1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

6 footer with Hamburg Matten Filter Project

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by afcca, Feb 13, 2013.

1. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

I like 2 heaters in almost every tank, allows for easier heating and redundancy, especially in a large tank such as this.

Major update today. I finished heaps :D

I went to Bunnings yesterday to purchase some tubing to go from the pumps to however I was to return the water back into the tank. Luckily I found I had some leftover materials from one of my small canisters on another tank. I decided to use a spraybar on one side directed slightly upwards to cause some extra surface agitation. The other side I would use a duckbill outlet to cycle water through the middle area of the tank. I purchased the rubber stopper from BMS this morning, as I didn't really know how to block off the spraybar.
    [​IMG]

Here is my general idea. After trying to fit these, I discovered the piping was way too long and had to shorten both.
    [​IMG]
    Spray bar fitted in the tank. I cut a small slit in the foam to push through the tubes.
    [​IMG]
    Duckbill mounted just below halfway up the height of the sponge.
    [​IMG]
    Next, is to cut up some of my remaining sponge, to serve as additional filter media behind the primary sponge. Cutting the foam is quite easy, I've used a large kitchen knife (sharpened as much as possible, makes it much easier) and a spirit level.
    [​IMG]
    The pieces are approximately 2-3cm cube. These cubes are pushed in behind the main corner sponge.
    [​IMG]
    What it looks like behind the foam with the cubes in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With that, the filter is essentially complete. Now it's down to the scaping of the tank. I cleaned the gravel today and placed it into the tank. There might be a little too much gravel at the moment, but will decide on that later.
    [​IMG]
    Next is to remove the two other computer features from the original tank and place them in the new system. :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

Minor update today.

Pulled the keyboard and mouse out from the other tank and installed them. Also put on small 3ft light off an older tank that I had lying around just until I can afford the LED light I intend to put on the system. Starting to look pretty good, next step is to get some plants.

[​IMG]

3. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Having just done a low profile 3D background in my tank, its occurred to me that you could use the 3D foam to hold and hide the filter foam. I'm sure I'll upgrade at some point in future, might have to revisit this idea :thumbup:

Is your tank PS/2 or USB?

4. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

There is a design which incorporates the entirety of the back wall as the filter, and people have sculpted and painted it into rock like structures. It'd take some practice but would look awesome..

The system is PS/2. :p

5. spedwards

spedwards Member

Only just spotted this, interesting read.

Just wondering how difficult (messy) things will get when cleaning the foam filter pads out?

6. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

The only part that will become an issue when that happens is the gravel, but I can just push it back into the tank away from the corner.

The thing is with these filters, is they are designed to go anywhere up to 12 months before they need to be cleaned. Only when the water level behind the foam is different than the tank level do I need to clean it.

Actual cleaning of the sponge is just a matter of bashing it on the wall, or so I'm told.

7. BigDave

BigDave Member

Post a pic please Matt :cool:

8. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

Any updates? :)

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

yer we want updates afcca :wired:

10. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

Not a huge amount to update really. The tank finished cycling quite quickly, and a blown bulb in my original tank meant I had to move the plants early. Currently running on the tank is a 3ft 30w and 1 t8 39w, so not enough light. I'll have the new LED light on Tuesday week, will definitely put up more pictures then.

I moved the fish a few days after the plants, all seem to be quite happy in the new tank. Only one death, but that wasn't from the move, it's from a stupid fish that jumped out of a hole I can't even fit my finger through. Dumb thing had jumped out a few times too but didn't manage to find it in time this time :(

I also have the old AquaOne CF2200 running on it for the time being to help strengthen the bacteria colony, and to keep it working as I don't have the tank set up that I'll be putting it onto.

Anyway, some pictures and a short video:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Cool. Didn't even see the HMFs ... had to stop and look
    Any mulm yet ?
    Fish are happy :)

12. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

Finally. Picked up the LED light today, looks awesome. Really happy with it.

There is a fairly decent blueness under the blue leds but I actually quite like it TBH, and the effect LEDs create with the broken water surface is just awesome.

I'll put another picture on tonight when it's easier to see but for now:
    [​IMG]

:D

13. jayc

jayc Member

Hey, someone threw away their old PC in your tank! :eek:

Looks like the bottom of Parramatta river. Great replication of the Parra river biotope :thumbup:

;)

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  14. Amran

Amran Member

I have a design based on this type of filter for an 8' tank i'm planning. I'll be interested to see how this goes.
    I thought the PC was going to look dumb but it's turned out pretty well, nice job.

15. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

Let me know if you need any info about it. Once you figure out the maths it's pretty easy really, but the math is a bit annoying because the filter's success depends on you getting it right.

16. broox

broox Member

yeah, that pc looks real nice :thumbup:

17. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

Short video of one of my clowns:

I love watching them do this.

18. japes

japes Member

You would like Eartheaters :thumbup: