64bit games?

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Mensuri, Oct 16, 2006.

1. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

That game is a bit like Duke Nukem Forever. M.I.A.

2. nexx

nexx Member

haha true. By the time it get released they'll need a 128bit version :Pirate:

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

128Bit????? Now *that* is some time away :cool:

4. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

I couldn't see them doing it for many more years down the track. If at all. It would be getting too complex for software developers and games developers, I think.

Plus, I don't know whether there would be any real benefits of going 128bit.

5. xsive

xsive Member

How do you figure..?

6. houseofzeus

houseofzeus Member

Yeah, and we'll never need more than 640K of ram either (yes I know it's a misquote).

It may seem ridiculous now but I'm sure the same was thought of 32bit back in the day.

7. Ze.

Ze. Member

It's no more complex to code for 128 bit than for 32 bit. The size of the field doesn't matter when it comes to basic operations. We certainly won't need the memory addressing capablity for a long time when it comes to games.

The biggest need i see for 64 bit gaming at the moment and in the future is the larger memory address space. I don't think there is much need for 64 bit integers . I'm pretty sure that most programmers will simply be using them as large bitfields rather than doing arithmetic operations on them.

What people have to understand is that x86-64 hasn't just made some operations 64 bits , its also doubled the number of registers. That offers a fair bit of room for code optimisation that was previously pretty constrained by 8 general purpose registers. I think thats where the performance increase for 64 bit gaming is currently coming from.

8. Imitation

Imitation Member

IIRC it wasn't an increase in performance but larger viewing distances and fair more background detail.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Like everything else it will happen eventually.

Bill Gates would be proud of you my son :leet:

10. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

What's Mr. Gates got to do with anything? Sorry, but am I missing something here? Inform me if I am.

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

"640K of memory should be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates

Disclaimer: Not sure if he actually ever said this or not.

12. redlabel

redlabel Member

why isnt is as simple as getting a 64bit compiler? what special things need to be done in code to make it 64 bit compatible?

13. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

Haha, it wouldn't surprise me. It sounds like a Bill comment.

14. xsive

xsive Member

It could be.. but when writing code some programmers might assume the size of data quantities will be X.. so of course, when they're not, things break. It's similar to the Y2K problem and the only solution is trawling the codebase to make sure everything is okay.

15. Deadly Bulb

Deadly Bulb Member

Apparently, he didn't.

Unless you're doing some low level stuff, you're right -- all you need is a 64 bit compiler.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hence the reason I've said what I've said. Some say it is a myth, some say it is true, he denies it.

17. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

I'm confused, so who said it? Somebody must have!

18. houseofzeus

houseofzeus Member

Who said it isn't the point, it's the mentality behind the quote that is important. 'If something is good enough now, it will be good enough forever'. It *is* a misquote, and I clearly stated that when I posted it.

19. Pacifist

Pacifist Member

No, if you have ever coded a C program you will know all about libraries. The precompiled .lib files you link to your executable.

eg. The DirectX API is compiled into your code by linking in its libraries.

If you want to make a 64bit game you need to replace all the libraries you used with 64bit versions. This means if you used OpenGL you have to find 64bit versions, if you used a 3rd party physics engine you have to get 64bit versions of their libraries, if you use directX you have to get 64bit versions of the libraries (which weren't even released to the mainstream until recently).

There are many more libraries a game developer might have linked such as the game engine itself, a sound API, a network library etc. All of these must have 64bit versions, so you can understand why more games haven't made a port yet.

20. xsive

xsive Member

Why are you stating the obvious? Of course you need 64bit libraries if your program is compiled with a 64bit compiler. That, or some kind of glue code to convert between the two. The point being made was correct enough -- all you theoretically need to convert an application to 64bit is a 64bit compiler.