A Cheaper M1015 - the Dell H200 and a HOWTO Flash

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Aug 10, 2012.

1. TLF

TLF Member

Main PC is a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3.

Used to run two Perc 5is on the GB board, still running one although been testing without it for now.

Have already flashed it to IT mode although with BIOS, but can you just leave off the -b mptsas2.rom switch without any problems?

If I can't get it working though it's not the end of the world, just gives me an excuse to upgrade my gaming PC and can reuse the server hardware for a HTPC for my mum.

2. sreg0r

sreg0r Member

I'm running it on a Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H with Ubuntu and so far it has "just worked". I spent ages trying to figure out how to boot into an EFI shell to flash the BIOS, but apparently this is an issue on all Gigabyte boards so gave up.

I'd recommend upgrading your bios and fiddling with the random settings and seeing how far that gets you.

3. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Thats pretty much it. There's about a zillion guides scattered around.

"reason" to upgrade :D :thumbup:

4. TLF

TLF Member

Damn it all to hell.

Really bad news, flashing the card without the bios worked, now I don't have an excuse to build a new gaming PC :(

Cheers for the help everyone.

PS: Never underestimate my stupidity, first time I tested the card after I got it working, I installed a drive in a bay and it took me a good 4-5 minutes to figure out the reason it wasn't working was because I forgot to connect the SAS cable to the card.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  5. 7nothing

7nothing Member

Are some pictures/text missing from original post?

I've flashed a bunch of ex-IBM cards, did first H200 today, found these instructions and downloads to be the best guide (though still a bit erratic):

http://blog.michael.kuron-germany.d...dell-perc-h200-to-lsi-9211-8i/comment-page-1/

Always had to do via UEFI due to that PAL error in dos. Now have 1 H200 and 2 M1015s happily running (had to crack the case off one of my USB freenas boot drives) to clear the heatsink of the H200.

Much SAS for FreeNAS

Click to view full size!

6. TLF

TLF Member

Looking at getting an expander for my 9211-8i, I'm assuming this should do the trick although if anyone has any recommendation on a better place to buy one it would be appreciated.

Only thing is it's listed as RES2SV240NC, I'm assuming that the NC stands for no cables although the same seller has this listed which sell for about $100 more.

Also assuming the RES2SV240NC is ok does anyone have a recommendation on where to pick up a short SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable to connect the controller to the expander?

7. 7nothing

7nothing Member

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to get another HBA? Unless you have a x4 slot but are out of x8's, even then, if there are no components in the way just cut the back out of the slot :)

Have bought the cheapest 50cm cables eBay has to offer, they do feel pretty cheap but don't seem to have leaked any of my bits onto the floor yet...

8. TLF

TLF Member

I will come up a little short on needed ports with just a second 9211-8i, anyway guess I will just try and wait for another decent price on the RES2SV240 to show back up since I wasnt fast enough and one person brought the last 10 expanders from that ebay listing.

9. 7nothing

7nothing Member

Ah right, I was thinking it'd just take 2 8087 4 port connections and give you 4x 4 port out, but see from the spec it looks like 4 channels will give you 16 (or 8 will give you 20, which seems like a pretty shit deal, 4 more in gives 4 more out, doesn't that make it a waste of 1 cable?)

http://ark.intel.com/products/60297/Intel-RAID-Expander-RES2SV240NC#@specifications

"The RES2SV240NC SKU does not contain cables." sounds like you're right on the NC.

10. Spark64

Spark64 Member

What about Chenbro?

11. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

For those having a PAL error, there is no fix im afraid. What you need to do is find the oldest machine you own.

I have a core2quad here in an asus board that is a great card bios burner, so yea if anyone has issues i can flash your card.

12. 7nothing

7nothing Member

Flashing from UEFI has been the solution every time I've come across it.

It's a shame that the successor to BIOS is just a far more complicated and still significantly limited solution, but, that's technology.

13. amason

amason Member

Thanks a bunch Stanza, have 2 of these in servers running solid for a few years now. My contribution, albeit pretty late: The Integrated one is just like the regular one, you can just unscrew the black plastic bit and it'll fit in the slot. If it were me, and I saw one cheap, I wouldn't worry about the lack of metal bracket (or find one and bolt it on).

Andy

14. Sarquiss

Sarquiss Member

Great write-up. About to buy one and just wanted to see if anyone else is running one of these in a HP Microserver Gen8?

15. frenchfries

frenchfries Member

I have that expander and its the other way around ie. 8 to host gives 16 drives and 4 to host gives 20 drives.

Specs look like a typo.

BTW it's a very nice expander, no fuss. I use 8 ports to the host.

16. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Has anyone experienced issues with P20.00.07.00 firmware?

I've (un)successfully crossflashed a Fujitsu D2067 A11 and Dell H310 to 9211-8i P20-IT via both sas2flsh.exe and sas2flash.efi and both cards are experiencing the same issue...

Pre-flash the OEM Bios can see 6of6 SATA drives connected across both channels . Post-flash both cards can only see the same 2of6 drives across both channels regardless of fan out cable connected port & channel - i.e. even if I change the drive connections around the cards will still only see the same 2x drives.

At first I thought it might be an issue with the modified D2067 A11/A21 firmware however the exact same issue is present on the H310 card, same drives.

I'm going to try again with P19 or P18 firmware and without a Bios, maybe even try a fresh download of the 9210-8i P20 firmware from the Broadcom website.

17. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Followup - no such issues experienced by others according to this thread which includes one the few flashing guides across the internet for both the D2607 & H310 cards.

From further troubleshooting and as per my latest post in that thread, it appears that the 9211-8i IT mode 20.00.07.00 FW cannot detect some drives which work fine in other PCs and were detected by the cards with their OEM IR mode FW.

[edit] no issues with P20.00.07 FW, only user error!

I've just tried the drives on a SAS3008 controller (M1215 flashed to 9300-8i P14 IT-mode) and the drives wouldn't show either. I had originally thought it was a SATA150 limitation but discounted it as the WD Raptor was working at this speed, with this in mind I checked over the drives again and the "force SATA150/300" jumper was in place at 150 for all that't weren't detecting on the 3x HBAs.

Jumper removed = drives detected, I could have saved a heap of time by being a bit more thorough and less hasty jumping to conclusions.
    [/edit]

Anyway, back on topic for this thread - The Fujitsu D2607 was the cheapers SAS2008 card I could find on eBay by a decent margin (the M1015 is not much cheaper than a SAS3008 card I bought).

The D2607 crossflash procedure is a little more complicated to defeat the "mfg page 2" vendor lock but it works OK and the heatsink is superior to the Dell H200 & H310 cards (which are also more involved to cross-flash compared to a M1015).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  18. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Me too. Then again, the Op is 8 years old. Wonder of Stanza is still around? Time to upload them to OCAU pics?

ae00711 likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    Stanza

Stanza Member

Yeah guys, still around.... canceled my webhost.... yes will have to upload them somewhere else

ae00711 likes this.