1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

55*c??

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Digit, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Archy

Archy New Member

If you want to test the full load, use Prime95. Google for it, i think Majorgeeks hosts a copy. Let that run for about 10 mins (as much as an AMD CPU really needs to plateau) and check the temps. If it's under 63ish, you'll be fine. And as someone said, if it's stable, it's good enough for the mean time.

Trust me, I went to a Hyper 212+, and despite it not being the best on the market, the difference in noise is incredible. And for ~$40, there's really no excuse to wait it out.

2. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

i find p95 good for long periods of testing. i use Intel Burn Test or OCCT for short periods. IBT or OCCT could find errors in 20 minutes that p95 could take 6-7 hours to find. though the same applies with p95, you could find a errors in a nights testing that you wouldn't find in 20 mins - hour of ibt/occt

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    Digit

Digit Member

Thanks Archy, after 20 minutes or so of p95 i find my CPU at 63*c and my ears are bleeding, lol farrout that cooler is loud !!

4. Archy

Archy New Member

Yeah, I sort of had to get rid of mine so I could play while family members are asleep. =/

At the end of the day, I don't see why AMD uses such noisy heatsinks for stock. At least for the high-end Phenoms. Providing a good stock heatsink that did not require upgrading to an aftermarket one would make them a good choice for consumers. It's strange. A good heatsink can be bought for what? $35 RETAIL. Being AMD, I'm sure they could get them made for such a tiny price that it would hardly affect the price, especially given they're removing the cost of the old one from the price. And when it's AMD only, they can use the default bracket, so it's just as simple.

It's strange. Intel offers a good heatsink... but only on a >$1000 chip, where I would hope people are replacing it with WC...

5. Garido

Garido Member

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been saying this for years. My only gripe with AMD is the stock heatsink that despite being a heavy lump of metals is complete garbage and is noisy to boot. I'm using mine as a doorstop.

The sad thing is that the Phenom is the higher end of the AMD market yet the heatsink is so crappy.

6. TMM

TMM Member

+1. I bought one for $10 back in the day and it outperformed $50+ coolers at the time.

7. OP
    OP
    Digit

Digit Member

i've just tried lowering the voltage, AOD however doesn't show the new volts ??

in the bios (m/b in sig) i lowered the CPU voltage by 0.1, but in AOD the voltage is still shown as 1.35, but i would've expected it to be 1.25

or do i have to reduce the VID voltage to show in AOD ?? but i thought that was for the northbridge :S

edit; after 13 minutes of p95 cpu temps are holding at 57*c, how long til i know its stable and try another voltage decrease ?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  8. Archy

Archy New Member

From memory, AOD does not see the the bump and assumes stock volts. In other words, if stock is 1.4V and you set to 1.425 in the BIOS, AOD will report it as 1.4V. Henceforth, setting to 1.45 in AOD will actually set the volts to 1.475.

At least that's what I remember being told. Get a second opinion, first.

9. Garido

Garido Member

It's the same with coretemp in my experience. I think CPUz shows the correct volts.

10. electronicaz

electronicaz Member

Get a Cogage Arrow for 75 from PCCG

Edit: you could even run it passively

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  11. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

correct, aod and coretemp show your VID.. ie in your bios you set a VID not a cpu voltage... dont make me go on about this again and again.

as for the stock heatsink, amd have gone backwards. the old 940 opteron cooler uses larger heatpipes and an 80mm fan (this heatsink was on par with the best top down coolers of the time). this is what we shouldve had for the current gen cpus, not the older 939 X2 heatsink. you gotta remember however the stock cooler must be able to fit any case that the cpu will be going into, so they gotta make it as small as possible. amdhave it right, they supply no heatsink for BE cpus whereas intel supply a really good one that wont get used :D