6970 preforming less then 5870?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by AussieSausage, Dec 31, 2010.

1. AussieSausage

AussieSausage (Banned or Deleted)

hey guys, i posted this in the 6xxx thread, but i need some help. i dont think this is right

was having a good day until i put this damn thing in my computer

EDIT: this should of went in the troubleshooting section shouldnt it

2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

edit: 4ghz p2 isnt really fast when it coems to high res.

not to mention the 6970 replaces teh 5870 in the same market segment. its nto really an ugrade, just a tweak, like amd hav ebeen doing since the 2900.. everything since then is just a tweak here, a tewak there.

3. OP
    OP
    AussieSausage

it still shouldn't be less then a 5870

CPU is only running at 3.6GHz

and the res5 benchmark was running 1920x1080, not eyefinity, and the only increase i saw was in hawx2 which WAS ran in eyefinity

EDIT: yes i realise its just a refresh, i am getting a 2nd, but i was expecting 5-10fps increase ( like some benchmarks show ), instead im getting 10-30 fps decrease lol

4. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

yeah, amd drivers suck :D

make sure you re enable all the catalyst ai and vew optimisations in ccc (ie the oens taht speed shit back up but reduce image quality, amd went to town on these and their default setting is quite a bit lower quality for speed in the 6000 range compared to teh 5000 range).

its the shit that should be disabled during reviewers benchmarks to level the playing field. how is it fair that amd reduce iq to speed up fps?

5. anthony256

anthony256 Member

I'm guessing CPU limited.

Remember ages ago when I said I was severely limited by my AMD chip? Well, you're seeing this now by upgrading your GPU and not seeing any performance increase.

You really need a Core i5/7 based chip @ ~4ghz to see a difference in high end GPU's, ESPECIALLY at Eyefinity resolutions where you're completely CPU bound.

6. OP
    OP
    AussieSausage

i have heard this ALL the time, but no matter what i buy, i still get it.

if i went and bought a i7, new mobo RAM ect, i would still get this same story.

if that was the case i should not have seen a increase with hawx2 in eyefnity resolutions, res5 was miles below on single monitor resolutions.

and this certainly wasnt the case going from 2x 5770s to a 5870, which then a 5870 was a high end card, and a 6970 is essentially the same apparently

so whats the problem?

7. anthony256

anthony256 Member

Some games are more CPU bound than others... that's the simple explanation.

Some games will be fine on your CPU, some games will see a huge jump in FPS on a high end Core i7.

I went from ~85fps average to over 120fps + in BC2 alone (very CPU dependant game).

8. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

RE5 is CPU limitied. So don't worry about that.

What drivers are you using, and did you reinstall them when you installed the 6970?

9. OP
    OP
    AussieSausage

but what is with the more FPS in hawx2 running resolution settings

and miles less in res5 running just a single monitor

none of this makes any sense at all

10. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Also, do you have any other benchmarks of the 3dmark variant that you've run on you 5870?

11. OP
    OP
    AussieSausage

i downloaded and installed the 10.12a drivers

only benchmarks i ran was the ones i have shown, i didnt have enough time to do unigine, vantage ect before i packed up the 5870 to post it off to its new owner.

i did run a 5870 vantage benchmark when i got it, no idea where that is now though, someone in one of these threads

12. anthony256

anthony256 Member

You're having the same "WTF IS GOING ON" issues as me, this is why I said you're CPU limited. It took me 12 months of hardware swapping to see that AMD hardware is quite limited at EF/high FPS.

High fps requires CPU grunt.... EF requires CPU grunt....

This is what I think your issue is.

13. OP
    OP
    AussieSausage

i understand

but i have had this same thing before, with my 2x 5770s and an old E5300 i had

what i get told? ( buy a 1055t and another 5770 ) and i did, then what did i get told? ( OC the 1055t and buy a 5870 ) and i did, not im getting the same thing with my 1055t

if i was to go to intel, i would need a new mobo, RAM, CPU. which at the moment i cannot buy

EDIT: oh and hawx2 benchmarks i have been running are nearly smack on with the one shane did, which was a i7 i believe

:S

14. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

as i mentioned, drivers suck. youre seeing the difference in matuirty of drivers, its especially apparent with eyefinity which is more complex to program.

itll be faster in 6 months... about how long drivers take to get to 'adequete' speeds.

15. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

Strange...
    Did you up the 20% power?
    I don't have those games so I can't test.
    What are your 3dmark and heaven scores?

16. anthony256

anthony256 Member

I found all AMD processors to be severely CPU limited. I had to just give up my AMD setup and put the board, etc in the cupboard and upgrade to Intel, the first time I fired it up I could instantly tell it was significantly faster.

17. OP
    OP
    AussieSausage

well im gonna get another 6970 at the end of the month, gotta get another PSU first

hope thats the case, im sick and tired of buying this, and buying that

then it turns out all bullshit

18. OP
    OP
    AussieSausage

trying to download heaven but the link doesn't work for me :upset:

keeping getting 404 error, unless theres another place i can download it from

19. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Go into CCC and reset things to default and reboot. As setting may have been left over from the 5870 if you just upgraded the drivers like that.

Also, give the normal 10.12's a try, even with the new CCC as you may like it.

But as mentioned by others some of those games are CPU limited. However Just Cause 2 should see a increase.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  20. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

yeah, my 1055t clearly struggles agasint my old q9550 at 3.6 by a noticible amount in loading wc3 maps (which is a heavy single threaded cpu process).

not kidding. for the same map, the old quad did the load in around 5 seconds, the 1055t currently does it in around 8 seconds and at stock 2.8ghz close to 15 seconds (speed is timed with ghost bot).