60mm 360rad too much for CPU only loop? Broadwell-E

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by StreekG, Mar 23, 2018.

1. StreekG

StreekG Member

Hi guys,

Just ditched my NZXT H630 case for a Define R6 recently. Temporarily using an AIO until i figure out my new loop

That case had a CPU loop consisting of
    XSPC 360mm rad at 35mm thick
    XSPC Dual Bay res w/d5 vario pump
    3 x Noctua IPPC 2000rpm fans

My Cpu is a 6 core i7 6850k running 4.3ghz all cores at 1.3v.
    My temps in the NZXT case were around 70 degrees with this loop.

Obviously the Define R6 i have had to ditch the dual bay res and pump combo and all my piping, and now with room for thicker rads, i thought why not just chuck a 60mm rad in the front. I also think about aesthetics of the big rad looking pretty cool.

My options are either a PE360 (38mm) rad or XE 360 (60mmrad)

Pictures below of old case and build in new case.
    [​IMG]

excuse the grubby prints, didn't realise.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. ayles

ayles Member

Certainly overkill but more cooling is more cooling. You didn't join this subforum for logic, you're watercooling a gaming PC haha. I had a 360 on my q9550 and this CPU only for while, worked really well but was a packaging nightmare.

Chuck a gpu block in the loop and you'll be set for life.

3. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Considering the heat generated by Broadwell E which draws like 250W+ under AVX load I think there is really no need to get 6cm 360 rad and your current rad should cool it well with a optimised waterblock, I had my 6950X previously running 4.3GHz @ 1.25V in a custom loop (PE360+XE360) where the CPU idles around 35c and under a non avx full load it is hovering around 60c, switching to EVGA 280 AIO liquid cooler the 6950X runs a little hotter but not much.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  4. kEv_

kEv_ Member

too much rad? is that even a thing?

bennyg, hairy, BigDave and 1 other person like this.
  5. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

60mm rads look cool so go with that, pair it with some low rpm fans

6. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

If it fits, it sits. Go for it. The more the merrier.
    Go one bigger and slap a monsta 80mm rad in. Paired with some uber quiet fans you can't go wrong.

Loudest component in this old girl (bit fenix shinobi hacked to bits) I had years ago was the damn power supply fan deciding to spin up occasionally. :D

Going extra squishy this time and just ordered a 30mm 360 and an 80mm 280 rad for my 450d.
    Should be an interesting challenge!

[​IMG]

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'll see your 450D and raise you with a 350D installed with 60mm 240, a 45mm 280, and a 45mm 120. PC was a Gene VII Z97, 4790K and a couple of GTX970's. Even managed to get a ROG front panel into the mix :D
    I had to install a top hat to cover the fans on the upper 280mm rad, couldn't fit them in the case without fouling the mobo. It was an off the shelf part, can't remember what brand, 25 bucks or so from PCCG at the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    self_slaughter, juzz86 and ayles like this.
  8. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

ahh nice. I went the other way with that Shinobi build above.
    Put the radiator on the outside of the case and mounted the fans internally.

[​IMG]

It'll be interesting to see what I can fit in the 450D once the first batch of radiators arrive.

I was trying to find a 360 rad shroud like yours so I could put a 60mm 360 up top with the fans mounted externally and the 80mm 280 at the front. But the 30mm mounted internally will have to do for now. Pump/res will be the tricky bit as I wont be able to get away with a bay combo style this time around.

See how she pans out, then work out how to fit more in. :D
    This is how she sits at the moment on air. Not going to be much room left once that monsta goes in up front.

[​IMG]

9. BigDave

BigDave Member

NO such animal :thumbup::thumbup::cool::cool::cool:

10. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I bought the 60mm rad and after test fitting, i realised that once i have got the mounting bracket for the tube res, it wasn't going to fit. My graphics card is 330mm long so that's where the main problem lies. Being a GTX 980 TI Lightning, i couldn't fix the problem with a waterblock as they don't exist. So i ended up swapping the 60mm for a 40mm rad.

11. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

So i'm not sure why i thought a 60mm rad would fit, i ended up with a 40mm class PE360 rad from EK. As you can see, it just clears the graphics card with the res installed.

I drew a quick idea of how to run the tube, but really i don't know.

[​IMG]

However i have no idea how i should do the tube runs, i am doing another hardline setup, but as the card is not watercooled, i will have to go around it and i feel that the long runs of pipe around the card won't look so good. Almost tempted to grab a card with a waterblock, i've been offered a 980TI classy with an EK block fitted in exchange, still unsure. Lightnings are pretty rare, but i can't get a waterblock for it.

12. straiton

straiton Member

not keen on a single tube in front of vid card.Dunno.
    I'd go vert directly up side of rez, missing rear edge of card, then horizontal across top of card then vert to cpu.That way you can still maneouver vid card out, without too many hassles.Just my thoughts.

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Agreed. If the GPU is not part of the loop, might as well keep the loop from obstructing it, for easy removal.

Personally I'd go the swap, a 980Ti Classy with block sounds like a pretty fair exchange. Its not like a Classy is a crap card either..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  14. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Thanks guys. Lucky for me, i have found a waterblock for my Lightning card. Thanks to a suggestion from another forum member, i contacted Bitspower direct and they still had stock, so i purchased at the end of last week

[​IMG]

tunksy likes this.