5D and 1DMk2N - it's here!!

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Amfibius, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

2. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

The EOS 5D will be priced at $3299 (US)

Ouch ... too much for me to upgrade to what is essentially a fullframe 20D with a lower framerate. Even though I was hoping for it to be a fullframe sensor, I still feel disappointed for some reason.

To be honest, I would have been more impressed by a weathersealed 1.6x crop body with an inbuilt grip (which will never happen) - pretty much the opposite of what I said a few months ago .. heh.

I wonder why they didn't put a dial on the back of the 430EX? ... I think that's the best thing about the 580EX.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  3. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

if i were to spend on another body, it'll definately be on the 1D MKII N, upgrading to a 5D from a 20D just doesn't seem right, the 5D just seems like a full frame version of the 20D. Sure its 12mp and its FF, but for now that type of stuff doesn't suit me.

Looks like, i'll be using the 20D for another year, until the next set of annoucements, might as well make use of "lens collecting" for the next year or two :)

4. Dinuc

Dinuc Member

And the 70-300 f4-5.6 IS ... :rolleyes:

slightly disappointed with the 1D2N, I was expecting (and hoping) for 11 fps and a pellicle mirror.

Oh well.

Dna

5. fuzzyimages

fuzzyimages Member

hmmm....after reading that....i think if l "upgrade" l'll jsut get a 2nd hand 1d MII for now, and wait until the next lot of canon upgrades come along.

then again l know a few international students at uni selling 20d's at the end of the year, so might pick up one of them and work it together with the 10d.

6. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

/me hands Amfibius a couple of tissues.

I think you need to mop up that drool on your keyboard ;)

7. bubbablair

bubbablair Member

5D has real spot metering, thats something i would love in the 20D

Bubba

8. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

judging from what i read, the 430EX is and upgrade of the 420EX, so does that mean that the 580EX is still superior to the 430EX? Also, wasn't the 550EX the upgrade of the 420EX?

it would be nice, but for that price, i think i'll get by with partial metering for the time being ;) :D

9. Dinuc

Dinuc Member

Yes, 580 > 430. No. there are threee levels, 580 --> 430 --> 220

the number (580) is the guide number x 10. basically range of flash in metres at ISO 100 and full zoom of flash.

Dna

10. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

NO!!!!! I knew this would happen!!!
    I bought a Sigma 500 Super DG a few weeks ago with the hope that Canon wouldn't release a 420EX upgrade....
    Oh well.. the 500 DG still owns it...

Hey.. would newsagencies and stuff be selling their cameras now that these new cameras are out..? Well... now that I think about it.. even if they sold them for.... half the price.... I still wouldn't be able to afford it.

Hey I just realised these cameras don't have onboard flashes. How... cool. Its not like they need it anyway...

11. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

The 5d is a bit of a worry as it's about what I would of expected the 20D replacement to feature spec wise . I guess that means the 20D replacement is either a long way off or will be very dissapointing considering the price of the 5D . Personally I'm not that concerned with full frame and only 3 frames per second . As for the 12MP sensor , it seems a bit gimmicky when their more expensive markIIn is only 8MP
    Spewin because I talked the other half into letting me upgrade my 300d when the 20d gets replaced . When i say 20D replacement I'm talking $2500 camera , god knows what the 5D will retail for here .

12. jastormont

jastormont Member

Guys how many pro Photographers here?

Just I love my Photography and I am no way a pro but I feel there a lot here with just tooo much money.

I have been reading the forums for the last week or 2 with this camera and the amount of people who have a camera for about 12mnths (what they would of paid $2699.00 for) and want to sell this for a possible $3000-$5000 camera staggers me.

I would think that even a pro who makes a living from this would really have to justify spending that.

I am convinced there are so many people who are not really into the photography but more into the gadgets.

That is just my thoughts (not saying anyone in perticular) but I am just amazed at the amount of people changing over cameras (that sufice most peoples here photo needs) with new cameras. :wired:

Anyway the 5D will be a nice camera to some but not much hype from me here. I am more intrested in the 24-105 L series lens. :)

13. BlaYde

BlaYde Member

Righto...which rich bastard here will be the first one to pick up the 1D MKII N and/or 5D?? :D

I reckon Amfibius should get the 1D MKII N....it would be a nice edition to his kit. We could then test those 8.5fps on his Porsche :leet:

14. fuzzyimages

fuzzyimages Member

Not such a silly statement that either.

15. jastormont

jastormont Member

Glad others feel that same as I do.

16. Flp

Flp Member

Does anyone think this will bring 20D prices down?

17. jastormont

jastormont Member

I do not know but they have come down a bit in the last couple of weeks anyway.

18. Mred32

Mred32 Old and Decrepit

The 5D has just about everything I'd like in a camera.
    Full frame, magnesium body, and I have no need for anything faster than 3 frames/sec. I might splash out and get one ... secondhand that it. When its successor comes along :D
    The 24-105 looks nice though ...

In the meantime, the 300D will do me just fine I'm sure.

Mred32

19. locopano

locopano Member

Americans are perfectly moulded consumers and will buy what they are told.

20. locopano

locopano Member

Regarding 20D prices.. i was going to ask this earlier as the $150 cashback from canon was making me think that maybe there is something on the cards. They did this with the 300D a few months before the 350D.

Of course it could be the D50, istDL etc etc bringinng the price down

The 70-200f4L has come down in price lately too. Wonder if there is a new one cooming. Maybe F4L IS? :tired: