A Day at the Nascar

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Munkiboy, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Munkiboy

Munkiboy Member

Living in America we try to take in as many of the unique cultural events and opportunities that we can. My wife had a work event at the Duck Commander 500 so we got a sitter in and both flew across country to check it out. Now I like motorsport (F1 and WRC mostly), but like most Aussie's probably held a somewhat lower opinion of Nascar. It really is insane though, the Texas Motor Speedway holds 180K+ people. It isn't all "shake and bake" but some of the fans take it pretty seriously indeed.

While wifey got a spot in a nice corporate tent, I had general admission tickets and roamed around trying to capture the feel of the place. What follows are some of those images.

Pre-race it all happens in field. Outside the track the vendor stands and other 'free' entertainment is there, but the pre-race concert happens on the infield. You can enjoy it without an infield ticket but only with the view you get from the stands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some static displays let you get up close to the cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you're done outside it is time to head to the infield. Delays were incurred due to rain and they had the track driers out. These things are noisy, but only a prelude of what is to come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally access is given to the general rabble and we head infield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Race preparations are under way but it will be a long time before we see action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The airforce was there and they swore in some new airmen. Official photographer was there to capture the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And american hearts swelled with pride.

[​IMG]

The crowd gathered in anticipation of watching aging rockers Lynyrd Skynyrd (sans the Rebel flag unfortunately, recent events have seen them abandon the stars and bars).

Meanwhile the crews are getting everything just right.

[​IMG]

While the drivers attend the pre-race briefing. Some of them seem to be really nice guys, or at least understand how important the fans are to their career. Others seem to be just arrogant ass-hats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, the band has started. Not sure if it is because it is the only thing to do at the time, or Nascar fans are the target audience but the Skynyrd went down well with the punters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, it rained again, so back out with the umbrellas, and the track drying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon it was clear the race was going to go ahead so time for the anthem.

[​IMG]

And to get everyone off the track.

[​IMG]

As night set in, it got colder as the wind pickedup. I was dressed for a warm Texas spring day, so this was going to be uncomfortable.

[​IMG]

The crews started pushing out the cars to the starting positions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we're racing...

[​IMG]

300+ laps takes some time, and everyone is hungry and thirsty, so the concession stands are still busy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stayed for around 80 laps but with the delayed start and cold weather, we called it quits early. It was fun, loud, and great people watching, but now we have done it, I can say I'm happy to leave it to the true fans.

[​IMG]

2. Rezin

Rezin Member

Amazing shots. Wish I was in your shoes. :)

3. disco frank

disco frank Member

pretty much

Im still not sure why they dont run in the rain with rain tyres

4. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Cool set - just like being there!*

*I imagine.