1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

~50mm Lens Comparison

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by random1283, Dec 21, 2015.

1. random1283

random1283 Member

Over the years I have picked up a few lenses to mount on my m and e mount bodies. I thought I would do a quick comparison and competition for a bit of fun. Now most of the lenses were picked up pretty cheap, one for less than you would pay for a six pack, so they aren't all the greatest, mainly just for a bit of fun. Following is a centre crops taken from raw files of my A7.

The lenses are; Sony Zeiss 55mm FE F1.8, Leica 50mm Summicron Collapsible LTM F2, Jupiter 8 LTM 50mm F2, Industar 61 LTM 53mm F2.8, Industar 50 50mm Rigid LTM F3.5.

Now for even more fun I won't say which lens is which, its up to you guys to pick it!

Mix.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. quickling

quickling Member

My guesses:

1. Industar 61/Jupiter 8
    2. Industar 61/Jupiter 8
    3. Industar 50
    4. Summicron/Zeiss
    5. Summicron/Zeiss

3. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

last one looks like the 55mm FE Zeiss

4. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

I have no idea which is which but just have to say that this is a brilliant comparison. Will be keeping tabs to find out the results! :)

5. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Yeah, no idea which is which. I love the look of 1 & 4 though.

6. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Number 3, you forgot to clean the Vaseline off the lens first.

7. OP
    OP
    random1283

random1283 Member

Hmm well for now ill say that the last one is definitely the zeiss, I ha e taken some outdoor shots and will post then up layer tonight.
    And no I didn't forget to clean #3, I've already rebuilt that once :) and its just a seriously low contrast lens even though it has more resolution then you think.

So funnily enough the optical formulae for all of these lenses is either Zeiss or leica origin, with the Jupiter 8 being a sonnar, the industar 61 a tessar, and the industar 50 being an elmar. Side effects of the Russians winning WWII.

Overall the difference between the lenses is a lot less then the brand names indicate which is really interesting.

8. millsy

millsy Member

Cool comparison, the only one I am confident in was that the last is the zeiss :)

9. OP
    OP
    random1283

random1283 Member

Ok, heres some new pics to consider, now they were all shot wide open for this set, so differences should be more obvious compared to the prior images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  10. synic

synic Member

Great comparison on the outdoor.

Is the last one the Zeiss again? Are they in the same order as the 'control' shots?

Is the light level the same for 4 and 5? To my eyes shot 5 blows the others away.

11. OP
    OP
    random1283

random1283 Member

yeah same order as the control shots, so number 5 is the zeiss. The focus was on the church in the background, that way you have some elements in the foreground to see the sharpness falloff. The zeiss is so sharp that even at 1.8 it appears to have a larger dof then it really does.

I'll say that number 4 is the industar 50 rigid. This lens really suprised me with its performance, and only set me back $25, so if you are after a small sharp m-mount prime its an absolute bargain. Just make sure you head for the rigid version as the collapsible version do not seem to wear well over time.
    http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Industar-50

12. synic

synic Member

So the Industar is the Russian one? I've seen them around on ebay before but been scared off by the price... the low price. Its a bit dark though. Does it improve on stopping down? It's a tad soft wide open ... but for $25 bucks...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  13. OP
    OP
    random1283

random1283 Member

The industars are russian, alongside the jupiter, however, they are all german optical designs fwiw. The russian lenses seem to be able to imitate the german lenses very well, however they do suffer a lot of variance so getting a good one can be difficult.

In terms of the industar 50, It is dark, but don't be fooled by its low contrast, it has tons of detail once you get into nitty gritty.