7 vs Vista for Media Centre

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Arch-Angel, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Is there any difference in the Media Centre for Vista and 7?

I have Vista now, and just wondering if it's worth the $$$ for upgrade to 7 for my upcoming HTPC build...

(BTW, searched Microsoft site for comparison, but it doesn't seem to say there's any difference)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2010
  2. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

It's prettier, and perhaps slightly more reliable. That said, it took ages for some plugins/guides to be supported (I'm looking at you, IceTV). Works fine now though.

Generally minor changes though. Performance is slightly better (particularly with high-def content) as the Win 7 version has newer, better built-in codecs.

3. [SMAK]Critter

[SMAK]Critter Member

I hated vista MC so much I went back to XPMC but have Win7 now and it is great. The issue I had with vista was the clunky interface was slow. It looks the same as win7, but win7 just performs much better.

4. OP
    OP
    Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Will Vista playback Blu-Ray discs straight from Media Centre? Or do you need to run a third party player?

5. [SMAK]Critter

[SMAK]Critter Member

None of microsofts media centres will run Blu-ray natively. You will need a third party app, but it can be integrated into MC.

6. OP
    OP
    Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Only just learned that myself after setting the htpc box up on the weekend :(

Got PowerDVD with my Samsung drive - what a steaming pile of crap it is...
    Can't get it to play through MC (there is meant to be a plugin floating around the web SOMEWHERE), and I had to do about half a dozen incremental updates before I could play a new release BR movie.

FFFFFUUUUUU....

Have heard about Total Media 3, and might try to get a trial copy tonight.

7. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

I've done some testing on W7 Media Centre and I've chosen it as the front end for my HTPC.

Definately look at getting the "Media Browser" extension - it ads a whole new dimension to it ..

I chose MCE mainly for the seamless PVR functionality. Wins hands down over XBMC

8. Predator

Predator Member

Can I throw Mediaportal in as a suggestion? Just makes WMC look so ordinary.

9. NikonUser

NikonUser Member

+1 ;). I changed from Windows 7 Media Center to Media Portal a few weeks ago and haven't looked back. So much better!

Paul

10. Fatmantan

Fatmantan Member

Stick with Media Center.

Would you trust a Nikon User? :tongue: :Pirate:

11. Predator

Predator Member

I hereby do solemly swear I have not knowingly used a Nikon.

And on a more serious note, actually you should wait till the 16th July before installing Mediaportal. New Version.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  12. The Brad

The Brad Member

7 is much quicker to set up than Vista and far more reliable I have found, primarily because you don't need to load codec packs to make it work. Plus it supports EIT data out of the box so you don't need IceTV at all.

It supports most file types out of the box, MKV being the exception, but I remux everything to MP4 anyway. Key differences to Vista would be default xvid and h264 codec that supports DXVA - that was much harder to do in Vista.

Honestly you can have a 7MC install up and watching TV in under 45 mins from scratch.

13. [SMAK]Critter

[SMAK]Critter Member

I use the retail version of this and it works fine.