6 month road trip with kids USA

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by GTR27, Mar 19, 2018.

1. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Ive been considering a 6month road trip in the USA with the wife/kids. We did 3 weeks last year driving around and it was bloody fantastic.

Have heard stories of people buying a RV and just driving around for 6 months.

I own all my vehicles and have some money in the bank and thought this may be a great way to have a mid life pause with my kids (7&5) and also give me some relax time, while exploring a country I love.

Anyone done such a thing? I could probably put $40-50K AUD for the budget. Based on my 3 week "flash" holiday, I think either a car for that long and house sitting or an RV should be achievable.

2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

oh god i want to do this but word of warning, friend did this for 3 months (drove from LA to NY) and basically his diet consisted of Red Bull/Monster and truck stop food, and he put on a crap load of weight

3. Hater

Hater Member

Buy an RV that can be converted to RHD...

Then you can ship it home once you're done and sell it for profit, potentially offsetting the trip!

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

Sounds fun, just be sure to take out lots of insurance and check out your health insurance situation. There was "something" (which I can't remember the specifics of) when I went overseas for an extended period to do with Medicare or my private health insurance. The health system in the US is expensive and you'll have to pay for any doctor's visit.

5. underskore

underskore Member

as a ~10 year old i was dragged around australia with my parents and sister for 6 months - we had a pop-up campervan.
    i remember it being tough at times but overall I'm very glad my parents did it, it was great and is great to look back on.

edit: a few years later we also did 3 months around europe on trains/planes - that was also great, having a white christmas as an aussie kid was awesome.

6. OP
    OP
    GTR27

GTR27 Member

Wife and I have looked at 3 months USA/3 months uk/Europe as an alternative also and it appears easier to do with visas.

Apparently rego and insurances for cars are difficult for non residents in usa.

Looking at options in any case - thoughts and suggestions all appreciated. In a planning stage at the moment to see how we could work it.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't know about that, but do you own property here? My mum wanted to go on a (short) holiday when she'd sold our house and they gave her a hard time like she was a Mexican wanting to move there. It was ridiculous, our country is better than theirs, and yet they think everyone wants to be there.

8. wwwww

wwwww Member

Nobody's forcing you to eat that stuff, I did it for a month plus 3 months working there, I instead ate at Outback steakhouse, Taco Bell, Red Lobster plus various independent restaurants.

I too put on a crap load of weight though.

9. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

My family did the same. Track trailer and a 4x4. 3 months round trip folks and my 14 year old brother. It was absolutely incredible and we still tell stories from the trip.

To play devils advocate a little OP. I was 10 when I went on that trip, now that I am 28 I can only remember the high lights and low lights. It helps we tell the stories still and my dad is a photographer/artist and he pretty good at taking lots of photos of important stuff. But I wish I had been a touch older so I could remember the trip a bit more.

At 5 and 7 they are barely starting to read and write. Books were a big part of the trip, we had gameboys but our parents made us read on long drives and if we wanted we had a diary we could fill out. Even just being able to read the information signs at tourist spots, national parks, museums etc. Really helped me learn about the places I visited, also looking back it probably helped keep me and my brother entertained as well.

I dunno, you know your kids so if they are up for it, then go for it. They will have a fantastic time and I know it made our family alot closer.

10. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Sounds awesome, but I would probably murder my kids, wife too maybe. (Backseat driver)

11. underskore

underskore Member

+1 to everything you said, the memories of the euro trip where I was a few years older are much clearer.

Being a very confident/avid reader and keeping a trip diary certainly did help when I was 10/11 years old but the memories aren't as complete as the trip when I was older.

SSJ4 likes this.
  12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Certainly an impressive budget, good luck with the trip.

13. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Sounds like alot of money. But a family of 4 actively travelling for 6 months. It'll go quick if youre not careful.

14. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

USA has cheap fuel, all you can eat fries and coke for the kids.
    I'd have some fat credit cards and backup funds though so im not stressing

15. OP
    OP
    GTR27

GTR27 Member

We've actually applied for greencards last year, so that may actually be a hinderance. Waiting to see the outcome of that first. But wanting to plan it all out this year, then maybe set next year as a goal. Because of the amount of money involved, waiting a year to get it happening is OK. Just want to make it great. Still looking at tonnes of different options / ways to do it.

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

It could do if you don't have a home/ties where they think you'll overstay a tourist visa. Who knows? Just because they gave my mum a hard time doesn't mean they'll give you one, and if you get your green cards, you'll be laughing. That'd be great, because you could take jobs to fund your holiday and offset some of the cost.

17. OP
    OP
    GTR27

GTR27 Member

Yeah. Find out in may, so who knows. Maybe a short term move there!

If I get a greencard, im going to hit up work for a transfer (multinational) as that would ease the difficulty. We have enough money to move and live there self sufficient for a while (especially if I sell cars / motocycles to help fund it) but having a job lined up would be awesome (assuming I could get say 2-3 months off to travel a bit first!)