$500-$1000 Amp for $1500 speakers via Auzentech HDMI

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by jermaink, Mar 24, 2009.

1. NSanity

NSanity Member

So Stage is perceived positioning, if you close your eyes on something like "The Patriot" where they are looking over a vast field and different areas are being shelled with cannons - you should be able to reference where in your room (on the floor between yourself and the speakers) each shell is landing.

Steering is part of this, its how smoothly things pan around you. There shouldn't be gaps or jumps when you have sound move around.

The Marantz as I said, absolutely amazing for 2ch sources - the best thing I listened to for Music reproduction. Its just not quite as precise and defined as some of the other receivers I listened to for 5.1 sources (everything was calibrated) when I was shopping for one.

I wouldn't say you'll be unhappy with it - it's certainly overkill for the speakers you have, and much better than if you bought a $1500-2000 RRP AVR here in Australia.

2. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Strange that a receiver would be so much better in 2ch than surround. Much better amplification on the mains? Surround processing inducing delays on specific channels? What else could it be?

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

Not really.

Marantz has a loooooooooong history of being really good at stereo reproduction (basically the best "well-known" brand, before you start stepping up into things like Rotel, NAD, some Cambridge stuff and then beyond that into the boutique audio gear) - shit my old man has Stereo Marantz stuff that's 25+ years old.

But yeah, its all in the Surround Processing.

4. OP
    OP
    jermaink

jermaink Member

Nah, I've got parents who were travelling in HK who bought it from a store along with a set of JBL TL 260's.

So is the Marantz clearly inferior at processing 5.1/7.1 sound or is it one of those 'listener subjective' things?

5. NSanity

NSanity Member

I don't think it's subjective.

Look, its not bad. Like I said, the SR8002 beats the shit out of say... a Denon 19xx or a Yamaha 86x when it comes to Surrounds. But stack it against a Denon 38xx, Pioneer LX81 or a Yamaha RX-Z7 - and its quite clear that its not quite as accurate - although may be just has dynamic (able to flex and handle explosions with ease).

Its still a great receiver - and for the price you paid, annihilates every you would get in the country new, and a lot of stuff you could pickup secondhand.

Also

Assuming you have nice fat Towers - Music will just be absolute bliss in 2 channel stereo mode.

6. Beaistheman

Beaistheman Member

thats due to many lower range amps claims for power. They say 100Wrms Per channel, but this is with only a single channel active. With all 5, the power drops to each speaker.

When you go to the higher range in harmon kardon, denon and onkyo, their power ratings are each channel, with all channels active. Thats the difference, and its noticeable.

i would go anything that has been made in japan as it, most likely, uses quality capacitors from japan. Personally, i wouldnt go a yamaha for the same prices as a denon or onkyo or harmon kardon. And the denon that was mentioned a few post back is probably the way to go

7. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Should still sound just as good, but at a lower volume level.

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

Given that decent Yamaha stuff is made in Japan, I'm not sure what you're on about. Denon is no different, anything under the 280x isn't made in Japan.

Also, Onkyo is a CHEAP brand. Integra is the high-end Onkyo stuff.

And for that matter, Integra in the ~3.5-4k range sounds like shit compared to Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha and Denon.