8800 Ultra - discussion, new pics and benchmarks.....

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Darko, May 1, 2007.

1. Darko

Darko Member

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. Hooti3

Hooti3 Member

ha ha ha...looking at some of those graphs..they are clearly trying to exaggerate the performance increase over the GTX...

and LMAO @ those SLI figures...

500 points gained by running two of them in SLI...LMAO...nice work Nvidia :p

3. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

That cooler alone looks like it could do some serious damage. That would probably be how they are getting a slightly reduced temperature from the GTX.

Though I do admit those graphs are very decieving, most people will look at them and think how much of a difference there is between the GTX and the Ultra.

Though from what I read they used a 1280x1024 resolution as their max. Thats stupid to use for such high end cards.

4. RandomWally

RandomWally Member

Lol really dodgy looking benchmarks and my math teacher in grade 6 would have shot me if I'd tried to submit graphs like that. Heatsink/fan combo looked pretty good though :). There wasn't any difference between the GTX and the Ultra except the clockspeeds was there? I'd heard that the Ultra was just going to be a GTX with higher clocks.

5. OP
    OP
    Darko

Darko Member

I agree, if you're going to be benching cards like this then 1920x1200 and over should at least be included.

6. Hooti3

Hooti3 Member

i bet there wasn't much difference between the cards at that resolution..so they had to show where the performance gap was evident...as to make it sound faster and better...

an Nvidia paid Benchmark/Review there...

7. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

It would have shown more difference at a higher resolution, as the cards would have been stressed more, while at this lower resolution they are basically bottlenecked.

8. Hooti3

Hooti3 Member

possibly..but the processor they were running wasn't all that flash and would have been a severe bottleneck for the GPU's at higher res...

i don't know why they didn't get a E6600 or X6800...especially for such a major benchmark....

very interesting to see that the SLI scores are so poor...possibly a driver issue...

9. jakiman

jakiman Member

Gotta love those graphs.

Makes it look like it's double the speed of the 8800GTX. :D

10. astroboy777

astroboy777 Member

WoW what a card, looks like theyve gone all out on the best electronics they could get, even the memory is insane @ .8ns :eek:
    But one thing that will slow its initial adoption is the price at $1400au, hell you can almost get 2 8800gtx's for the price, but it still the best single card for now

11. bioxeed

bioxeed Member

Other way around. If you want to see the CPU limits you drop the res so the gfx card is not a limit. To the really see what the GPU can do you want to crank the res. If both cards are benched in the same system then cpu isn't really an issue as everything else is equal so the card is the only varying factor. It makes for a fair comparison though maybe not an indicator of maximum performance.

12. Hooti3

Hooti3 Member

fair enough..i though what i wrote was wrong :p

13. toe2toe

toe2toe Member

I know, they have to be the worst graphs eve! :p

Not much difference between the two cards at those resolutions especially seeing as they're running the ultra overclocked as well.

14. nVIDIAxp

nVIDIAxp Member

8800Ultra adopted different silicon tech;)

graph is utter crap lol

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  15. Hugo a gogo

Hugo a gogo Member

The 3DMark06 scores seem really low to me for both set ups but SLI sucks the big one

My 8800GTS 320 @ 600 core and 1800 mem on a E6420 @ 3.2 gets a score of 10147

Be interested to see the OC results on decent drivers, they would want to be pretty damn good to justify the price performance ratio.

16. HWMB

HWMB Member

Let R600 to death! The most powerful in the world 8800ULTRA first test!

I am now rushing out to burn my old ATI gear at the stake and enshrine my old Nvidia stuff, my 3DFX gear is revered as the original prophet and the first 3D graphics prophet and messiah. Death to all R600, we own all your bases....

Gawd the headlines these days......

17. hvalac

hvalac Member

scores were low because there seemed to b a little cpu limitation as the e6400 was only running at stock which is 2ghz? by the looks of things it was limiting the single gpu aswell

18. Omarko

Omarko Member

I am confused ... what the heck are they trying to achieve ? releasing a card that has slower clock than some current OC GTX cards ???? for $500 more

I don't understand ... why would anyone buy one ? for the fancy cooler?

19. Live2die

Live2die Member

So that a couple thousand retards go out and buy them of course!

Tend to agree though.. Back when 6800gt / 6800Ultras were first coming out it made sence that they could get more for a higher clocked card. I don't understand why they would now bring out a card that is clocked slightly higher an then charge a hell of a lot more for it.

What are the chances that current GTX prices will drop? I don't see how they could possibly drop GTX prices lower as they would then be hovering just above GTS prices...

20. taztassio

taztassio Member

they have included faster 0.8ns mem, increased the shader clock (as well as core and mem) and used better electrical components, meaning a chance for a higher OC