5D mk2 focus problems

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dark Orange, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I have a new 5D mk2 and it seems to be having focusing issues. I have gone into the microfocus settings and whacked it up all the way to +20 and a superficial test sems to indicate it may still not be right.

All lenses were perfect on my 30D.

What are my options?

2. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

Did you change focus screens? Check that first. Take it out and make sure the copper gasket thing is still there and put it back in.

3. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Nope, standad screen.

4. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

Then I am going to throw it out there since your focus screens been checked.

1. Check you Expand AF points in the Customer menu
    2. Set to Single shot Center focus?

5. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

1. Should they be on or off?
    2. Yup, that's how I roll.

I can focus manually and it looks focused, the focus point flashes but the photo still ends up forward focused. (My 100 f2.0 fully open ended up about 30cm forward focused at a focal distance of about 5m) This is a present bought online but appears to be Australian stock and has an australian warranty which I guess I am going to have to use.

6. smorter

smorter Member

Sounds like a gross calibration issue, definitely get it calibrated

Sometimes it's not the electronic calibration issue but the thickness of the lens mount flange, which Canon can also adjust under warranty

7. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

So what is the deal with warranty repairs? Do I have to mail it off to Canon (as they say on their web page) or are there local agents?

8. brasher

brasher Member

have a look at the pins where the lens meets the body, lot's of reports of those not sitting right on 5dmk2's, hopefully it's something simple like that.

9. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

The pins look fine, they all press in and come back out to the same level.

I just did some tests and with my 100mm F2, it is focusing about 33cm in front of the target. Winding the focus micro-adjustment up to +20 brings it to only 20cm in front of the target.

Strangely, my 70-200 focuses 13cm in front (at 200mm) and is pretty close with +20 micro-adjustment.

I get the same problem when using live-view, but manually focussing in live-view gives me a sharp picture. Looks like I will have to use live-view until I can get this mack to Canon. :(

10. smorter

smorter Member

It could actually be your lenses and not your camera. No way to tell for certain. But odds are it is your camera, or most likely, all your gear, but the camera being out the most.

If you are in Syd or Mel just drop it in to their service centres. Otherwise you will have to contact them for advice on what to do

11. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I tested all my lenses on my 30D a few months ago and they all ended up perfect. (I printed out a document and shot it at a 45 degree angle as per instructions)

The camera was a present, and apparently an ebay purchase from a shop in Melbourne, and their warranty terms require it to be sent back to them. :(

*edit*

Here is the cropped result of the 70-200 f4 set at 200:
    [​IMG]

Here is the cropped result of the 100 f2:
    [​IMG]

Both of these were focused on the little blue bottle of fun.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  12. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Holy crap that's terrible.

Well if those lenses work OK on other bodies then I'd be sending that body back to the ebay seller. Hopefully it all goes smoothly - at least it's an Aussie seller.

13. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I contacted Canon and asked if they could tell me if the camera was Australian stock or not from the serial number. They couldn't, but agreed that it probably wasn't and that's a shame goodbye.

So I contacted the seller, explaining the problem, who then asked for more details and example photographs so I pointed them in the direction of this thread last Friday.

Their reply just came through...

My reply:

"Every photo I take with this camera is badly out of focus"

So, I am assuming I will have to send it back for repair, and I am assuming it will have to be sent to hong kong or somewhere - what sort of timeframe should I be expecting before I have a camera that works?

14. Sycotek

Sycotek Member

What flash are you using ?

I had an issue with a yn flash throwing off center focus if not directly pointed at the target. However if i used the top most af point, the af assist beam aligned properly and i got proper focus. the yn af assist (ttl) sucked - the 580 EX II fixed the issue but i spent nearly 3 days figuring it out that it was the af assist on the flash.

15. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Good suggestion, I use a 580EX for those test photos but I first noticed the problem when using no flash at all.

16. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Well, discussions with the seller are progressing, but they don't read e-mails very well and seem to answer only one question per e-mail.

Eventually I find out that their Australian presence is a single PO box they share with other companies. So I cannot courier the thing, I have to mail it. *shudder*

And we will see what happens to their "2-4 weeks, but definitely under 1 month" turn-around.

17. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Have you sent it yet? I'd seriously consider coughing up a little money and getting Canon Aus to calibrate it. Ultimately sending it back may work out OK, but it could be a very long and annoying process.

18. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I won't be able to send it until at least Tuesday, but yes, just sending it to Canon Aus is an option I am considering. Does anybody know a roundabout dollar figure for a job like that?

19. DaLeroy

DaLeroy Member

Stupid question, but are you selecting your focus point?

20. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Yes, mainly the centre focus point, but the problem occurrs on all of them.

Basically if the focus point flashes, then the image at that point will be out of focus.