

orby Member

Depends on what headphones you've had experience with.
    This thread is in the wrong place, anyhow. Should be in the where/what to buy section.

14. NSanity

NSanity Member

Well, assuming it all carries through on brands etc...

Unless Music was your primary listening medium, I would pick the Yamaha over the Marantz.

Marantz is sensational (I certainly didn't hear a better Music amp than the 8002 at my $4k RRP budget for an Amp) at music/2 channel sources - just absolutely gorgeous. But you lose out in the 5.1/7.1 audio steering and stage (compared to others).

I cannot stress enough that you should try to listen to each Amp with a closed sample set (pick a few good BD's and music tracks) on speakers you think are similar to what you're going to have at home.

Getting Speakers/Amp matches is imperative, it makes a world of difference.

15. akgfan01

akgfan01 Member

Where is Auzen HDMI?

Is it even launched? :confused::confused::confused:

16. NSanity

NSanity Member

Not that I can see. Its supposed to be Q1 2009... they are running out of Q1 though...

17. icewind

icewind Member

yeh, Denon = :thumbup:, but nowadays you want to go at least 38xx series with the japanese capacitors, as opposed to the cheapo chinese made 28xx series and lower.

18. adya

adya Member

hey , i just finished setting up my htpc via azuntech prelude and soround reciever. i do alot of gaming ,and with 5.1 sound through my richter loudspeakers and richter centre etc its amazing. im glad i payed alittle xtra and went for it.
    dont go cheap , its worth getting quality gear , the sound difference is huge.
    just make sure u dont have angry neighbours like me lol theyll be complaining.
    also, my room is small , but it doesnt effect the sound much, soround is still very noticable. if a jets behind me.. i hear it behind me loud and clear etc

maybe get good speakers but cheaper reicever since ur soundcard will do most of dac anyway. i scored a pioneer reciever for a $1k at h.n everywhere else they were $1600. theres always bargains around these days.

good luck:thumbup:

19. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

I recently got the Yamaha 663 from Harvey Norman for under $800. I usually have seen in some places advertise this receiver either around $1100, or approx $1400.

I have never even seen anywhere selling the 863 model for around $1000.

20. FuzzY

FuzzY Member

A mate of mine recently purchased a Pioneer receiver from JB Hifi, got it for under $1000 if I recall.

Pretty sure this is the one he got.

Sounded :thumbup: