1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

8700k 5ghz 1.4v vcore on delidded 24/7 ok?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stalyoni, Jul 8, 2018.

1. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

So i finally got my 8700k delidded by headin2001 and im finding that its most stable in games on 1.4v.
    Is 1.4v ok for 24/7 use just for gaming? If i run 1.3 or 1.35 or 1.38 i get little stutters in game but 1.4v runs silky smooth in games.

2. staffy007

staffy007 Member

Most will say 1.4v is fine but all depends on your temps.If temps are around 70-75c at max all should be good any higher and I would see if I could get 4.9 stable at 1.35ish

3. OP
    OP
    stalyoni

stalyoni Member

Ive settled on 4.7ghz at 1.2v vcore and running a prime95 26.6 stress test the temps go up to 80c max. So ill leave it here for now as games where still buttery smooth

self_slaughter likes this.
  4. AG-TAS

AG-TAS Member

At what frequency mate?

5. OP
    OP
    stalyoni

stalyoni Member

That was at 5ghz

6. BlindFreddie

BlindFreddie Member

IMHO, 1.4V is too high for 24/7, though I don't know how tough Intel 14nm silicon is.
    For more than 10 years, I've run a number of systems at 100% load, overclocked, 24/7, and I have some degraded CPUs plus 2 dead 3770Ks.

I think most CPUs degrade over time, and the rate of degradation depends on Vcore and temps.
    There may be a threshold at or below which the rate of degradation becomes negligible.
    So run with the Vcore that gives you an acceptable rate of degradation.

I ran 2 of my 3 Q9650s (45nm) at around 1.3V at the start, and they both degraded. A third that I bought brand-new I never took over 1.26V, and it too degraded. When a chip crashes, you choose between upping the V and/or reducing the speed. I usually dropped the V a little and then found a stable speed to match. With all 3 Q9650s, degradation seemed to stop at 1.216V.
    I also had an i7-970 (LGA 1366, 6-cores, 32nm, Gulftown) that would not go above about 3.8GHz. I started running about 1.25V on it, but occasionally it too would crash so I would drop the multi & Vcore. It stabilised at - guess what - 1.216V.
    The 3770Ks? One I was running at 4.0GHz and low volts but with the Intel junk HSF, and didn't get around to fitting a decent cooler. It ran too hot at times and died suddenly. The other I bought 2nd-hand, put it aside in an antistatic bag for a year or so, and it was dead when I finally got it out.

So after you've been running your 8700K 24/7 at 100% load for about 5 years, tell me what you think they can take.

PS: I've just commissioned the ex-Evilhomer 8700K, and I'll be seeing what speed about 1.25V can buy from it.

7. staffy007

staffy007 Member

In my experience temp = life span the cooler the longer the cpu lives .had a 3770k@5ghz 1.45 v for 18mths >65c max daily that thing is still going strong To me degredation is more about temps and my q9650 still no probs at 4.2 1.38v

8. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

1.4V is pretty damn high, Been out of the game a while, but I wouldn't of ran a 2500k that high long term, let alone a much more modern 8700k. (note, a few old sandy bridge systems i setup years ago are still kicking along happily at the same clocks... 4.5-4.8Ghz just under 1.30V from memory.. such good chips)

But as said above, temps are king.

If you are getting 80+C at 1.2V, I most definitely wouldn't be running 1.4V long term.

My current cpu is a stinker OC wise, but rock solid at 4.7Ghz / 1.264V.
    Loaded temps around low-mid 60s. (delidded + water).

Should be a good safe clock for years to come.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    stalyoni

stalyoni Member

I've settled for 4.7ghz at 1.2v vcore and 40 uncore ratio and hitting about 75c in games so I'm happy with that. I think my Coolermaster masterbox lite rgb is letting me down with cooling. Don't really have money to spend on another case though so this will have to do for now

self_slaughter likes this.
  10. BlindFreddie

BlindFreddie Member

1.2V/4.7GHz sounds very sensible. At the top end of a CPU's performance, you can drop V quite a long way and have to drop speed only a little.

Maybe the gfx card is making it hot inside the case. Is it too noisy if you run with the side of the case off?
    Can you cut holes in the case and run a couple of extra fans? Upgrade the case fans that are there?
    ------
    staffy007: My Q9650s and 970 were always well-cooled, except in very hot weather, when of course nothing could help except some form of refrigeration.
    @self-slaughter: I share your opinion re robustness of Sandy Bridge chips - am still running a 2600K. 65nm Conroe and Kentsfield may have even been better still.

[OT]I've got my 8700K in a Gigabyte Z370M-D3H mb, still at mostly default settings. The UEFI BIOS is f#####g awful, a zillion unexplained parameters mostly set on "auto", with current actual values not shown. It says the CPU multi is 37x but the thing's running at 4.3G. Can anyone point me to info on getting some sense out of this rubbish? I've had gigabyte boards over many years and the way I feel about this one, it will be my last.[/OT]

11. staffy007

staffy007 Member

more than likely board is running a 125 strap