A breakfast of Champions: Almond Milk & Almond Crepes (GF, Veg)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by RETARD, Dec 6, 2012.

1. RETARD

RETARD New Member

With a bag of Almonds in my kitchen repertoire, i knew i should create something healthy. Although this was not my first intention :D I could feel a Macaron fueled baking session brewing, yet It would be truly disappointing not to do any real justice with this healthy little nut.

As it happens ... Mrs RETARD has a slight intolerance to 'normal' milk. We generally buy A2 Milk. The process from which it is made doesn't cause her any tummy problems so the $5 we fork out for a couple of litres is highly justified.
    Almond Milk however is around 150% above that of our normal purchase & at $3 - $4 per litre, seems a bit crazy for what you will soon see is so easy to make.

To make the milk, you will want to start the process early in the day or the night before you plan to drink it. It will keep for 3 to 4 days in the fridge in a sealed container.
    Additionally to making milk, I thought why not make some crepes too :) It sounded like the ideal receptacle to use some left overs i had in the fridge & besides i find it amusing that crepe pronounced in a French accent sounds like the word Crap :D
    C'mon you know i'm right! I can totally imagine all of you in your minds voice saying crap ...
    how disturbing!

You'll be pleased to know, after trying this for the first time, Her Majesty Mrs TARD has given it the 'all clear' in both mouth feel and flavour. She best describes it as light & refreshing with no tummy upsets to date. That's good news. In fact today i purchased some more Almonds with the intent that once our regular milk runs out, this will now be our new milk of choice.
    Further reading has also intrigued my interest in other types of milk ... I think Oat milk will be on the agenda soon :)
    (PS - i would totally get 'the stare' for the 'Her Majesty' comment ... girls goto a secret school for this im sure - scary stuff!)

INGREDIENTS:
    Almond Milk
    • 1 cup raw almonds
    • 1 cup water for soaking, plus an extra 1 litre for creating the milk itself.
    • 6 dates OR 1T natural honey
    • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Almond Crepes:
    • 1 Cup plain flour (GF if required)
    • 1 tsp sugar
    • 240ml milk
    • 3 egg yolks

METHOD:
    Almond Milk
    1. Soak the Raw Almonds in 1 cup of water for 8 hours / overnight.
    At room temperature is ok. There is no need to refrigerate.

[​IMG]

2. Remove the soaking Almonds and discard the water.

3. At this stage you can remove the skins from the Almonds if you like (personally i don't like torturing myself so i kept them on) Place them into a blender with 1 litre of fresh water.

[​IMG]

4. Blend for 2 mins, then pass through a sieve into a large bowl. If you don't have a sieve fine enough just use a clean dish cloth spread over a collander to capture the ground Almonds

5. Discard any ground Almonds then blend again for a few seconds before sifting again.

6. This time, add some dates to the blender before pouring in the Almond Milk - At this stage the product is essentially a Vegan Milk. If you prefer add in honey (i didn't have any Dates) & some vanilla extract.

7. Blend & sieve 1 last time making sure you have captured all the small particles.
    We don't want little pieces of Almond when we drink. Its a nasty experience getting them caught in your throat as you drink.

8. Drink straight way OR do as i did and let it chill for a few hours. The flavour really gets nicer over night. You will notice a slight separation in the Almond Milk, when it has been sitting for a while. A light stir with a spoon will sort that out. You are now ready to drink it straight, have over cereal, or make crepes :) mmmm crepes!

[​IMG]

Almond Crepes:
    1. Simply combine the Flour, sugar, Almond Milk & egg yolks to a bowl and whisk lightly til a slightly runny batter has formed.

2. Grease a flat based fry pan with some butter over medium heat.

3. spoon over roughly 1/4 Cup of mixture directly to the middle of the pan.

4. You can tilt the pan if you wish to make the batter run to the ends, however i find it normally ends up in some deformed shape so i just let it disperse evenly from the centre.

5. After 60 - 90 secs lift up one edge to see if it has browned nicely. Flip and cook for a further 60 secs. Stack them on top of each other to the side (don't worry they won't stick) and repeat from step 2 again.

[​IMG]

6. Fill with the toppings of your choice.
    I filled one with some left over Camembert Cheese, vine ripened tomatoes, parsley & topped with salt n pepper.
    The other was the similar but with Homemade Sweet & Savoury Dip instead of the Camembert.
    Remember to leave some room to fold them with. I used a toothpick to hold in shape when serving.

[​IMG]

2. lavi

lavi Member

not bad, I normally add some vanilla essence to the crepe batter

3. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

I'm guessing RETARD left it out since there was some in the almond milk. :)

4. DeltaFX

DeltaFX Member

"[...] besides i find it amusing that crepe pronounced in a French accent sounds like the word Crap
    C'mon you know i'm right! I can totally imagine all of you in your minds voice saying crap ...
    how disturbing!
    "

Weird, I always though the "a" in crap sounded like in what, and the "è" (french writing) in crèpe was something like "hey". Well, it looks like generations of english teachers lied to me.

For salted crepes, replace half of the milk with beer (mmmh beeer) , no sugar, and a touch of salt.

Anyway, almond milk will be my new experiment. Thank you.

5. Lucifers Mentor

Lucifers Mentor Member

Almond milk recipe? Legen-non-dairy, thank you very much. I'd always been curious about making almond milk at home, but had never gotten around to hunting down a recipe.

6. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD New Member

Love the taste of Almond milk especially on these hot days.
    So refreshing, great way to start the day with some fruit :thumbup:

7. ph3var

ph3var Member

Buy a nut milk bag to squeeze the milk out of after blending.
    They are cheap and easy to use and clean.
    You can dry the "meal" after and eat or just through on the garden.

8. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD New Member

I have made the mistake of not filtering it enough once ... it was like choking on saw dust :lol:
    I don't have a nut bag so i tend to use a chux cloth to pour through a couple of times to filter the meal out 7 that works well.
    Where would one get a nut bag?
    I imagine you could just lightly dry the left over meal in oven on a low heat?

9. GTR27

GTR27 Member

You give those up when you get married.

I'm always a bit hesitant on non dairy milk as they all taste "funny" to me. A mate that is lactose intolerant raves about some soy milk, but I tried it and it tastes exactly like all the other soy milks ive tried.

Is almond milk as "sweet" tasting as soy? I cant describe it.....just sort of....off.

10. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD New Member

As its made with water is not as thick on the palate as cows milk.
    Almond milk is quite bland when done plain but this recipe you can sweeten it to your liking with the honey and vanilla extract.