1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Cabin In The Woods... Or Coast.. Mountain..or? Where would you do it?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by samos, Jun 17, 2019.

1. samos

samos Member

Hey guys, recently watched a Netflix doco which really got me going. People building small cabins on a tight budget (about 25K) and putting them in scenic locations in Wales. Looked incredibly relaxing.

Made me think: where would you build a cabin in Victoria that was scenic, but also dark enough to do some great stargazing and see the Milky Way at night?

Tasmania stands out as a great spot, and I'd love to eventually have a holiday home there which it is financially viable for me to do so, but in the meantime, I would like to entertain the idea of having one somewhere in Victoria. My father has always loved the idea of doing something like this as a getaway, but never did (sacrificed for us growing up, and it didn't interest my mother).

I'd be willing to travel anywhere one way for 5 hours, or even more to be honest.

So, if you had the option where would you do it, and why?

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Couldn't you just buy a tent and go camping instead? That way you aren't locked into one location.

3. Kurgan

Kurgan Member

I would get a van. For less than $25k you have a small cabin that can take you anywhere.

guy.incogneto likes this.
  4. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

The Land Tax rates are killing this long established dream of many that have holiday houses set up in Tasmania. There was a story on it not long ago will try and find it.

Many people had 'shacks' that were 40-50 years old and they were having to sell up as the increases were making it to expensive. Some of the places were way out woop-woop and would not be getting 'any of the services' they were having to contribute towards.

So a van could be a good idea.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...hack-owners-fear-end-to-gods-country/10555048

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  5. clonex

clonex Member

$7 a week doesnt seem like much at all, wtf they complaining about?

6. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

7. OP
    OP
    samos

samos Member

Van is probably more up my alley. I've rarely gone camping (though it's a cool experience) but I'd find the van more suitable. I just liked the idea of going to a log cabin, with a fire, in a picturesque area. Seems like a pipedream, but I wouldn't be doing it anytime soon. Just scoping out possible locations!

I remember seeing that on the news. Thought, fuck that'd be great to do that, but i'd probably head east coast of Tassie.

8. booboo

booboo Member

In Vic theres over 200 huts in the bush, your not meant to stay in them unless you have to. Some people do though, some have a wood heater and some have beds and benches. Others are just shelters in case you get stuck there, I'm not saying to stay in them but you could, or camp beside one and use it sometimes to get out of the wind.
    The ones Ive seen have varied from just good to get out of the rain to like something you would pay for. Note anyone could walk in anytime.

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Tinian and samos like this.
  10. clonex

clonex Member

Bold Eagle, are these people provided with any council services?

11. OP
    OP
    samos

samos Member

Can't wait to watch this tonight. Guy has balls of steel.

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I couldn't find the complete video - that one is cut short. It used to be up on YouTube, but it looks like it's vanished.

You can find it online at other places though. I'll see if I can find a better link. The original has way more footage of the build process, from start to finish.

I grabbed the full version off YouTube some time back (full length 57:28 according to ffprobe).

[edit]

Oh, you can actually buy them!
    http://www.dickproenneke.com/

That's going on my Christmas list. :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    samos likes this.
  13. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I assume they must be some (at least road access to their entry point (driveway, track, etc)) - to what extent would be unique to each user and unit (household/hut/abode).

14. OP
    OP
    samos

samos Member

Watched the 2 part series, plus the other 2 included.

Even at -240p, it was still enjoyable. Nothing groundbreaking once you've watched a whole heap of nature docs, but just the fact he lived 30 years at twin lakes, is remarkable. With all those f'ken bears around, too. Balls of steel + my respect levels are through the roof.

elvis likes this.
  15. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Cabin in the woods? I can imagine how that'll turn out.. :weirdo:

[​IMG]

bcann and samos like this.
  16. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

These people that go off into the wilderness and build a log cabin... do they have to have purchased that land that the house sits on? Or do they just go and stake out an area and claim it somehow? I fear around here, if you tried it, someone either owns the land already, or it's crown/national park and if they found out, you'd be kicked off and fined.