$500-$1000 Amp for $1500 speakers via Auzentech HDMI

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by jermaink, Mar 24, 2009.

1. adya

adya Member

same as mine. and they do sound absolutly awsome. mcacc is a trip to get ur head around ,but once u do , and u get the sound right. ull be impressed.
    before buying it i had a listen to an onkyo and an highend yamaha reciever. they didnt sound any better than this pioneer . so i bought it. great price imo
    and THX select cinema with bluray movie is amazing, totally blew me away with the sound quality.

2. Statts

Statts RIP

Get a Denon AVR789 or 1909 (same model, 1909 made in Japan). Look at the specs, then realise nothing in the around $1000 praice range can compete.

3. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Personally, I think many of these high end receivers are not worth the money.

4. Statts

Statts RIP

You may wish to strengthen your utterly ridiculous statement with some sort of explanation....

5. NSanity

NSanity Member

Thats true if you have shit speakers. :p

Spending 40-60% of what you spent on your Speakers (sub included), on an amp is probably about right.

6. adya

adya Member

yeh i agree with that. at first i had some old floor speakers connected to this reciever. the sound was sh...:sick:
    then i spent a bit of cash and bought some nice speakers. and ive been so happy with the sound since. movies, music ,games its enhanced the whole htpc experience imo.
    if u dont have much $ then fine go with logi but if u do , u cant compare quality speakers with anything logi has.

7. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

THe reason why I say that is because of how quickly now technology is changing, supposing you spend so much on an av receiver, then come two or three years, you have new av receivers that support more audio capabilities, imagine spending spending so much on a av receiver again just to support the latest in sound?

Can you imaging spending like $3000+ on a av receiver, and supposedly, just imagine if the receiver was to develop a fault after the warranty ends? At least with a inexpensive unit, if a fault develops after warranty, you can chuck it out, buy a new one, but you cannot exactly do that with a model you spent over $3000 for. And then the cost of labour to repair products is very expensive.

And with the quality of products nowadays, my faith in how long many products last nowadays is just not what it used to be.

Not to mention that many products in Australia in my opinion are so over priced, which is why I don't believe in spending so much for a av receiver.

So I think my reasons for not spending so much on a av receiver are in a sense quite justified.

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

To summarise your reasoning...

a) Technology moves and advances
    b) A rant about a fault that may never happen
    c) back in my day, 30 cent cones were bigger.
    d) Our dollar sucks.

Not one reason had anything to do with Sound or Picture quality given that they are the objectives of such a device. Good one. :rolleyes:

If you don't have the money to spend on one, thats fine - but that doesn't automatically make it a "waste of money" or such.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  9. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Member

I am in a similar category in that I am looking for a receiver around $1000. I have been looking at getting that Pioneer model, good to hear people are happy with it. What speakers are you guys using with it?

So basically you are against spending money on anything that costs a bit more, may break after warranty expires, can get outdated, and costs more in australia than overseas.

10. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

I have a question then, will a av receiver thats costs lets say $3000 compared to $1000, will there be a guarantee that the $3000 one will be 3 times more better in picture and audio quality compared to the $1000 one? Will it be 3 times better in build quality? Will it have components that are 3 times better?

These are questions I asked myself when I was looking to buy a av receiver.

But then at the same time, I often look at a previous year model (it if offers the same or almost the same as the new release line, in which case you can get for a lot cheaper).

Now seriously, I was considering at one stage to get the Denon 2309/2809, or even the Marantz SR5003/SR6003 but they were just too expensive.

I found the Yamaha 663 at under $800 (and this in some places I see still advertised online for up to $1399) and I decided to get that (and there are replacements for this series coming out soon). And this model does what I want, supports all the audio to date, the 2 hdmi inputs are sufficient (can always buy a external HDMI switcher if I need extra down the track). It does what I want, sounds good to me, and for value for money is a great unit.

Now I have not long ago listened to the previous Denon 2808 model, now while I did like it, one place I went to listen to it, they only had a demo model, (I think the price was around $1500) and while I do think it was that better for HT than my Yamaha 663, I did not think it was worth money spending nearly double, considering it was a demo unit for starters (and who knows how much use it has had).

Now some people want to spend so much on a AV Receiver, that is fine. We all are different. Some people think it is worth while spending so much, some don't.

11. Statts

Statts RIP

Mate, if you really think thats sound quality and price are ever going to be directly related through the entire spectrum of price points, you are insane.

Also, did you research your choice of the RXV-663 well? Personally, owning a 1080p panel, I couldn't buy a receiver knowing that it can upconvert, but NOT to 1080p.

AVR-789 for no more than $150 more when you purchased would have been a much better choice. Line them up side by side and the specs kill the 663, and it DOES sound better at all volume level, to boot.

12. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Yes I did. I did know what I was getting. I was not to concerned about the up converting. Because when I get my HDMI TV, the DVD player that will be used for upconverting will be connected straight to the TV itself.

SO I made the best decision I can, Do I want the pre outs in case down the track I want to connect another amplifier. These are all the decisions I made taking everything into account.

13. Statts

Statts RIP

What, all two of them? :lol:

14. NSanity

NSanity Member

Interesting you say this.

Have youd heard the different between a 663 and say... a RX-Z7? or RX-Z11 or even the RX-3900?

My mate just bought a Klipsch THX Ultra 2 system ($7500 on special) - before purchasing, he wanted to see what it sounds like on his existing 663 (as opposed to the Z11 that they'd demo'd it with).

Whilst it still blows away a cheap set of Z5500's, its nothing special with that budget amp - I certainly wouldn't think about buying that speaker/amp package..

First on his list of things to buy is a better Amp. :thumbup:

15. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

No Not all two of them lol.

I was looking for months. But I was also working in a budget. As I simply cannot afford to spend so much. I go in places, sample equipment, make a decision.

I was thinking of the Denon 1909, but it doesn't have any pre outs, so if in the future if ever I did consider of connecting another amplifier, I wouldn't be able to (A mistake I made with the onkyo 595 at the time of purchase).

Anyway, to each his opinion.

We all are different to how we like our sounds. What some like, others don't.

And for music, if I want to, I buy a dedicated 2ch music amplifier for music purposes.

16. OP
    OP
    jermaink

jermaink Member

Okay, here's my short-list:
    Marantz SR6003
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Yamaha RX-V863
    Denon AVR-1909
    Pioneer VSX-1018AH

I'm going to get prices on these before I make any final decision.

17. underscore

underscore Member

Minor point to some people, but have a look at the remotes for each to see what you think.

Personally, I hate the Pioneer remotes. Absolutely cannot stand them. They're bad enough to stop me from buying a Pioneer in that price range.

The Yamahas on the other hand have awesome remotes.

Go pick up an Onkyo 805. Not that weight is the be all and end all for receivers, but just go feel how goddamn heavy those things are!

18. mortal

mortal Member

I've got the 863 - its really good :D

19. OP
    OP
    jermaink

jermaink Member

For anyone that was interested, I've managed to buy a Marantz SR8002 from Hong Kong for 7400 HKD (about 1190 AUD, plus another 10-15% when it gets taxed on arrival). So now I'm waiting for the Auzentech to be released, which hopefully will be within a month or two and I'm set.

What exactly do you mean when you say you lose out on 5.1 audio steering and stage?

20. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

And yet locally, this reciever sells for over double the price of what you paid for. The mark up here for some of the hi fi audio equipment brands is just rediculous.

JUst curious where did you buy from HK? Did you get off EBay?

I was considering doing that myself, but then knowing my luck I would of ended up with a defective unit lol.