1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

$99 Parrallella:Dual core ARM CortexA9 with 16x1Ghz Epiphany Cores@32GFLOPS !FUNDED!

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by BluBoy, Oct 1, 2012.

1. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

I have been watching the Epiphany chip for a bit and just noticed it popped up on Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone

This thing looks pretty impressive. I think the 45Ghz may be in a very specific application, but the power to watt ratio is pretty solid!

This is their 4th generation of Epiphany chip, and the reviews of the 3rd gen chips have all been fantastic. You can see a few (biased?) reviews on their website here.

My only real concern is how hard it will be to port existing software over to this thing to fully utilise the multi-cores.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. spludgey

spludgey Member

The $99 one is for a 16 core, 3rd gen chip by the look of it.

It would be awesome to have something like this implemented in future technology. But for me personally as an end user, it's virtually useless.

3. maev

maev Member

Looks like a good cause and idea.
    Seems more like a rasp.pi sort of deal though, which is maybe their intent, though i can't imagine many backing this as that's a smaller niche than the general computer user or gamer.

Also comes down a lot to their documentation. They say they are releasing it, but it could be piss poor for all you know and a minefield to move through.

That's quite a large claim. I expected some tricky words to the likes of "1/10 scale model", but really what CPU is this 45ghz equivilent to? Equivilent to a 45Ghz ARM-9 processor (the one they are using)?

How does that compare to a 4.5GHz i5/i7 ?

Anyway, looks really interesting and at the minimum would be quite fun to play around with, and great for people that need computer services at the cheap.

It's resource practicality is yet to be proven to me though. The video they have ran math/sci/eng, which i can only assume is no better than saying 3dmark scores directly correlate to ingame performance.

on the flip side, this could show to be really powerful for folders etc. Actually, if this could fold better than a gpu, you could run so many of these for penuts. (I haven't folded ever though, so im speaking out of my ass here).

4. Liighthead

Liighthead New Member

intresting... but yeah all depends on performance.

5. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Unfortunately the performance will depend entirely on support, which will depend entirely on the user base, which will depend entirely on the performance.

If Google had said "Android is going to be built around Epiphany cores" and proceeded to persuade thousands of developers to write apps that utilised the hardware, it would be great. Since that hasn't happened, I strongly suspect that very nearly all of these boards will end up using the ARM chip, with the Epiphany cores idle.

OP: just a quick note, it's a dual-core ARM Cortex-A9, not ARM9. ARM9 is the old architecture (before the ARM Cortex-A8 and ARM11).

6. RnR

RnR Member

7. stmok

stmok Member

They've surpassed their financial goal on Kickstarter. ;)

I did a little reading...

3rd gen Epiphany => 16 RISC cores, 65nm process, 1Ghz, 32GFLOPS (Peak).
    4th gen Epiphany => 64 RISC cores, 28nm process, 800Mhz, 100GFLOPS (Peak).

...4th gen Epiphany is manufactured by GlobalFoundries on their 28nm-SLP (super low-power) process. It was taped out in August and begun sampling in Sept.

8. RnR

RnR Member

Yeah I kicked in. Sounds like a nice effort. Their 4th gen Epiphany boards will be based on engineering samplers as far as I know, so won't have the same level of 'quality' as their gen III product. This is the reason as to why their gen IV product is so much more expensive compared to gen III.

9. OP
    OP
    BluBoy

BluBoy Member

I was in from day 1 and with 3 days remaining thought this had no chance!
    Was stoked to see the rush at the end!

Updated topic as well... Cheers!

10. RnR

RnR Member

Update from the dudes...

11. Velicoma

Velicoma Member

My i7 930@4.2GHz hits about 60GFLOPS according to IBT. I'm a little skeptical that these will be able to best that with ~5watts power draw.

12. rkaid

rkaid Member

Waiting patiently for mine. Shipping in May they say.........

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  13. RnR

RnR Member

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  14. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

RISC CPUs are a fair bit different to your conventional (CISC?) CPU, They'd be better at some things than your i7, but overall, your i7 would prove more useful.

15. rush

rush Member

It's an amazing effort, but I wonder what it really will be useful for? I mean I assume that in certain niche applications it will be a monster, but how niche?

Would it ace types of problem like the 'traveling salesman'?

16. chip

chip Member

Guess what? Internally, that i7 is pretty much a RISC CPU, it decodes all those nasty complicated x86 instructions

For these kinds of CPU, the RISC v CISC thing became a non issue at least a decade ago.

17. starkers92

starkers92 Member

I wonder if this thing would be any use for a bitcoin miner?

18. Jazper

Jazper Member

Probably not - 32 GFlops doesn't really compare to the 4.3 TFlops of a radeon 7970.

19. sam_allen

sam_allen Member

Even mining with GPU's is about to be useless with all the ASICs coming into the market...

I'm definitely interested in putting a few of these together though...

20. RnR

RnR Member

Not yet. When the 4k cores version comes out, perhaps.