8-10 Weeks in USA/Canada - What to do & where to go?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by CrimsonScribe, Dec 14, 2018.

1. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Still a long way off, but starting to seriously consider / plan where to go and what to do so that I can get better deals etc. by booking early.

Looking to travel for 8-10 weeks around May/June/July/August and am not really interested in doing the "usual stuff" (for example, I have no desire to go to Disney Land / World).

My current plan (for lack of a better term) is to pick 8-10 areas and spend a week tripping around them. Current list is relatively short:

Canada (British Columbia & the Rockies only)
    Hawaii
    Washington State / Oregon
    New York City
    "The South" (Texas, Louisiana, etc.)
    Nevada / Arizona (more interested in Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam than Las Vegas)

Would also love to spend a bunch of time at the Smithsonian (Natural History, Air & space, etc.)

Anyone got some ideas for other "off the beaten track" spots to enjoy, no wife or kids in tow - just me.

2. bcann

bcann Member

might not be your thing, but do an alaskan glacier cruise, i'm on one in august 2019

3. CMH

CMH Member

As a KSP enthusiast I need to suggest the Kennedy Space Centre in Florida.

You might not be close to it though, but it's a suggestion :p

4. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

We did Whitehorse up in the Yukon (BC side of Canada). Nothing in my life has left me in such awe of the world.

We flew in to WH from Vancouver and as you are descending into the town you are surrounded by huge snow covered mountains and just wonderous sites as far as the eye can see. Just a massive expanse.The town itself is quite small and has that small country town feel to it. We got in at around -25C where our local cabin owner picked us up in his shorts and t shirt. Wonderful german guy.

We stayed in a cabin up on teh moutainside with in a group of about 3 cabins and 1 main house. They had an outdoor spa which my wife and I used under the midnight sky with the Aurora overhead. We went dogsledding which was a bit of a trek further into the wilderness surrounded on every side by mountains. As we neared the 100+ odd sled dogs, one of them let out a howl to which at least most of the 100 joined in. In that moment, its just absolutely crazy. It still takes my breath away just thinking about it. The dog sledding itself was quite possibly the greatest thing I have ever done as well. Exhilarating feeling as the dogs driving away and you fall down due to the force of turns and bumps, you holding on as you are dragged but managing to stand back up. Ill definitely be doing that again.

We also did snowmobiling (fun), ice fishing (not so fun), a hike, and just generally enjoyed the ambiance of a tiny town in a setting we have never known having grown up in the land of flat hot Australia.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Don't forget the Canada thread. Might be some tips in there.

6. ~kraven

~kraven Member

Won't comment on the Canada part of the trip but would highly recommend:

Coast of California
    Start in San Fran. Lots to do around there. I recommend some tourist things like Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, Zoo, Tram ride.
    Then move across to Yosemite national park.
    Move down to Fresno then Bakersfield, then onto Los Angeles.
    In LA there are some amazing museums and such plus a little tourist stuff (recommend Santa Monica and Venice Beach for the cultural experience)
    Then go from LA to Palm Springs. See Joshua Tree hill. An amazing cable car to the top of San Jacinto Peak (weird going from 35c on the ground to 0c at the top)
    From Palm Springs to Vegas through Mojave desert.
    Vegas if you're keen on it, but otherwise onwards to Hoover Dam, Lake Mead then Grand Canyon.
    Back to Vegas, then get a flight to San Antonio.

Texas
    San Antonio, lots to do, Alamo, history etc.
    San Antonio to Houston. Space Centre in Houston, museums again.
    Houston to New Orleans - SOooo much to do here. River Cruise, Voodoo history, and more.

Florida
    Get a flight/train from New Orleans to Orlando. Heaps to do, either theme parks or events. Highlights being:
    Universal Studies
    Kennedy Space Centre
    Busch Gardens (best park on earth)
    Swim with Manatees
    Everglades tour
    Gators
    Day trip to Miami

New York
    Fly from Florida to New York.
    I won't list all to do but obvious ones being Museum of Natural History, The Met, 9/11 Memorial, Statue Liberty, New York Public Libary, Central Park et all. SOoo much

Washington DC
    Again a lot of history and things to do. Whitehouse, DC Monument, Arlington Cemetary, National Air and Space Museum, National Gallery of Art, Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

Niagra Falls
    No more needed to be said

From there, makes sense to go onto Canada.

7. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

+1 to Alaska

I road tripped it back in 2004 and it's was one of my greatest memories. Drove from Vancouver and covered a lot of Alaska including Hyder, Anchorage, Seward, Whittier, Homer, Fairbanks Denali, right up the Dalton hwy to deadhorse/prudhoe Bay. Glaciers, Gold rush towns, fishing ports, kayaking near whales, wolves, bears, moose, bison, cariboo, northern lights, etc.

Zee likes this.
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Zee likes this.
  9. Zee

Zee Member

Vancouver is an amazing place - it's worth getting on the road to Whistler, as on the ascent you'll see some amazing vista of the city, the bay, the mountains, and many spots with some cool little shack with a river and a small lake. Just so many amazing photo ops.

For Vegas, it may be worth considering a trip to Zion National Park in Utah (spend a couple of nights at least). Stunning place. It's 4 parks in one, 4 completely different eco-systems purely due to the way the mountains, desert and weather interact.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oceanicgrape/albums/72157651838965871 - that's my flickr for Zion.

Also, check our Red rock and Valley of Fire near Vegas. You'll also be driving part Nellis Air Force Base on the way to Valley of Fire - so may be worth pulling over somewhere and have a look the fighter jets that constantly play int he area. I've seen F-22's, F-16's and F-15's fairly regularly. I've got Valley of Fire pics somewhere, but nfi where I've stored them right now.

NYC is NYC. Just walk around with a camera, your phone, or just your hands in your pockets - whatever - it's awesome whichever way you do it.

If you happen to end up in San Diego, cross the border to TIjuana for a day. The food is amazing- seriously, you'll understand why Mexican food is so good once you have it there, and why it sucks so bad just about anywhere away from the American continent. Also, you've not had a Margarita until you've had it in Tijuana, with the chilli on the rim. Fucking amazing.

If you do end up in San Diego - do the USS Midway. Though, I seem to remember there being a carrier tour in NYC (or nearby), too.

Z...

10. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

If you're over Washington and Oregon way Mt St Helens was a pretty awesome visit! Seattle isn't a bad city, underground tour was alright. The Tillamook air museum was an awesome accidental find. Nice cheese in Tillamook too.

Dunno if it's an option for you but consider Cuba. Such an awesome time capsule.

11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Try and catch a College football and ice hockey game.. college football stadiums make the MCG look like your local VFL ground they play VFL on

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Have they killed off those massive bruhaa's these days? Or they still happen?

13. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Utah Colorado Arizona New Mexico, those four states area is amazing for trekking. Can easily spend a few weeks visiting national parks and native american sites there.