9900KS basic testing

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by shane41, Nov 7, 2019.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

First thing I will test is Cinebench R15. This is a light test to see where each multi is vs volts.
    Bios is latest 2203. Apex X & Galax Hof 4000 rams. Ambient around 10-12c is my guess

No adjustments bios other than 50x multi 1.25vcore Dram 1.45v ... that's it.

It can boot fine & pass 50x & 51x like this. Auto settings there is some overshoot shown on cpu-z
    No concern at this time. Later testing I will grab llc5 to tame it.

[​IMG]

I'm showing you Ai Suite to adjust faster in windows. Set 1.28vcore for pass

[​IMG]

53x multi will require more energy in the bios later. Notice the Cinebench score did not go great.
    Processor is starving 1.35vcore. . Auto sub volts SA & IO will not help here. :thumbdn: Even ram AUTO haha
    It did BSOD & the clue was ram problem. Adjust SA & IO up on 1.225v see in app.

[​IMG]

I'm moving onto heavy testing. x265 4K ... previous experience 9900KF lasted x2 evenings of light OC
    Not good dead :Paranoid: This is the replacement, so I want to be sure I've got a good one here

chainbolt and Azzan like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

x265 with basic settings as above. 50x multi will like about 1.35v. So you could conclude from these settings, manual 50x 1.3v " average here "
    would run just about anything stable on your pc.

I've set targets to get near Hwbot on 50x or 51x multi for x265. 80fps 1080p & 20fps 4K ... then the tuning will be OK, that's limits off in the bios. Be gone power saving :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

adamsleath likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

OK this is where I got to. Not bad considering rams up & all the other settings as above screenshots. ie Basic AUTO
    What I did. Heavy ram timings in. Boot. The IMC chose for itself 1.25v IO 1.3v SA. Fine :thumbup: We'll go with that.
    So I pressed on the uncore 46x, 47x, 48x & saved this run. Remember this mostly AUTO bios. Power limits on & all power savings in play. You all can do this.
    ... even with XMP rams it will fly

[​IMG]

My next move will be de tune the rams a tad & see if that less load IMC can result a better score :Pirate:

4. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

Back to Cinebench again. I have just got to know if it will pass 54x. Believe me this is very tough with watercooling :Paranoid:
    Previous processors 8c16t have failed this. Ambient temp not bad this morning ... for an AUTO bios attempt. Dram 1.5v only

[​IMG]

Partha likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

Insight.
    With a new processor ... a few days I learn what it likes. I made 6 profiles. Tested a few ram types. These processors are never the same so you keep testing lite OC.
    Here is 2 minute result. Actually all up time about that. Load profile, OC in Ai Suite.

[​IMG]

6. Partha

Partha Member

Is there any software that you use to actually test the stability of the CPU for a longer periods of time ?

7. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

LinX 0.64 with gFlop outputs. That's my file linked. 0.65 version is a furnace = avoid d/l use of that one

http://www.mediafire.com/file/f1pbo2o3zmer500/LinX.zip/file

It's the best stress tester to show strength of settings, all bios improvements you make. If your system is unstable even x3 runs the outputs drop off as the V droops. Nice and even outputs is best

A problem size of 27 is heavy as prime 95. I'll settle for 18 problem size that's close for my uses, fast I dial in with this 15 minutes each multi.

Partha likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

This is full auto system ... no adjustments. For example. Passive no fans turned on radiators

[​IMG]

Partha likes this.
  9. Partha

Partha Member

Ah the reason I ask is I see plenty of users showing Cinebench 5.2 or 5.3 in even the original 9900K, but the moment you put it in Prime 95 small FFT, it fails. Obviously Cinebench stable is not really a "real" definition for stability, but Prime 95 stability takes hours to complete - I personally do 25 hours of Prime 95 small FFT followed by 30 runs of IBT at it's before I say it is really stable at that frequency. Hence I was wondering if there is a shorter and better way. Thanks for your answer and download link, appreciated.

10. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

https://hwbot.org/user/t8y

This guy was very helpful in the OCAU comps here. When I was rubbish learning on 3570K Ivybridge.
    He said LinX is all he used. 15 minutes & his system is dialed in.

But he went on further to say, his use of his machine over a week ie gaming & all the stuff he did. If unstable, he'd push Vcore up a tad.
    Really simple it's use LinX, but so powerful a tool :)

Partha likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

Cinebench I consider a light test. x265 4K is tough. But we will all struggle to get 53x going on 9900K type processors.
    It's physical size is too small to dissipate that amount of heat/ output in a heavy OC mode.
    Why I like the 8086K so much. It's just right for packing a punch 54x in benchmarks.

Roughly temps increase 15c per 100mhz frequency you OC. 8 cores is more like 20c each step.
    Why when I tackled a 55x Cinebench 8086K it had to be a frikken cold morning. x2 runs & the coolant is heated.
    Battle temps all the time. If your parts run cool you make better scores

Partha likes this.
  12. im late

im late Member

You are most definitely correct. bench stable and 24/7 stable are rarely the same thing. Benching is done for the score, who cares if it is stable.

However some nice people like aussie-revhead has a CB thread that also has a leaderboard for highest efficiency clocks.

This your "under 1.3v" 24/7 stable and highest clock.

So in summary some do benches for score chasing and some are looking for 24/7 operation and whatever clocks/scores they get are a bonus.

shane41 is your typical bencher, buying and binning multiple CPUS for the pure purpose of pushing as hard as he can chasing the scores for his OC team.

Some like him do it as a hobby, some do it professionally and get paid.

Partha likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

It's a very nice post man above :) it was good writing for the most part. But :Paranoid: Ha you know it when someone says but! look out. A gentle serve I promise.

The thing is. You have to be stable in your settings to pass a benchmark. Even bad ram timings will mostly bring you undone :sick: Apps not open, your cpu-z will bug. Bench will not run, shit freezes.
    Bad right.

What is the difference then? You tune your system to the best of your ability. Settings off, then you'll have a bad score. BUT :Paranoid: there it is again. Benchmarks will FaiL big time if your shit is not stable
    That's what overclocking is passing a test. Tuning for all different tests stable. Energy up^

Edit later. I'll talk about this heat 30c & passing easy benchmarks if you are lucky 50x. Below link it's difficult to achieve, screenshots to follow
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/9900ks-5-2-5-3-24-7.1274121/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  14. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

This is for Azzan. I hope matey you look here & see how bad an auto bios is. I caught the screenshot while processor loaded.
    These kind of temperatures can simulate a HOT pc case with gpu in it. + doing nothing with your settings.
    Clearly as I demonstrated in the first post, I could do manual 1.25v 50x multi. Taming the beast.

How can you know if you have a good processor OR not. Auto bios settings these processors all behave same/ similar

[​IMG]

Azzan likes this.
  15. Azzan

Azzan Member

Haha thanks mate.. I'm actually happy with my 9900KS now. It's not a silicon lottery winner(only like 4% chance anyway) but looks like it's got great IMC. :thumbup:

When I had 9900K and G.Skill 4133, I couldn't even run the RAM @ 3800. I thought it was most likely due to my mobo and most people agreed. That's why I ended up selling the RAM to replace with 64GB G.Skill 3600.. But ended up buying Team Excalibur 4000 RAM from Dannyboi again, and this time I can run XMP fine without any problem on same mobo. :)

16. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

Your welcome :) love your KS it should be pretty decent

17. spit051261

spit051261 New Member

Still think you had the RAM in the wrong slots :)
    If RAM does not run on XMP profile , it is faulty and you send it back .
    You obviously read the MOBO bumf for what RAM it could take ?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 4:17 AM
  18. Azzan

Azzan Member

lol dude, I'm not Verge..
    I've tried everything(inc only two sticks) and made bunch of threads at Tomshardware/Gigabyte forums but couldn't get it to run XMP(or close).

But now I don't have any trouble running XMP with Team Xcalibur 4000 RAM, and can also overclock RAM with much faster timing.. so now I know my mobo can handle 4000 without any problem.
    So it's most likely due to my old CPU's IMC or it could be due to some kind of compatibility issue between my mobo and G.Skill 4133 RAM(according to im late).

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 9:01 PM
  19. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

Achieved something today. #1 Enthusiast Overclocker HWbot :)

Not that I cared for it, my buddy cbjaust pushed me to do it.

So if there is some way I can encourage you on your overclocking journey? Post here.
    That's what the thread is about ease into a bios :leet:

Partha likes this.