A 3dfx Voodoo 5, Vortex2, Pentium III-S based Glide Beast Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by philscomputerlab, Jul 6, 2015.

1. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

In this video I am building the Ultimate 3dfx Voodoo 5 Glide Retro Gaming PC. This PC is a beast, delivering high end performance in Glide, OpenGL and DirectX games from the golden era of early 3D games. Storage performance is also impressive, achieving over 80 Megabytes per second.

The video features time lapse of me putting everything together. I talk about the parts I use, put everything together, tweak the BIOS, install Windows and drivers and finally show some benchmarks of the hard drive, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, GLQuake, Quake II and Forsaken.

Acer OEM S370 board with i815 chipset and StarTech CPU cooler

OEM boards often get neglected. I have two of these Acer boards, and they are faster than the Gigabyte GA-6VTXE and theAOpen MX3S-T. The BIOS has plenty of options, even allowing you to set memory timings. Very stable and had no issues with it.

[​IMG]

Intel Pentium III-S 1.4 GHz Tualatin 512 KB Cache

The Pentium III "Top Dog" so to speak. Doesn't get any better and bests the early Intel Pentium 4 processors.

[​IMG]

StarTech CPU cooler

Rated for Pentium III 1.4 GHz and having three latches on each side, spreads the load better than other coolers.

[​IMG]

512 MB SDRAM PC133

Rated at CL3, but does CL2 no problem. Got to have some RAM, 512 MB max for Windows 98 SS.

[​IMG]

AGP Voodoo 5 5500 power

What can I say? It's big, hungry, fast and beautiful. The fastest Glide card around and made for games such as Unreal.

[​IMG]

Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Diamond's cult classic sound card with Aureal's Vortex 2 chip and A3D surround over headphone technology

[​IMG]

120 GB SATA III drive

You know this was coming. I love using modern SATA III drives, limiting the capacity with SeaTools and using SATA to IDE adapter and the onboard IDE controllers.

[​IMG]

SATA to IDE adapter

Configured to Master. Not much to say, it gets the job done.

[​IMG]

Look at that performance

[​IMG]

IDE DVD-RW

Configured as slave and connected to the same IDE channel as the hard drive.

[​IMG]

GOTEK Floppy emulator

Can't go without it. It's cheap, reliable, looks nice, 100 images on a USB stick, why wouldn't you want to use one?

[​IMG]

The finished PC

Looks like a generic computer. But turn it on and be amazed at the Glide 3D performance this beast delivers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Benchmarks

Delivering, fast, smooth and beautiful frames to your brain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  2. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Looks like it's a cool video Phil! Sorry I haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but was wondering if you go into any detail about the PSU you use, and power draw of the setup?
    I ask because one of my main projects is a very similar build, but based around a BX board (so only 100MHz FSB) and Powerleap slotket, but the only trustworthy PSU here is a 250W Acer, so it would be good to know about the power side of things :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

PSU is a 420W Gigabyte PSU that came with the Gigabyte case. The Pentium III doesn't draw that much power, you could be fine. But 250W sounds awfully little.

4. Cannula

Cannula Member

A really nice video Phil! :thumbup:
    It's quite similar to one of my computers that I can see a corner of. :sick: I've just bought one of these boards for $30 so I'll have to give it a go.
    That system is the perfect combo for late Glide games and I love running through blood gibs in Q3A and hearing the blood falling around me, that sounds pretty f#&ked up as I type it but makes me want to play it with my favorite Diamond card again.

V5 + MX300 = :cool::Pirate::D:leet:

5. OP
    OP
    philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Thanks!

Really enjoyed building it. Was a bit rusty working with a case. Next build should be smoother.

6. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

Where are you guys getting the voodoo 5s and for how much?

7. jmannik

jmannik Member

This... very much this!

8. OP
    OP
    philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

I got it from a fellow OCAU guy. He sold up all his retro gear on eBay and when I saw a V4 and V5 locally in Aus, from a trusted source, I bit the bullet. It wasn't cheap, but they will retain their value.

9. shane41

shane41 Member

Through a narrow corridor, behind steel bars, under a concrete floor & a hidden safe that you lost the combination on :tongue:

Bust them machines free, build build build. :thumbup: I want to see them finally after all the hype that surrounds them

10. Cannula

Cannula Member

I've got a dual pentium and a NexGen to build during my holidays, can't wait. Oh it's spilled out and overtaken the laundry now so I'm doing all the washing since the misses won't go in there. :sick:

11. TaroT

TaroT Member

funny you should build this I had a voodoo 5 and I regret getting rid of it...did I mention it was a pci version....
    I swear from now I,m hording stuff.

as for glide....I just loaded up diablo 2.....with glide with a big 3DFX logo and it ran great on my fury x.
    I miss glide

12. shane41

shane41 Member

What is old is new again my friend. Hang on to stuff you cherish.
    Voodoo 5 gone mental expensive, mortgage your house :(

13. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Yeah I regret certain things in life, mainly chucking or selling great gear I now miss. One of the worst was giving my sister a fully loaded Mac with a V5 PCI and perfect Mitsubishi 19". She put it on the kerbside a couple of years later, it had barely been used :upset:

How is the V5 machine going Phil?

14. shane41

shane41 Member

Hardest thing seeing my trusty Sony tritron go. Had a issue unfortunately
    thought beyond me at the time to sort it. 10 Years straight I ran that beasty.
    Could never match the black level with any thing later. Prefered watch a dvd on it too. But the pic was too small. Midget size with later widescreen modes. Bah :rolleyes:

15. OP
    OP
    philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Well...

Dismantled again. I'm off working on the next build :)

Taking a bit of a break, got some video equipment incoming and need to sort all of that out before doing my next project.