1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

8th Generation CPUs with AMD Radeon Graphics with HBM2 using EMIB

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by TheWatcher, Nov 7, 2017.

1. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

tunksy and Trevstar like this.
  2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Well, sort of.. Contrary to original rumors , instesd of licencing Vega IP to implement in an Intel Chip, They're buying complete Vega chips to put on an EMIB package.

Ultimatly each Conpany has a peice of the jigsaw that the other does not. Intel has a cost effective high perf interconnect tech (EMIB) to make HBM2 economical to implement. (amd would need both a traditional organic package for McM plus silicon interposer to implement the same with a ryzen based cpu). AMD has a GPU worth more than a knob of goat shit (intel graphics is the goatshit in this case), with HBM phy.

3. OP
    OP
    TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

So this will in theory be good for a tiny (Inwin Chopin case) mini itx build without a discrete GPU?

4. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Only if somone made an itx board with it onboard. Or it comes to a future socket

5. OP
    OP
    TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

I thought it would use the 8th gen mobos that are already out (the ones supporting coffeelake). You think it will need special mobo?

6. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

These aren't desktop processors, dude. It's laptop specific.

7. OP
    OP
    TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

Oh. Boo :( I wanted a gpuless MITX build.

8. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

They call it Raven Ridge and AMD will launch it in a few months.

9. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

What if I told you that AMD has been licensing Intel tech since the very first of day of their exiestance?

Current Intel onboard GPU is more than capable of driving 4K screens with media content and even light / casual games. What more do you want? If your looking for a CPU with onboard GPU that can do Witcher 3 in 4K @ 60 FPS, these are not the CPUs your looking for.

10. OP
    OP
    TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

Onboard to max diablo 3, hots, sc2 at 1080p 60fps is what I am after.

Which in theory is not too demanding.

11. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Pretty sure youd be wrong? :p

Thats a pretty extreme contrast.. To put it lightly

12. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Hyperbole aside, whether it be nVidia or AMD, or even Intel. They will never make a intergrated GPU powerful enough to to rival their lower mid-range / entry level gaming dedicated graphics.

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I was under the impression, by no means certain here, that AMD's use of X86 is licensed by Intel, but Intels use of X64 is licensed by AMD, so X64 is cross licensed (as X64 is based on X86 in the first place). Therefore they both license technologies from each other? That would make the statement "AMD has been licensing Intel tech since the very first of day of their existence?" not terribly far from the mark. They've been doing so since at least the first Athlon.

14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Yes they cross licence.. many many things in fact. As for the first day of existence, well that was 1968 and 1969. x86 Licence since the late 70s when they were 2nd sourcing for the PC. (but were a 2nd source for other, non x86 chips before then.

Licencing has little to do with this product though anyway.. they're not licencing IP , They're buying a semi-custom chip. It's a significant difference.

15. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Goes a lot further back than that, x86 is a foundation for most modern desktop and laptop CPUs and AMD started life as a maker of clone Intel 8086 CPUs along with the likes of Cyrix (remember those?). Most of the extended x86 instruction sets added since the days of MMX like AVX, SSE and so forth were all developed by Intel and AMD has had to license those as well.

x86-64 was developed by AMD because at the time Intel was pushing its own alternative 64bit instruction set with IA64 but that whole saga is a story for a different thread.

16. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

I was excited at first but then realised it's just for mobile parts. What would really be great is if Intel remove their igp from desktop parts and include AMD GPUs.

17. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

From the news page:

Intel have launched their eighth-generation Core processors, and the interesting thing about these is that they contain built-in Radeon RX graphics.. that's right, graphics from their arch-rival AMD. To quote Tech Report: Intel's vision for its G-series CPUs, then, is to give OEMs a way to build a thin-and-light notebook that's closer in performance to bulkier systems with discrete graphics cards that typify the homes of current H-series CPUs. To do that, Intel G-series CPU packages join a high-performance, eighth-generation H-series CPU die with a semi-custom AMD Radeon graphics processor built for Intel called Radeon RX Vega M. Vega M is remarkable not only because it's integrated on-package with an Intel CPU, but also because it's the first midrange graphics implementation of the Vega architecture that we've seen so far.

More coverage on PC Perspective, Tweaktown and HotHardware. Discussion in this thread.

Also from Intel this week, a new more-powerful NUC mini-PC, powered by the new CPU. Today, Intel launched the latest and most powerful Intel® NUC to date, based on the newly announced 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 processor with Radeon™ RX Vega M graphics. The new Intel NUC (formerly code-named Hades Canyon) brings this powerful new processor and graphics solution into an incredibly tiny 1.20-liter system. Great for VR enthusiasts and workload-heavy content creators, it will be Intel’s smallest premium VR-capable system in the market. Coverage on LegitReviews.

18. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

this market is for the really expensive NUC's .. the one that no one really buys.

might be good for thin tiny powerful laptops, thats the only place i could see people buying these.