1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

6 footer with Hamburg Matten Filter Project

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by afcca, Feb 13, 2013.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

any updates to the great hamburger mince filter?

still running? pixs? mulm buildup had to be scraped/trimmed back?

2. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

Yep still running. The water in that tank is always crystal clear even after changes unlike my other 6footer (though that one has sand). Filters are still going strong, no discolouration or anything, and the level behind them is still way up there so I don't need to clean them yet. Only when the water level behind the sponge drops about an inch below the other water line do they need to be taken out and wacked against the wall.

I love the low maintenance of it. I've had to clean out the filters on the other tanks multiple times since installing the HMFs, I wish I could do it on the other tanks. All future tanks will be running these I think, it's just so awesome.

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

thinking of devoting a corner of my tank to a HMF. i can hide the heater in there too. :Pirate:

4. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

Yeah it's definitely good for hiding things. If I used CO2 it would be behind there as well.

5. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

I think my next tank will have this filter. I like the sound of low maintenance.

6. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

Zombie thread!

It's been 3 years running strong and I forgot I completely left these threads behind without finishing the job.

The filters work great really, I never had any issues with it once it cycled, even when I was worried about changing the water in the tank. When doing a water change, as long as the pumps for the filters are turned off and I treat the water before and after adding it, I've never had a mini cycle.

As far as mechanical filtration goes, it keeps the tank really quite clean and the gunk behind the foam builds up slowly over time but every few months I pull out the extra cubes of foam to clean out the bottom.

As Machdad wondered... it is quite annoying to clean, however it doesn't need to be cleaned anywhere near as often as most filters. In my research I found that most people don't fully clean the main foam until the water level starts to drop behind the filter, however.... after waiting and waiting and waiting, it never really happened. I've since cleaned both sides only once in the 3 years they've been operating and never had an issue with the water being clean.

As for actually cleaning it, yes it is kind of messy and it's a big job to remove it from the tank because it actually goes the full height of the tank behind gravel, but the entire cleaning process takes less time and effort than cleaning my canisters. Once removed from the tank, it's a matter of quite literally bashing it against a wall until all of the gunk is removed, and a lot of it comes out. And goes all over me. :p The water does get a bit dirty from it but the filters clean it up in under 12 hours.

I originally set it up with clown loaches, silver sharks, gouramis and a few odds and ends, but lost almost everything in the tank after the town had an insane spike in ammonia in the water when I was out of town and well... yeah. I lost some impressive fish. I then had a large school of synuspillum for about 8 months which were extremely messy, but the filters kept the water lovely and clean. I've since gone back to clowns and peacefulls and the tank is planted again.

Overall I've been really successful with the HMF setup and will definitely go for these in the future (I wish I could change a pre-established tank to one). Canisters certainly do the L/H a lot better, but when it comes to the strength of the biological filtration I've found that the HMF seems to be more stable. I was informed that the HMFs also consume/convert a certain amount of Nitrates after they are fully aged, and my levels reflect that pretty strongly.

Here's a pic of the tank at the moment:
    [​IMG]

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask :)

7. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Where's the darn "like" button :confused:

Looking good mate :thumbup:

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

looking good :thumbup:

9. regencyking

regencyking Member

wow amazing, is that a computer inside the tank? how did u clean it out properly?

10. OP
    OP
    afcca

afcca Member

Keyboard is just gutted, filled with silicone and put back together after cutting it in half. Mouse and monitor have nothing but the shell.