60 degree C idle CPU

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Multiplexer, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I have a home server running for over 5 years, recently clean up the dust and found the CPU still remains at 60 degree idl. I cannot help but feel the high idle temp shorten the server life space and are I am considering replacing the heatsink with Noctua NH-L12S and possibly a better PSU with FAN intake.

My question, is it worth changing the heatsink?

CPU: Intel i5-2400s
    HeatSink: Zalman
    HDD: 7 WD Green
    Case: Lian Li PC-Q25 Not the best air flow case but I like it compact and no IO
    PSU: Antec Earth 400W, no FAN intake.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  2. havabeer

havabeer Member

Might need to replace the thermal paste on the CPU as well as a de dust, especially after 24/7 running

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

You haven't stated what the ambient temp is - if it is 45C then 60C on CPU is reasonable.

As above refresh the TIM and reassess before wasting money.

terrastrife likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

It is summer so overall hot, but I have Asrock atom c2750 in the same Lian Li PC-Q25 case and a i7-3770 in thermaltake Core V21 and both is running at 45 degree idle.

Both Asrock and i5-2400S uses the same case, but asrock have a BeQueit PSU with Fan intake where else i5-2400S is a closed PSU. Not sure whether the PSU fan play a role

I will find sometime to clean and replace the thermal paste.

Does anyone recall whether Zalman heatsink is good or not? I dont remember why I chose Zalman.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

It depends which Zalman.

That's like saying is Holden any good? Depends on the car.

firey4059 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

Pitty the one I have installed does not have any model number, this make me think it is crap.

7. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

+1 to de-dust and re-paste. That cooler you linked is good quality, nicely low profile and quiet but probably not leaps and bounds over a random Zalman in terms of cooling. I buy Noctua for the aforementioned build quality and lack of noise.

8. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

In addition to the aforementioned cleaning & new CPU paste (recommend Kryonaut 1g tube), also check your fans to see that they are actually working, and also the fan curve.

Maybe even consider changing them for something like the Noctua Industrial PPC's 2000 RPM, or their Noctua Redux models (which have a good value price) and set an aggressive fan curve, although that will depend on how much noise you can handle.

It's a small case, you'd want to be pushing more air through.

9. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

10. havabeer

havabeer Member

What case this is all in is prob more important

11. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

2400s should run pretty cool. Touch the heatsink to see if it's hot. If it's not then it's not making contact with CPU or the thermal paste is completed gone.

Matthew kane likes this.
  12. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Yeah the first link (I deleted the other one) is the one I mean.

I was referring to the front 140mm fan and the rear/top 120mm fan, but yeah, check the CPU cooler fan as well.

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

That case does allow for a 140mm fan (I bought some of those for $9 Zalman FM-F3) but I would seriously just focus on the TIM for now - AS5 is still also extremely good.

If you really going to think about spending $$ on a cooler, fans, etc, etc I would seriously look at swapping that case over!

14. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

That case may not have the best airflow, but it is my favorite as it is minimal, simple and all aluminium.

I have taken the side panel off and PSU out, the Temp only dropped 3 degree. Touched the heatsink pipe and I felt some warmth.

Will need to buy new paste. The annoying thing is I recently threw away some Arctic Silver paste that have been sitting in my cabinet for 5+ years unopen :mad:

15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Whilst your getting some new TIM consider a 140mm fan for the front inlet - don't get suckered in with super exy jobs.

Use metho for cleaning.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    macktheknife likes this.
  16. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

How much is noise an issue?

With 7 drives in the case, If I didn't need to worry about noise I'd just use the Noctua 2000 or 3000 RPM models at a super aggressive fan curve and blast the entire case with air. It'll sound like a lawnmower but that'll push air.

If noise is an issue I'd try the Noctua NF-P14S Redux 140mm, 1500RPM PWM fan.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  17. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

Removed the old paste with isopropyl alcohol

I had consider replacing the case fan, noise is not an issue since I dont sleep in the computer room, but I prefer it to be reasonably quiet since I may have a few computers running in that room.

Given the heat stay around 60 degree when I open the case and remove the PSU, I think the likely issue is the paste and/or heatsink. Will see how it goes once I received the paste.

18. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Never throw out old tubes of TIM - if they have sat there for a few years just hold it against your blender to agitate the contents a bit before using, do a small discharge and discard and potential crud that built up near the noozle and then apply the paste.

I like to wrap my finger tip in several layers of glad wrap and then use that to smooth it out.

19. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

finally got the paste, applied it. Now the CPU temp is 53 degree with case open and PSU removed. That is like 5 degree improvement.

20. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

2400's should not idle at those temps even cramped in a small itx case. Have you considered that maybe the sensor readings are reporting wrong values on that board?