$800 for soundcard and speakers

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by tripOne, Jun 12, 2004.

1. tripOne

tripOne Member

Im allowing about $800 to get a nice soundcard and some speakers, ive been looking at the M-Audio and E-MU s/cards but im not sure what i should get, so please give me your reccomendation.

My requirements:

-i have a few short films that im about to start editing, one film will need a fair bit of voice recording from a mic, but other than that i dont really need a multi line-in card.

-my main concern is the speakers, i would like to get some fairly accurate speakers, im thinking maybe some bookshelfs and a sub, but im not sure. I'd be willing to spend a bit more if i could get a 5.1 setup, but at the moment i dont think surround sound is that important.

-i will also be doing some electronic music creation, mainly using reason

my budget is a little flexible if you think its worth it, also if i need an amp etc, or do you think id be better off getting some good headphones?

thanks for your time

2. OP
    OP
    tripOne

tripOne Member

im also interested what you guys think of M-Audios studio speakers?

3. Kush

Kush Member

To my ears the E-MU definatly has better sound quality than the M-Audio cards. However I'm not too sure how 5.1 works with the E-MU so if thats more important to you you might want to get the M-Audio Revolution. Personally I think you would be best off getting the E-MU and decent headphones with amp rather than speakers. The E-MU isn't cheap so this may limit things a bit (it cost me ~$430 from the US if my memory serves me right). Have a look at Snufkin's shop at http://www.headphones.com.au/product.html , the Beyer DT440 would probably be a good choice or maybe the Senn HD-555 if your too limited by budget. Amp-wise do a search on some DIY options.

4. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

if you want accurate speakers on a budget get some behringer TRUTHS, self powered (bi-amped) and under $600 if u know where to look.

5. vatofale

vatofale Member

my idea of the best setup is to use the spdif out from your mobo or soundcard and plug it into a decent dac, whether in an a/v receiver or a discrete dac. ive got an m-audo 24/96 and an onkyo usb digital sound processor, but i dont think you can really compare computer audio to real hifi.

btw, hi-end soundcards are generally pretty poor with games, which is why i ended up with the two. if your planning on production though, you need one of the studio cards.

if your into 5.1, you can pick up a rotel digital processor second hand for about $200. the dacs in that are pretty good. ead do some really good stuff too, but a bit pricy now. a second had music fidelity dac for about $600 would do you really well for hifi, if you cant afford much more :) dont know if youre at all interested in all that though.

for speakers, i bought a set of acoustic energy aego 2 from
    here for $350 reduced from $1000, and theyre suprisingly good. they were supposed to be used for computer speakers, but theyve ended up serving as my room speakers. they might still have the special on - go in and listen for yourself, they compare well with decent floorstanding speakers at $1-2k.