5D MKIII at the Drags

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by terryand, Jun 12, 2012.

1. terryand

terryand Member

Here are a few shots from my weekend at the Winter Nats drag meet. As I said in the 5d MkIII thread I couldn't be happier with the results. Everything I threw at it it handled.

A few different types of shots. Shooting straight on coming at me, panning at the start line( and wasn't that a heap of fun especially panning the Top Fuel cars right on the wall which you could never do with a 1d body even with a 16-35), Some of the front on shots are with the 300 plus a borrowed 2X MkIII, very impressed with the combo and a couple at 5000 ISO.

They're all pretty run of the mill standard drag racing photos, unfortunately the day I was going to go out and try to get creative and outside the box it rained and that put an end to my weekend.

All straight out of the camera bar a couple that have been cropped to remove all the flashes lined up on the wall,yep, mine included.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stuartm

stuartm Member

You may think they are standard fair but WOW, feeling the power and noise via those shots.

Like the feel of 10, dark threatnig skys and man-made flames on the track.

I keep coming back to 2, just like the car, seems so small yet look at those rear tyres!

Thanks for posting.

S

3. Zee

Zee Member

Very, very ice. I like 2 and 4, and 10 is just something else.

Z...

4. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

All great but #2 and #10 really stand out to me.

5. switchblade327

switchblade327 Member

Brilliant effort - 8, 9 & 10 FTW

6. matt-chops

matt-chops Member

They all look great. #2 and #9 are the picks for me. #2 is such an aggressive stance, it's a beautifully timed capture. And the eyes in #9, such determination.

I had to laugh at #11... what was his top planking speed? :D

7. mojododo

mojododo Member

hilarious to see them spend 10's or 100's of thousands on the bike/car yet half these guys are 30+ kg's overweight.... :D

#2 and #4 pop out to me, love the capture of the deforming tyre in 2.

8. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Very Nice set. Agree with the above Comments. The look of the eyes in #9 is priceless even though the following shot #10 has the Flames I prefer #9

Looks like the Mk3 is looking after you :D

9. OP
    OP
    terryand

terryand Member

About 220 MPH for a 6.1 sec 1/4 mile pass.

Amazing to watch this guy, just pure crazy. Sometime I think they are just along for the ride not actually riding the bike.

10. clockwork

clockwork Member

Great photos. Can feel the power vibrating my chest.

Have read the following years ago. Looking at your shots of Top Fuelers sent me into the googleverse to find a copy.

The point about hydraulic lock is a bit far-fetched, but the rest is awesome enough.

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.

* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

* Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.

* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G's.

* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

* The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.

* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter-mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 MPH (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03, Doug Kalitta).

Putting this all into perspective:

Lets say the you are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z06.

Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass by it. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. Just as you pass the Top Fuel Dragster the 'tree' goes green for both of you.

The dragster launches & starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums & within 3 seconds the dragster catches & passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it - from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH & not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race!

That's acceleration!

11. OP
    OP
    terryand

terryand Member

And these stat are from the US and before they went from 1/4 mile (1320ft) to 1000ft racing because the breaking area at their (old)tracks aren't long enough (like ours) for the 8000ish horsepower they producing now, to pull up safely.

From memory our best Aussie pass is 4.56? secs.

The way it was described to me about the fuel they used was, line up 8 buckets of water and a Top Fuel Car will use that amount of Nitro before you can kick them all over.

And it is hard to describe what it feels like standing on the wall only 3m away as they leave the line, not to mention the burning throat and watering stinging eyes. Gotta love it.

I think is a great test of a cameras AF system by stand 100m from the start line with a fueler coming at you.

12. wayneo75

wayneo75 Member

and they have been measured up to 3.2 on the richter scale!

Even if you don't like motor sport, go and see just one top fuel drag race for the experience of raw power, total extravagant use of money for little worldy benifit and unbelievable level of boganism. I loved it! even wore my flanno!

13. insular

insular Member

god i want this camera

<insert paypal donate link>

14. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

my thoughts exactly.. after shooting in low (hardly any) light at the roller derby and trying to focus fast moving skaters on my 5D-2, i felt like giving up.

15. |BeFoRe|

|BeFoRe| Member

Awesome photo's of the UC & LJ torana's. :thumbup:

16. Dr1fty

Dr1fty Member

#9 looks like you shopped in "the hoff"... lol

Nice pics though. :)

17. power

power Member

great pics, love fuellers there's nothing like them :thumbup:

18. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Must've been an awesome smell/noise at the side of the track :lol:

19. heath_303

heath_303 Member

there is nothing like the raw power of the drags, when your next to the start line with your fingers in your ears the power shakes your eye sockets so the whole world is shaking, whilst being covered in unburnt fuel...

got to love it.