1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

64GB Ram Needed

Discussion in 'Memory' started by desibeat18, Dec 4, 2018.

1. desibeat18

desibeat18 New Member

Hi guys,
    I am after 64Gb RAM, an update from my current 6GB DDR 3 RAM

Anyway, thinking of buying the following RAM just because of free shipping and its on speical:
    https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820236013

OR, the following one
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Memory/DDR4/64165-CMU64GX4M4C3200C16R

Would you recommend 8x8gb or 16gb x 4 configurations? Would like to keep in mind prices too. This is for a new motherboard (i9700k), which I am deciding currently.

Just in general in terms of buying from newegg
    Also, which one of the above two would you go for? Would you recommend buying from NewEgg at those prices as they seem much better than Australia? Is it reliable to buy from NewEgg as Ive never bought before. What happens with warranty? Is that manufacturer specific?

2. garnet

garnet Member

oops I cant read

3. im late

im late Member

Newegg is reliable however I only buy g.skill memory from them as they allow RMA direct to g.skill Taiwan. Better than having to send all the way to America for RMA.

Might be an idea to check the qvl for your board to see what ram kits are qualified. You don't want to spend several hundred dollars to find out you can't run at full speed, or even worse, no POST due to incompatible ram vendor IC.

desibeat18 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    desibeat18

desibeat18 New Member

Whats QVL?
    I am thinking about an ASUS board (Strix Z390-E Gaming), it seems expensive for what it is but all the ASUS ones Ive had so far have been really reliable.
    How do I check whether the following RAM is compatible with it?
    Also in terms of RAM would you say all companies are similar. I am either going to go with (4x16Gb modules):
    https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232212
    GSkill 3200Mhz 15-15-15-35 1.35V
    OR
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Memory/DDR4/64165-CMU64GX4M4C3200C16R
    Corsair 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36 1.35V

Many thanks

5. im late

im late Member

QVL = Qualified vendors list

This is the QVL for the Strix Z390-E Gaming

The fastest 64GB kit I see on the QVL is this one....aka won't be cheap...but on the QVL list so should run at rated speeds without compatibility issues (you might need to upgrade to the latest bios if the current one on the board does allow for rated speeds).

Most people don't go this route though.

They will try to get the cheapest kit size they want and try to OC them, or at least see if they POST fine on their board.

6. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

I can help you narrow your choices a little bit between the first 2 you listed. If you're going a 9700k I don't know of any mainstream boards that take 8 sticks, 4 is the limit. You'll either need to head to a more workstation/Server setup or stick with the 4x16gb if you desperately need 64gb.

Seeing as you seem so RAM heavy I would suggest looking at a 2011-3 setup or maybe a TR4 setup as they might be a bit more flexible

7. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

I'll be that guy, whats the need for 64gig?

8. OP
    OP
    desibeat18

desibeat18 New Member

Video editing, especially because getting a 32gb kit and then another 32gbs later on doesn't seem plausible (you cannot combine two kits from what i can see, even if they are the same)