$500 3D Printer at ALDI

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Agg, Feb 12, 2016.

1. kjparker

kjparker Member

The link is for a pack of five, so I should be good there! :)

Was considering another heat block and nozzle though...

2. Azrael

Azrael Member

Get a ton of nozzles they do block up. Also grab one of the 10 packs of .4mm drill bits.
    If you are going to get a new heaterblock then get a split E3D v6 design one, where it clamps onto the heater cartridge.

3. Azrael

Azrael Member

4. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

I picked up a back of new tips from E-3D. Comes in a nice little pack, PLUS, i got free lollies!!!

5. kjparker

kjparker Member

got a link to the ones you bought?

6. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

Aldi Wollongong had one left there today and I caved in.. Now ill have to be reading this whole thread!

Does anyone have any important cliff notes I should take into consideration before I put it together?

7. mike-s

mike-s Member

I've had reasonable success with the blue painters tape once I worked out the technique for zeroing in the bed. I had someone suggest I use the widest tape possible to minimise the number of seams that the print head can snag, as well as wiping the tape down with isopropyl alcohol to remove any residue from the tape. Wiping the tape down does make for a slightly better first couple of layers, but I must say going and copying the settings from here has made the biggest difference to my print quality.

Since I've done this, the biggest problem with my prints is when I've made a bad design and have to go back and revise my design and remove some stupid little errors I have introduced.

Another tip I was given, If your making walls, please remember to make them in multiples of 0.4mm thickness, otherwise youwill get walls deleted, which isn't fun.

8. Azrael

Azrael Member

Well my heated bed seems to have half crapped out. The left hand part of the bed is about 15-20deg cooler than the right. As you can guess this is playing havoc with warping...

9. Slade

Slade Member

Mine seems to have sagged in the middle... So the edges seem nice and level, but paper wiggles around in the centre with a huge gap under the print head. It's so loose it makes Jenna Jameson look tight.

Nothing will stick to the print bed, in fact, I can't even gets lines to print, plastic just oozes out of the print head and goes nowhere.

10. argus

argus Member

My bed has gone the same way, thinking about trying glass.
    Anyone had success with normal window glass or does it need to be tempered?

11. mtma

mtma Member

People have certainly cracked and broken normal glass so it's highly discouraged. Particularly if you combine it with adhesion formulas (naked glass can be a bit of pain to maintain consistent adhesion on), people have in instances taken chips out of the surface whilst removing prints.

12. Azrael

Azrael Member

If you are going to get glass then use Borosilicate glass sheets. Its available in the common i3 bed size for about $20 from a range of AU suppliers.

Dont use window glass as it cant tolerate the temperature changes well and fractures.

13. Slade

Slade Member

I've seen the exact same heatbeds as on the i3 available on ebay for about the same price. $20 AU shipped from Hong Kong and the like. I've been thinking about picking up a few spares.

Using glass means fiddling with the end stop on the Z axis, although on these V2 machines it does look like there is a second set of holes to move the switch up approximately 2mm. Glass with Kapton tape or painters tape should be ok.

Any suggestions on how to mount the glass ? Bullclips seem the easiest option.

14. Azrael

Azrael Member

If you dont want glass then i woudl stick with the Mk3 bed and get a sheet of PEI and stick that down to the heatbed directly.

15. damn duck

damn duck Member

Anyone willing to sell their Aldi printer? I regret not getting one!

16. lionman

lionman Member

I'm using some 4mm window glass left over from repairing a window.

Seems to work well. Its much flatter than the 3mm sheet the printer came with and the extra rigidity helps compensate greatly for the saggy MK2a bed.

17. Azrael

Azrael Member

Well I think mine is going back tonight. Z axis endstop has failed somewhere in the wiring. Just jammed a 230c hot end hard into the bed.

18. kjparker

kjparker Member

Parts donor for a core-xy?

19. Azrael

Azrael Member

No point in keeping defective hardware when they offer refund. May as well buy all the stuff from scratch or get a cheap Prusa i3 kit as a donor.

20. lionman

lionman Member

Or upgrade to an optical end stop switch?

I'm think of doing this as the little mechanical switches on mine (not Cocoon) are not reliable. It seems to activate at slightly different heights.