1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

5d II announced!!!

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by kini_mini, Sep 17, 2008.

1. tHRiCe

tHRiCe Member

Peripheral light correction as far as I can tell, only works with the Canon lenses the camera has data for, you can enable it, but it does SFA unless the body knows the lens. It also will not correct CA like the Nikon bodies.

You can do manual aperture in video if you shoot with a manual lens, but yeah, still fixed at 30 FPS.

2. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

I'm going to add a little bit further to the AV control in movie mode.

Fudge you Canon, add Aperture control!
    I spent nearly half an hour playing around with newly purchased ND filters valued over 300 collectively, hands in freezing cold (see -10) trying to 'trick' the exposure only to find that the exposure lock only lasts for what, 30 seconds until the movie starts recording...

All this because you guys were too stingy to include it.

In the 'old days' you'd have been lucky if Canon had included anything automatic in it. It'd be basic if anything. This is just chickenshit control.

BTW. Also noticed that f/2 is another one of the standard aperture jumps.

3. De_Cruelz

De_Cruelz Member

Thanks Dan, i'll keep that in mind! Btw, is it possible for other JB stores to transfer stock to fulfill pre-orders first? :tongue:

4. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

5. ehor

ehor Member

It is IF the other store that has stock is willing to let it go, so comes down to the store manager.

6. Fred

Fred Member

Not sure if you guys have seen this video, it's pretty good at explaining all the 5D2 vid tricks.

7. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

I have... Even with those tricks considered. I was in such difficult circumstances yesterday, it made it near impossible.

8. Fred

Fred Member

What software are you using to edit the footage? Have you developed a workflow?

9. tHRiCe

tHRiCe Member

In other words no. I personally got on the ball and made sure our store had 5DII preorders for me and my store to sell.

Other stores (in general) are populated by morons, even Elizabeth st which is one of the most disorganised and shabby JB's I've ever seen. If they don't bother to acquire the stock they have no business selling them. My coworkers would laugh if another store called asking for a 5D/D700/LX3/S100FS which are all premium cameras I go out of my way to order and chase up with suppliers.

EDIT: watched that tutorial, seems like he just went through stuff which is quite clearly outlined in the manual or am I missing something? I don't want to sound elitist but I picked all that up in about 5 mins of playing with movie mode, settings and different control combinations.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  10. quasar_999

quasar_999 Member

The Digital Picture has posted a review

...but it seems to be excessively positive?

11. Smeegles

Smeegles Member

Added the new firmware and it's running sweet, I haven't noticed the problems anyways.

12. monstamunch

monstamunch Member

Best Price for Canon 5D mkII

Hi all,

just looking at buying a 5DmkII and was wondering what people had managed to get them for - oz delivered.

got $3700 from Michaels but I'm pretty sure they can go lower

Cheers

Aidan

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  13. wisie

wisie Member

That seems pretty good? I was shopping around in Hobart and jbhifi was around $3949 and camera house was $3999

Edit: I just came across this price but I can't vouch for the site

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  14. azz

azz Member

Yea that seems like a good price, I wouldn't sneeze at that. Considering Michael's is a real camera store and would most likely swap it if any major problems soon after you bought it.

15. f@rmboy

f@rmboy Terrorist Photographer

Does anyone know of anyone who actually has stock now. F@rmboy is looking to purchase one but he needs delivery before mid Feb as he is off O/S for 4-6 weeks at the beginning of March

16. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

I have no idea if anyone actually has stock thats free to sell. But I would think thats plenty of time to get one though. Just go for one of the big chains. Paxtons was very quick in getting mine, and that was Dec when there would have been the most preorders.

17. Gmk2

Gmk2 Member

Got a call from Teds in Elizabeth st today - they have a 5dii in stock which they were willing to let go for $4100. I enquired back in early December and this was the call back... I have already ordered elsewhere (for much less) - may be an opportunity for someone who has to have one now and is willing to pay for the privaledge. Wonder how long it will last!!

18. CoolYota

CoolYota Member

I put my pre-order in late November at one of the stores over here in Perth and told the salesperson going O/S in early December. I went from #10+ on the list to #1 spot. :D

You can try your luck too :p

19. Aejan

Aejan Member

There was one on display in Myer Melbourne City, 10-15% of SLRs too, was the kit though.

20. Gmk2

Gmk2 Member

5d2 body only in stock x 1 @ JB Hifi Chaddy

There is a single body only available at JB Hifi Chadstone as of 1:30pm this afternoon. Don't expect it to last - JB are discounting very competitively so should be able to grab for a good price (Teds in Chadstone said RRP only, store policy on the 5d2). Good luck!