1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

~$600 - ~$800 Digial camera and $300~ film...

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Romen, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Romen

Romen Member

Well... Me and a friend are looking at digital cameras atm... What camera would be good for around the $600-800~ mark for Digital? Would like SD/MMC slot and 10x optical zoom, at least... :) Chargable battery would be great!

Also looking in to film cameras... Thinking of around the $300 mark for one.. what do people here know about these type of cameras?

Crap loads of info available.. its rather difficult to take in soo much info in such a short time. :p

Anyways, we'll go back searching the forums and Google... ;)

2. Ratticus

Ratticus Member

Hmm.

For the Digital, I would reccomend one of the Canon, or Fuji cameras around that mark, suite your needs.

As for film....

Well, I would DEFINATELY look into second hand cameras, by god can some absolute ripper manual cameras be picked up cheap. It really depends where you want to go. Remember, film is an equal medium, a Nikon and a Canon will get you very similar results with the same glass. There is no sensor war/size war etc.

If you are just learning with photography, I would highly reccomend a second hand manual camera, teaches you the basics, and how to understand light etc.

3. Vort

Vort Member

To add to what Ratticus said, if you're looking at getting both a film and Digital, if you decide to move down the path of dSLR, then it would be wise to invest in a film and digital body that use the same mount system, so that you don't have to spend twice as much on lenses.

That said, you're not going to get a dSLR for that money :) (None that I know of, anyway.. maybe the pentax ones.. .don't quote me on that though)

4. Pigz

Pigz Member

5. Ronza

Ronza Member

H'yell Yes :)

$800 is going to get you a very nice fixed lens SLR-like Digital - think Fuji S9500 or Panasonic FZ30; both of them feel very solid and the lenses are great. Obviously though its a touch limiting and if you think you'll spend more money down the line then putting in an extra ~$200 now will get you a Digital SLR Body + Kit Lens.

In your shoes Id be tempted to go Pentax; a *ist DL w/ Sigma 18-55mm ($897, JBs Marion, $997 most other places...get there before the sales) and then pick up something like a K1000 Body (found one hidden in our drawers, absolutely sweeet) from eBay or a second hand Cashies/Antique store. Advtantage going Pentax for something like this is not only is the *ist DL cheap but K-Mount is going to mean a plethora of vintage primes, very cheap that will work with both your bodies, ask Sir_Bazz....he's an absolute Pentax nut...

6. OP
    OP
    Romen

Romen Member

The problem with Fujifilm is that they dont take them really good specilised digital camera batteries, which are rechargable and last for frakin ages. They also like to use that evil xD format... :Paranoid:

7. svendenhowser

svendenhowser Member

I have an S2 IS from canon, i couldn't recommend it highly enough. 12x optical, 5mp, SD card, feels good in your hand. And well, its a canon :)