1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

72 hour beef spare ribs.

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by username_taken, Jun 1, 2010.

1. username_taken

username_taken Member

72 hour beef spare ribs

I've been cooking Ghetto Sous Vide for quite some time now, using a thermometer and various cooking vessels turned down low. This was fine for cooking stuff for a few hours, but I have been yearning to get a bit more serious with the Sous Vide. I checked out the Sous Vide Supreme but with a $450 price tag decided it was a bit much for a one use kitchen gadget.

I googled on and found some cool hardware in the form of the Auber Instruments Sous Vide Controller and paired it up with a crazy big 36 cup rice cooker. The idea is that the Controller reads the water temp of the rice cooker and turns it on and off to keep the temperature constant at your chosen temperature.

[​IMG]

Of course with the way my luck runs the rice cooker arrived via fedex broken and I was stuck with just the controller. Thankfully I was able to beg a rice cooker off a friend and was ready to cook.

I decided that I was going to go hardcore and really test the limits of the system so chose to cook some grass fed beef spareribs for 72 hours ( google it, there's plenty of info and recipes ). I decided to keep it reasonably simple and simple seasoned the ribs with smoked salt, long peppers, Grains of Paradise ( errr keep it simple ... yeah right ). I then bagged them with the vacuum sealer and popped in the cooker set at 56 C ( 133 F ).

[​IMG]

Fast forward 72 hours and the ribs are ready to come. It's a good thing the food is sealed in a bag, I don't think I could have coped with delicious cooking smells for that long.

[​IMG]

I slipped out the bones and then seared the ribs on high heat to crisp up the outside and brown it nicely.

Before browning the ribs though I made a red wine reduction to sauce it. I also prepared a roast beetroot, mashed potatoes and tomato caviar stack. A carrot and poppyseed salad, and a broad bean and home grown baby potato carpaccio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. reags

reags Member

You're making me hungryyyyyyyyyy and I'm stuck at work!

3. twinhardballers

twinhardballers Member

awesome meal :D

4. scon

scon Member

Looks and sounds amazing but... Taste! How's it taste?! Do you think the sous-vide process adds something to it that you couldn't get through cooking for say... 8 hours in the oven?

5. Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Member

mate that is shit hot!! :cool:

6. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

I definately think sous vide adds something more than just a low oven. The vacuum seal helps any seasoning/marinade penetrate through the meat. It also gives you precise temperature control at the low temperatures so that the meat ends up the exact temperature all the way through.

beef spare ribs needs the super long cooking time to break down all the sinews etc to make it tender yet stay nicely rare.

7. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

Curious how you vacuum sealed the bags? Do you have a vacuum sealer?. I've been using the heavy duty zip lock glad bags.

8. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

drooooooooooooooooooooooooool :thumbup:

9. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

OMG! Looks fantastic! What time should I come over for dinner? :D

10. Devils

Devils (Taking a Break)

Just like a Larousse Gastronomique masterpiece, innovative & stylish.
    Open a restaurant!

11. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

That's what I usually do, but I've currently got a borrowed food saver vacuum machine.

12. jamieyn

jamieyn Member

Man, that looks fantastic!

13. Raaagh

Raaagh Member

Oh my god...*salivation*

14. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

Weird, 72 hours and it's still not cooked properly?

15. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

hahha nice one ;)

nom nom nom, damn work...

16. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Looks fantastic, UT. Out of curiosity - how did you make the tomato caviar? If you used spherification, doesn't the acid in the tomato inhibit the skin from forming?

The Duke it IS cooked. The reason why cooked meat turns brown is because the Haem molecule unfolds at higher temperatures, allowing the Iron in it to oxidize. Sous-vide or low temperature cooking does not denature the Haem molecule, because the temperature never gets high enough to do it. So the food is cooked, but the meat stays red.

17. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Need high res images for more drooling [​IMG]

18. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

haha nothing fancy like that. you cut the top off the tomato and then using the cross-section view you can cut the tomato flesh away from the seeds ( which are held together delicately by the gooey stuff. The 'tomato caviar' is simply the seed section with no flesh.

19. kingjam

kingjam Member

That looks awesome :thumbup:

Something about meat cooked against the bone for long periods - its just special.

Funny though - when I opened the thread, all I could see was the first bit of text about ghetto Sous Vide and the top of the rice cooker, which looked like a cistern. I started scrolling with a sense of dread - Sous Vide a la WC? :D

20. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Please? :weirdo: