6.8Ghz laptop with one TeraByte of non-volatile RAM - for real?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Flamin Joe, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2005/09/68ghz_laptop_wi.html

Check out those pics on the link above. The stats for this machine are truely amazing. 6.8GHz CPU, 1 TB RAM (yes Terrabyte) and 2 TB (yes again Terrabyte) of drive space. But is this for real? Can they pull it off? What do you think?

2. HSV GTS

HSV GTS Member

Hmm i dunno about these guys have done a samspade lookup on them and seems to be a bit weird, contact is someones hotmail address. On their website they have the 2006 CES stuff happening and they seem to indicate that the RAM will cost $2500 and the ATA-IDA storage for 2TB will cost $5000. The laptop may be true but its going to hurt a lot for the cost :D

I can see that having greater ram grunt and a fast storage device can really help out laptops but i will have to check if XP Pro even supports 1TB of ram.....actually just looked and 2003 Datacentre only supports 64GB of ram i call Bullshit on this whole thing at least their screenshots. I know that some universities were researching and implementing large storage on memory but it was meant to cost a lot and not really be ready for a number of years.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  3. OP
    OP
    Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Good point. Did a quick search and found at the most Windows XP 64 bit has a 16 GB memory limit. So it does seem like BS.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283247

4. RavenKittie

RavenKittie Member

I saw this the other day on another forum, but when you think about it hopefully in a few years we will be seeing this sort of spec laptop.

The price is the part that worries me however. Whoever did the page has done a good job on the fake screenys.

5. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

6. mordy

mordy Member

6.8GHZ CPU (AtomChip® Quantum® II processor or 4 x Intel® Pentium® M processors 1.7CHz)

can u please tell me what options there are for processors??
    and incase it looks like a benchmark not an actual configuration

Battery Life: Approximately 8 hours for AtomChip® Quantum® II processor and 3 hours for 4 x Intel® Pentium® M processors 1.7CHz

like seriously??

7. NeWMaN

NeWMaN Member

Quite obviously fake :thumbup:

8. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page2.html

My flux capacitor is fucked at the moment so I cant skip forwards in time and see if this is legit.

Lots of fancy numbers and I gotta admit that it does look pretty legit .. BUT ..

There are a few real big misses:

The second screenshot is actually Russian!! at least one of the tabs ??

XP Professional not XP 64?

Windows XP 64 will support the amount of RAM quoted as being in this system. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q294418

This is where the bullshit comes out. 855GME chipset can ONLY go to 400Mhz. GME graphics only up to 250Mhz. Infact 855GME DOES NOT support DDR400.

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/855GME/

Why not Gigabit LAN if the lappies been built to this spec?

All in all a few more links say its legit:
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ces20047.htm

9. chip

chip Member

the author(s) certainly put a lot of effort into the site :)

i'm gunna have some fun convincing people to try and buy one...

edit:their motto:
    "Nanomicrons and Beyond!"
    :thumbup: gold!

10. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

11. chip

chip Member

surely you didn't take it seriously for even a second?

12. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

You do know that Quantum HDD's were taken over my Matrox ages ago.

13. stmok

stmok Member

What do you think? => It seems like a Fake. (Too many discrepencies)

http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page4.html

Have a look at the screenshot for System Properties.
    When was the last time you saw it display speed with a comma?

Have a look at the screenshot of the capacities...
    Windows uses periods, not commas for capacity...TB/GB/etc.
    Isn't there suppose to be commas for the bytes part, not spaces.

Look at the rest of the products from this company.
    http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page3.html

14. OP
    OP
    Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

15. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

LMFAO .. I reckon everyone should click that link and read it .. its bloody hilarious.

Still undecided about this laptop.. I'm about 90% sure its bullshit and 10% possibly.

16. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

This is good!

17. DoCsIs

DoCsIs Member

18. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

This is all governed by the regional settings within Windows. Some European nations use commas where we in Australia use periods, for example. You can test it yourself, change the "digit grouping symbol" within the regional settings to a space, and then check your disk capacity :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  19. jaw174

jaw174 Member

Dans Data ...

i asked Dan on dans data about this a Looong time ago, right after CES 2005.
    the text is quoted below, and the links can be found here.
    http://www.dansdata.com/danletters138.htm

"Not quite up to John Titor standard

Is there such a thing as "non-volatile integrated quantum-optical RAM"? I found a Web site claiming gigantic amounts of storage stored in what looks to be an optical jewel of some sort. Their sites are (Atom Chip and Compu-Technics, and they are supposedly at CES 2005.

Their Web sites are very poorly made, using what looks like pictures taken with a webcam or a very cheap digital camera, yet they boast 128MB/square millimeter on a 20 micron slab, accessible at 0.6ns, which is Really Fast, considering light goes about 30 cm in 1ns through air. Can you please look into the validity of these claims and said technology?

Jaren

Answer:
    Is there such a technology? Uh, no.

The sites in question do, indeed, display numerous imperfections as evidence of their handcrafted nature. I don't know exactly what kind of joke/art project/product of mental illness they are, but they certainly don't rise to the status of an actual scam. This incredible breakthrough technology has, unaccountably, failed to attract any attention at all in the more than two years they've been promoting it, or in the six years since the mad scientist responsible patented what looks like the process allegedly involved.

This thread, which mentions the simply outstanding video clip you can download here, pretty much sums it up. The discussion is not unlike that one might expect if a bunch of automotive engineers found themselves unexpectedly discussing the feasibility of time-travelling DeLoreans.

Far be it from me, of course, to badmouth a technology so great it's won what looks exactly like an Academy Award for "The complete innovation activity". That is, I think, the most hilarious of the various awards the Compu-Technics technologies have received either because they paid for them (there are "award mills", just like "diploma mills", that've served the quack and kook communities for about as long as there've been quacks and kooks; you pays your money, you gets your certificate/medal/trophy), or because they turned up at some obscure trade show or convention and their wild claims were believed.

Remember: You name it, someone'll believe it.
    "

20. Boxman

Boxman Member

To me this is one very elaborate hoax drawn around factual pieces of information. The patent that they refer to is legitimate however (as much as patents can be which has been found to be questionable on some accounts). Quantum processors are really only in the baby steps phase at the moment with researches only barely being able to display the basic concept of the technology.

http://news.google.com.au/news?hl=en&ned=au&ie=UTF-8&q=quantum+computing

An actual system based on real (not simulated, which can currently be done) quantum computation is not something we are likely to see in the next few years.

A few things to note. If this supposed Atomchip corporation was to come up with a working proof of concept system that was finished right now they will have beaten all the major research institutes with quantum projects to the prize. Such research costs LOTS of money as you can imagine! So do you think they would be so stingy as to have a really poorly designed website with very basic illustrations/photos of the supposed components they spent their untold fortunes developing? The thought such a corporation would be stupid enough to show such explicit information in the first place would be ludicrous!

For me this is someone with waaaay too much time on their hands. Pity they didn't put more thought into how to display their elaborate hoax. Remember legitimate websites can be spoofed as we have seen with some internet scams involving credit card information. So to me the ref regarding the upcoming convention could have been fabricated without too much trouble.

Do you agree?

Haha, they seem to actually be properly listed at ces.org :Paranoid: .

http://www.cesweb.org/attendees/directory/rd_exhibitor_details.asp?exhibid=7059

Very strange indeed.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005